Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#204434 - 05/24/20 04:52 PM Tent footprint question
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
This is something I've wondered about for years so finally I'm asking. Why do people use purchased footprints for their tents? Or make them from Tyvek or other special fabrics?

My understanding of the footprint is it helps prevent tent wear by preventing the tent floor rubbing in the dirt when one is in the tent, preventing water from soaking through, and preventing minor twigs or pebbles from poking through.

I've always used a Hefty Lawn bag cut down the sides and folded open lengthwise. It's big enough to cover the area of the tent that I will be putting weight on, is waterproof, and being a lawn bag is puncture resistant. Plus they're cheap. If it sticks out from the tent, I shove it under the tent. I see no particular advantage for it to match the tent perfectly; it just needs to protect the area of wear.

I have no idea what it weighs but it isn't much. One bag can be re-used many times, probably as many as most fabrics.

Am I missing something? I know, do whatever you want, HYOH, etc. But is there an advantage to Tyvek or custom footprints?

#204435 - 05/24/20 11:47 PM Re: Tent footprint question [Re: PerryMK]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I think the manufacturer's footprints are just a time-and-trouble saver, and of course they add some profit margin.

Tyvek doesn't seem it has any advantages. It's fairly puncture-resistant, but not really waterproof. I tried it once, and it seemed to pick up lots of dirt and moisture, when compared to polyethylene sheeting.

In Beyond Backpacking, Ray Jardine says, "I think the interest in this material is based more on the name, which has sort of a fresh, exotic appeal to those unfamiliar with it."

2- or 3-mil poly sheeting seems the best. I like it to be big enough to use as a separate ground sheet...not sure if the Lawn & Leaf bag is big enough.

#204436 - 05/26/20 01:22 PM Re: Tent footprint question [Re: PerryMK]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I take one when I think tent sites will be abrasive or a puncture threat. I like "kite Tyvek" which is silent, softer and not slippery compared to housewrap. Lots of sources on Amazon.

The factory footprints are handy because they lock into place, but trend heavy and aren't cheap.

Cheers,

#204437 - 05/26/20 02:27 PM Re: Tent footprint question [Re: PerryMK]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
The only advantage I can see to the pricey commercially designed footprints over the garbage bag setup you described would be you'd throw away less plastic by using one.

I get around the problem by spending as much time as needed to pick-and-toss aside the small twigs, fir cones and small rocks that could puncture my tent floor. That way I don't need any footprint at all. I never take the shortcut of sweeping the whole tent site down to bare earth, because that's hardly a Leave No Trace practice. I leave the harmless duff in place.

#204438 - 05/27/20 02:35 PM Re: Tent footprint question [Re: aimless]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
When I hiked the PNW comfy tent sites were almost always available. Heck, I used just a foam pad because the duff would be soft enough to sleep on.

But the Sierra, particularly the high Sierra, is a lot rougher and flat sites big enough, especially for a two-man tent can be very limited. You take what you can find and subject your shelter to it.

And don't get me started on popular sites along the JMT.

Cheers,

#204449 - 05/30/20 03:27 PM Re: Tent footprint question [Re: Rick_D]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
"The factory footprints are handy because they lock into place"

I use heavy duty window film as a groundsheet. Same piece for a couple of years now. I also put some gorilla tape in each corner, then added a grommet to each small square of tape, so I can lock it in place if desired, though the main reason I added the grommets is so I can lay the sheet out in wind without it blowing away.

#204726 - 08/25/20 09:51 AM Re: Tent footprint question [Re: PerryMK]
a_gunslinger Offline

I agree that manufacturer foot prints are just a time saving add on. I use a tyvek piece. I think the advantageous are as stated - more puncture resistant than hefty bag, and slightly more rigid and it seems like any water is less likely to pool under there. I hear too many stories of needing to patch a tent or fix a rip. Esp trying to setup fast in the rain things happen. For an investment it just seems prudent, but probably a luxury item. I got one from Luxe that comes with edges sewn and is tough but light weigth. $14 at the time. Overkill Im sure, but I paid some $ for my tent.

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/products/hdpe-tyvek-tent-floors?variant=21330490359891

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum