Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#205350 - 03/13/21 11:08 PM Water Safety
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
I live and hike mostly in the Olympic Mountains. Sometimes I drink from streams that I know don't pass through commonly traveled areas. one of my friends commonly does that. We have never been sick from that. I carry coffee filters but if the water is crystal clear I don't even bother with them. I almost always is. Typically coffee filters are made up of filaments approximately 20 micrometres wide, which allow particles through that are less than approximately 10 to 15 micrometres. So it is far from perfect. What do you do? Boil, filter with a real filter? Drink directly from the stream if you know the source and feel safe about it? Ever been sick from drinking wilderness water?
I grew up decades ago hiking in the Cascade Mountains and no one ever considered ever filtering or boiling the water then. Maybe things have changed.

#205351 - 03/14/21 12:02 AM Re: Water Safety [Re: Jim M]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I drank directly from mountain streams for decades before I ever purchased or used a water filter. During that time I personally had one bout of illness I directly attributed to bad water, in Rocky Mt. National Park, when I was about 17 years old. It was a miserable experience, but I survived. My brother and his wife also fell prey to giardia once. They also survived, but it was not a happy experience either.

These days I will still drink directly from a mountain water source, even though I carry a water filter, but only when I can see that the water is emerging from a clear, cold and copious spring a short distance from where I collect the water. I regard filtering clear, fast running water to be mostly an overabundance of caution, but it isn't entirely a baseless superstition.

#205352 - 03/14/21 12:30 AM Re: Water Safety [Re: aimless]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
I'm with Aimless on this one. We filter our water in the Sierra unless it is right out of a spring. humans and animals upstream from where you are drinking can contaminate the water, and bacteria is a lot smaller than 20 microns.

I've had Giardia once, probably from a large river in the Sierra.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#205356 - 03/14/21 12:05 PM Re: Water Safety [Re: Jim M]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
I filter almost all water (when I say filter I'm talking about using a Steripen) regardless of how clean it looks. I had amoebic dysentery once which pretty much scared me off from ever drinking untreated water. Granted it was in Saudi Arabia years ago, but the experience is something I don't ever want to have again.

#205358 - 03/14/21 04:13 PM Re: Water Safety [Re: Jim M]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
I’ll drink straight from snowmelt and springs or seeps. But we boil most other sources. Some of the silty streams in canyon country will plug any filter almost immediately. The issue there is boiling might not be enough because of Cyanobacteria. The toxins are not removed by boiling and might be increased by rupturing the Cyanobacteria. So along our routes we look for springs and seeps and tend to carry more water than most folks do.

#205367 - 03/15/21 11:34 PM Re: Water Safety [Re: Arizona]

If you have the time, you can let silty water settle...or we strain it through a banana...to try to keep that filter working. Sometimes it does.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#205369 - 03/16/21 10:09 AM Re: Water Safety [Re: balzaccom]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
Originally Posted By balzaccom
If you have the time, you can let silty water settle...or we strain it through a banana...to try to keep that filter working. Sometimes it does.

True and as you probably know collapsible buckets are sometimes carried for this purpose and folks relate “funny” stories about the buckets collapsing and loosing the water sometimes. But on the same idea stream we do look for small pools or potholes where the silt has settled somewhat.

The silt in canyon country can be so fine that it is very hard to clean it from a ceramic filter at all and usually plugs up after the first time very quickly.

#205370 - 03/16/21 11:17 AM Re: Water Safety [Re: balzaccom]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By balzaccom

With or without the peel? :-)

#205401 - 03/24/21 10:01 AM Re: Water Safety [Re: JustWalking]

Just went back and reread this thread. To be honest, we've never tried filtering water through a banana.

But a bandana often works.

#206712 - 11/12/22 10:38 PM Re: Water Safety [Re: balzaccom]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
even "ground water" came from someplace. Only a microporous filter can remove giardia etc, besides filtering makes bad water taste cleaner. Boiling works but can still taste bad. Jim

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum