Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#204797 - 09/13/20 12:13 PM The optimal length of a sleeping bag
marcosII Offline

Loc: romania
Hello
I kept reading about sleeping bags on different sites and came across two ideas:
1. A sleeping bag should be 20-30 cm longer than the user's height.
2. It is not good for the bag to be longer than the user's height because it creates air gaps that are harder to heat, so you may be cold. It must be as tight as possible on the body.
From your experience, which idea is correct?
What would be a good ratio between the person’s height and the length of the bag?
What would be the advantages and disadvantages of a bag a few tens of centimeters longer than the height of the user compared to one of only a few centimeters?

#204798 - 09/13/20 04:50 PM Re: The optimal length of a sleeping bag [Re: marcosII]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
As I found out a few years ago when I had bad plantar fascitis, when you are fully relaxed (as in sleep), your feet go into the pointy toe position (I didnt recover until I started using night splints). So if your sleeping bag is the same length as your height, your toes wil be pushing the foot of the bag. Besides, if you are wearing a fleecy hat and thick sleeping socks (which you will on cold nights), you need an extra inch or two to accomodate them.

This sets up a situation where if you are just an inch too tall (for example) a medium bag and way too short for a long bag, you have to decide. I'd get the long bag in this case., uness you always sleep curled up.

I bought long bags for my grandkids (figuring they'd grow into them, which they did) and, while they were still small, tied a string around the foot to eliminate the extra air space. Once they hit their teens, the extra space vanished!

In freezing weather, you'll need to share the bag with your water filter. your fuel canister, and possibly a hot water bottle and battery-operated items, so be sure to allow enough room for these items.

#204800 - 09/14/20 09:31 AM Re: The optimal length of a sleeping bag [Re: OregonMouse]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Yup, I agree with OM. Your "sleeping height" is taller than your "standing height" because your toes extend when you sleep. A quality bag manufacturer will take this into account and size there bags according to your standing height. If you plan on making the bag yourself then your going to need to make it longer than your "standing height".

You don't want dead space at the end of you bag because then your toes will have to heat up that air. Get the bag to fit your needs.

#204803 - 09/14/20 04:58 PM Re: The optimal length of a sleeping bag [Re: marcosII]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I also agree with OM. Unless you make the bag yourself, or can find someone to custom build it, you're going to be choosing between a short, medium, or long bag. Each will give a height range; just choose the one that is taller than you are. For example, I'm 5'10", so my choices are usually short ("fits to 5 feet 8 inches"), regular ("fits to 6 feet"), and long ("fits to 6 feet 6 inches.")

I choose the regular, even though it's about 2 inches too long. If I chose the shorter bag, my feet would press against the bottom of the bag, compressing the down there so it's not insulating my feet. In the regular, I've got plenty of length, and I've never noticed the "extra space to heat up" to be a significant problem (or even noticeable.) Some people I've camped with do get cold feet; they simply stuff a down vest, wool shirt, etc., to fill up the excess space, and the problem is solved. I used to carry down booties when it got really cold, which worked very well.

I don't know what conditions you'll camp in, but you might consider a quilt - essentially a sleeping bag without the hood or the underside. Without the hood, you don't have any real issues with the foot; you just put it loosely around your feet. Length is only an issue to the extent that you want your shoulders covered; if it's too long, just tuck the excess around your shoulders. You can extend the temperature range of the bag by also sleeping in a hooded down jacket and down pants (and down booties, if your feet are cold.)

#204804 - 09/15/20 03:44 AM Re: The optimal length of a sleeping bag [Re: marcosII]
marcosII Offline

Loc: romania
Thank you for answers.
Maybe in US, but here in Europe we have all sorts of sizes. Starting from 165-170cm you could find it at 180/190/200/210cm and so on.
I was thinking of a summer bag with a 10°C comfort temperature, and I don't think that I will use it at altitudes above 700 meters.

#204806 - 09/15/20 02:18 PM Re: The optimal length of a sleeping bag [Re: marcosII]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Because cold is of minimal concern at 10°C or warmer, I would prefer a sleeping bag large enough to ensure I did not feel unduly constricted. You can easily wear something in the bag to compensate for any chill you might feel at 10°C.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum