Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#203181 - 07/14/19 09:01 PM Second thoughts about freezer-bag meal prep?
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Like most of you, I've been mostly adding water to my freeze-dried (or home-prepared) meals, letting them rehydrate in the pouch, and then eating from the pouch. The advantages are obvious: no clean-up except licking your spoon; your pot/mug can be used for a hot beverage; no scorched food if you leave it in the pot on the stove. Also, you can use a bag cozy to keep it hot (though that's one more piece of gear to haul.)

Lately, I've been toying with the idea of rehydrating in my pot. I don't often drink a hot beverage with my meal. I've been noticing that eating from the bag is a bit messier (unless you cut off the top of the bag after it rehydrates) because you're pulling the food from the bottom of, well, a hole. You also end up with a wet, slimy, smelly piece of trash.

Any thoughts about which you'd rather have - no clean-up, or drier, tidier garbage?

#203185 - 07/14/19 09:40 PM Re: Second thoughts about freezer-bag meal prep? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
If I'm carrying commercial freeze dried meals, I usually eat out of the bag. If I'm carrying meals that I prepared (more common), I usually hydrate in the pot or in another vessel that I brought for that purpose. It's nice to have one pot that is just used to heat water. I can carry one meal in a microwave storage container and then use it for other meals after the first use. The biggest problem that I have with freezer bags is that they almost always leak at the corners.

#203190 - 07/15/19 04:40 AM Re: Second thoughts about freezer-bag meal prep? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I don't like eating out of a bag, so I use a 2-cup Ziploc screw-top container with a cozy made from an auto sunshield (less than 2oz. combined). I'm not a big eater, so if I use a freeze-dried meal, I divide it in two ahead of time and rehydrate in the bowl.
It stays hot longer, so I can rehydrate a bit longer if needed. As you mentioned, a hot drink is possible this way also. It takes up some space, but a small fuel cartridge fits nicely in it.

So I guess I'm in the drier-garbage camp (pun intended).

#203195 - 07/15/19 06:05 AM Re: Second thoughts about freezer-bag meal prep? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
I keep thinking that I will try using a separate container instead of the freezer bag and I even bought a collapsible cup but when it comes time to leave I just leave it home.

#203198 - 07/15/19 07:37 AM Re: Second thoughts about freezer-bag meal prep? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
I made a Reflectix cozy that fits over my Jetboil. It is in two parts, main body and lid. The lid is the right size to hold the freezer bag like a bowl. Not as good as eating directly out of a regular bowl but OK.

#203209 - 07/15/19 04:01 PM Re: Second thoughts about freezer-bag meal prep? [Re: PerryMK]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
My hatred of washing dishes still outweighs any mess caused by the freezer bag, which will end up in the garbage whether used to rehydrate the meal or just to contain the dry meal. If I were going to switch from the freezer bag, it would be to a plastic Ziplock container with reflectix insulation. (I have one but have never used it) A long-handled spoon is, of course, mandatory for eating from the freezer bag.

I still have two freezer bag cozies from the wonderful Sarbar, who pioneered "Freezer Bag Cooking" and who (after some hiatus caused by moving to Whibey Island and starting an organic farm) is still around at trailcooking.com I believe she is no longer making the cozies, though.

Edited by OregonMouse (07/15/19 04:02 PM)

#203217 - 07/15/19 09:07 PM Re: Second thoughts about freezer-bag meal prep? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
I've gone back and forth. Used to eat out of either the freeze-dried food bag, or ziploc bags I repackaged the meals into. Then I started to just reheat in my pot, but found cheesy meals (which I love) a bit of a pain to clean, so I'm back to eating out of bags. But I put the bag into a plastic cup, and roll the sides of the bag down around the cup, to make eating easier and more enjoyable.

#203218 - 07/15/19 09:08 PM Re: Second thoughts about freezer-bag meal prep? [Re: OregonMouse]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
"A long-handled spoon is, of course, mandatory for eating from the freezer bag."

Not if, after rehydrating the meal, you simply cut the meal bag in half horizontally. Much easier and neater to eat that way.

#203220 - 07/15/19 10:41 PM Re: Second thoughts about freezer-bag meal prep? [Re: JustWalking]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Unless you have to put the bag down, in which case your meal is all over the ground!

Cutting the bag also means you have more garbage--instead of being contained in the used bag, you need a second bag to keep the first one sealed up.

Edited by OregonMouse (07/15/19 10:44 PM)

#204566 - 06/29/20 08:14 PM Re: Second thoughts about freezer-bag meal prep? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
yer supposed to take a side of beef tied to a spare horse when ya go campin. Eatin rewarmed powder out of a bag aint the way a man camps. Get real, I mean eat real food when ya camp because you can and not worry about the calories. Just my .02 Jim

#204569 - 06/29/20 09:34 PM Re: Second thoughts about freezer-bag meal prep? [Re: Jimshaw]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Side of beef? You call that real man food? It doesn't even have hair on it! wink

#204730 - 08/25/20 10:20 AM Re: Second thoughts about freezer-bag meal prep? [Re: JustWalking]
a_gunslinger Offline

>>>But I put the bag into a plastic cup, and roll the sides of the bag down around the cup, to make eating easier and more enjoyable.

Thats a good idea.

Edited by a_gunslinger (08/25/20 10:20 AM)

#204732 - 08/25/20 10:24 AM Re: Second thoughts about freezer-bag meal prep? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
a_gunslinger Offline

I met a hiker once that hated doing dishes and the mess of the freeze dried meal bags. She brought some cheap flimsy paper plates. Dump meal on plate and eat it. After wards she would put a few drops of camp fuel on it, did a hole, then burn the plate. Odd, but intriguing.

#204819 - 09/18/20 01:52 PM Re: Second thoughts about freezer-bag meal prep? [Re: aimless]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
When I said side of beef I meant the whole thing including 2 hooves. Jim lol

#205119 - 12/27/20 09:51 AM Re: Second thoughts about freezer-bag meal prep? [Re: Jimshaw]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
you only have to be careful using the first F.D.meal...once done that becomes the "trash bag" complete with a ziploc to keep the mess where it belongs. if you are carefull in packing that bag you should be able to get,at least a weeks worth of trash in it. comes in handy when passing a "maintained" trash collection site.

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (12/27/20 09:53 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum