Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#205340 - 03/12/21 06:43 PM How does weight loss impact pack fitting?
Cosmic Offline

I am currently quite obese, roughly 100 pounds from the "ideal" weight for my height. I am making sweeping changes to my diet and exercising weekly, so far I have lost just under 20 pounds and am familiar with losing weight and all the fun that comes with it.

I've decided to, heavily, incorporate hiking on 'easy/moderate' trails this summer and have been putting together gear lists and trying to figure out how I am going to equip myself when I am out hiking. I currently have a 23 Liter Camelbak bag from Sportsman's Warehouse. I don't think this is probably very good for the kind of hiking I am hoping to do in the long-term.

I believe I 'need' or should get an actual daypack from a place like REI with proper support. I believe I will eventually want a 21-35L daypack as I currently don't plan to do any overnight stays (but may want to later).

My question is whether or not I should wait until I lose substantially more weight before going out and getting a more suitable/nicer daypack. I know that daypack fittings are based on torso height/width. I don't see the height changing over my weight loss journey, but am not sure if the width will significantly change enough to make it worth the weight.

Any information anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

#205341 - 03/12/21 10:37 PM Re: How does weight loss impact pack fitting? [Re: Cosmic]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
So two things:

1. You are right, the fit is what matters, and if your body changes a lot, that will change how pack fits.

2. The standard advice is to buy all the gear that goes in your pack first...as that will then tell how big a pack you need.

You don't say what you're going to be carrying in this pack, but we've day-hiked for years and years with a small daypack. The bigger the pack, the more likely you are to fill it with stuff you won't use.

Hope that helps.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#205364 - 03/15/21 03:27 PM Re: How does weight loss impact pack fitting? [Re: balzaccom]
Cosmic Offline

Appreciate the response. I don't intend to carry much outside the "Ten Essentials". My main extra's will be some form of rain protection, maybe dry socks and that's about it. I would like to carry my DSLR camera, but have not found a way to do it comfortably yet.

#205366 - 03/15/21 11:32 PM Re: How does weight loss impact pack fitting? [Re: Cosmic]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Yeah, a big camera can be a pain in the neck, literally. And if you take it in your pack, it's never ready when you want to take a photo.

I've settled on a little pocket point and shoot...and leave the pro photography to those with stronger neck muscles.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#205381 - 03/16/21 05:58 PM Re: How does weight loss impact pack fitting? [Re: Cosmic]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Get what works for you now. For a daypack, fit is not that critical. Sure changes in body affect fit, but you will have a lot more increase in comfort from the weight loss than any increase in discomfort from an ill-fitting daypack.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum