Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#205080 - 12/14/20 01:55 AM $500 for new gear
BusmasterJ Offline

Loc: Texas
I have basic gear that was meant for camping, but not backpacking (think Academy or Wal-Mart tent, sleeping bag, etc.). I am looking to upgrade for backpacking. I have a decent backpack and footwear. What would be the best use of $500 to upgrade.

I am thinking a light sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and a good tent, but I am looking for options I might be missing. What other misc gear might I need?

Thanks for the help.

#205082 - 12/14/20 04:20 AM Re: $500 for new gear [Re: BusmasterJ]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
There are a number of YouTube videos on the subject of backpacking gear on a budget.

On her Homemade Wanderlust channel, Dixie has several:

Budget gear list: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEe7w5C_e1Y
Review of same gear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1lzPuyX7bM

#205085 - 12/14/20 08:51 AM Re: $500 for new gear [Re: BusmasterJ]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Actually, Academy gear will work for backpacking - it's heavy and bulky, and it may wear out sooner, but it will work (I used that kind of gear my first couple of years, replacing it as I got some experience and learned what features I really valued in gear. Of course, I also was a bit limited in when I could backpack and how far I could hike in a day - but I still had fun.

You don't mention a stove or cook kit - if you don't already have something, that might be your first investment My own preference is Snow Peak, though I'm toying with the idea of a Toaks alcohol stove and pot set. Depending on the trips you're taking, you might consider a water filter (in my case, a Vecto 2L bag and 1L Vesica bottle, both from CNOC, and a HydroBlu VersaFlow filter.) If you have those, I'd probably upgrade my tent first, then sleeping bag. (A good tent will give you a better shot at keeping you and your sleeping bag dry in bad weather; a wet expensive sleeping bag is just as worthless as a wet cheap bag.

If you're needing to replace several pieces of gear or need some clothing, you might take a look at REI's house brand of clothing, packs, tents, and sleeping bags - a little on the heavy side (but probably lighter and better quality than you've got now), and usually well-made and more affordable.

#205086 - 12/14/20 12:12 PM Re: $500 for new gear [Re: Glenn Roberts]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
All good ideas here, but if I wanted to spend money on something to cut my packweight while upgrading the quality of my gear, I think I'd spend it on a tent, where I can probably cut more than a pound of pack weight, and often two or three.

I'm currently delighted with a Henry Shires Rainbow tarptent that would use up a chunk of that money---but would come in well below three pounds, and has full-comfort: bug netting and all.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#205088 - 12/15/20 01:50 PM Re: $500 for new gear [Re: Glenn Roberts]
BusmasterJ Offline

I'm watching the Dixie video now. Thanks so much!

Good point on the cook kit. I have not done much research there yet. I've seen a few DIY using tuna cans, but I haven't spent enough time on cooking.

I will definitely replace a bit over time. I found a good deal on a discontinued REI sleeping bag so I grabbed that. That will drop several pounds from my pack with just that upgrade. I like the REI stuff that I have seen so far.

On the water filter, I was looking at Sawyers, but am interested in your comment. Any reason that you picked Versa over others on the market? How do you like it?

The tarp tent looks good. I'm not sure I'm ready to forego a kit tent yet, but I will save off the link for when I am ready.

Thanks for the tips!

Edited by BusmasterJ (12/15/20 01:54 PM)

#205089 - 12/15/20 02:59 PM Re: $500 for new gear [Re: BusmasterJ]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Forgive me BusmasterJ, what's a "kit tent"? I thought maybe this was a regional difference in terms, but I see we're in the same state.

#205090 - 12/15/20 03:15 PM Re: $500 for new gear [Re: BusmasterJ]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
It sounds like a I'm a bit too late to affect much, but in my opinion the best bang for your buck in backpacking equipment is a sleeping bag. A quality down sleeping bag is so much more effective and lightweight than the cheap stuff... and a quality bag is an investment that will last a long time. I still use my parents REI bags they bought in the '70's. In comparison tents wear out. Poles break; zippers break; fabric tears; but mostly the waterproofing just wears out over time. Sleeping pads will obviously pop sooner or later. Get a good bag and don't abuse it; you can use it for a long time.

For a bag recommendation. You probably got a decent one from REI. My personal favorite is Enlightened Equipment. They are a small cottage online only shop out of Minnesota. You save quite a bit of money because they only sell direct and don't have to give a reseller a cut. They save more money and weight by selling quilts. You don't get the backside insulation (that doesn't provide any insulation anyway). For ~$300 you can get a phenomenal piece of kit.

#205091 - 12/15/20 05:30 PM Re: $500 for new gear [Re: BusmasterJ]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
The main reason I went with the VersaFlow was that it came in a bundle with 2 Vecto 2-liter containers on the CNOC website; at the bundled price, one of the containers was essentially free.

Functionally, the VersaFlow is pretty much the same as the Sawyer. However, a few of the design features simply fit my "style" better - i.e., are more convenient to me. (Don't underestimate how much your personal preferences influence "convenience.") I like that both ends of the filter have female threads, so you can attach a container to each end without a "coupler." The input and output holes on each end also have little caps that fit over them when not in use, greatly reducing the chances of cross-contamination of the clean-water outlet and also preventing the filter from draining into the pack pocket and, eventually, down your leg. It also has a little window on the side that helps you visualize how "dirty" the filter has become and prompts you to backflush. (Oh, yeah - you backflush by squeezing a container of clean water, not by using a little syringe with a tenuous connection to the filter.)

But, if you prefer the Sawyer, you're getting a similar filtration system - and the CNOC containers are compatible with it.

The CNOC Vecto and Vesica containers are a whole lot easier to deal with than the Sawyer POS bottles. The Vecto opens at the bottom, so you can "scoop" water easily, then seal and attach the small-neck opening to your filter. (You can't really "scoop" with the Sawyer bottle, and need to find a small falls you can put the bottle under to fill it.) The open bottom also helps dry them after a trip.

Any filter will eventually clog into unusability, so don't forget to take some purification tablets as backup. For some reason, filters only seem to fail during a trip.

#205204 - 01/13/21 12:40 AM Re: $500 for new gear [Re: 4evrplan]
BusmasterJ Offline

"Kit tent" is a term I had heard used for a tent with rainfly, poles, etc that comes as a "kit." This is as opposed to a tarp and hiking poles.

#205205 - 01/13/21 12:43 AM Re: $500 for new gear [Re: Glenn Roberts]
BusmasterJ Offline

Thanks for all the advice. I'll be out and about using them in a couple of months, so I'll have time to act on what I read here. Thank you!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum