Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#204238 - 04/12/20 11:10 AM Coronavirus changes
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
This topic hasn't been discussed much on this site, but this might be of interest:

In more urban environments, people are still walking more--and the city of Oakland is closing 10% of its streets to traffic to allow more pedestrians...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/04/10/c...f-city-streets/

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#204239 - 04/12/20 01:56 PM Re: Coronavirus changes [Re: balzaccom]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Going hand-in-hand with that, air quality readings have been improving noticeably.

#204242 - 04/13/20 06:19 AM Re: Coronavirus changes [Re: balzaccom]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
The in-town trails are getting crowded. We need the pandemic to end so I can have the trails to myself again! Unfortunately few on the trail practice social distancing. On one trail, which is a former dirt road so nice and wide, I found myself walking in the weeds to keep myself apart while most walk right down the middle of the trail. Future hikes will be in the national forest that is a little ways from town so less used.

#204243 - 04/13/20 04:24 PM Re: Coronavirus changes [Re: PerryMK]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
My boys and I have been taking advantage of our city trails as well. Even though most people try to keep a respectable distance, the trails are narrow enough that 6 feet of separation isn't always practical.

#204245 - 04/13/20 06:54 PM Re: Coronavirus changes [Re: 4evrplan]

Do you wear “masks” of some sort? That’s what they’re saying to do in our local city trails and parks. Luckily, my wife sews, and made us some.

Even with a mask, I’ve stopped using the local trails for now. With so many people staying home, the trails are just so crowded that I’m not willing to risk it. I’ve substituted meandering through the largely empty neighborhoods- empty because everybody drove over to walk on the trails!

#204246 - 04/13/20 07:16 PM Re: Coronavirus changes [Re: Glenn Roberts]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Ironically, the streets and parking lots around office buildings are among the least crowded open spaces these days. frown

#204252 - 04/14/20 09:54 AM Re: Coronavirus changes [Re: Glenn Roberts]
4evrplan Offline

We do not wear masks, but "crowded" here is seeing maybe 4 other families or couples in the space of a 1-2 hour walk and having to pass directly by 1 or 2 of those groups (holding my breath). So even though the trail can be narrow in places, it's a measured (I feel reasonable) risk. The exposure there is far less than in a grocery store.

#204255 - 04/14/20 06:13 PM Re: Coronavirus changes [Re: 4evrplan]

Here in the Dayton/Cincinnati metro area, you encounter completely full parking lots; before the shutdown, I hiked a mile of popular trails to get to a more secluded trail, and there were people every 6 to 12 feet, with a few extra feet between groups or families. They’ve closed some trailhead parking lots, and roped off large sections in other lots, to try to reduce crowds. I haven’t hiked in to see if it’s working.

#204256 - 04/14/20 11:25 PM Re: Coronavirus changes [Re: Glenn Roberts]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
Remember, masks don't keep you from getting the virus from others, they're to assist you from giving the virus to others.

#204257 - 04/14/20 11:27 PM Re: Coronavirus changes [Re: balzaccom]
JustWalking Offline

There are some places in Washington where the trailheads are closed, but the trails themselves are open.

#204258 - 04/15/20 10:18 AM Re: Coronavirus changes [Re: JustWalking]
snapper Offline

Loc: NY
Where we live in central NYS there are numerous state forests and parks that continue to give us plenty of places to hike without bumping into others. Even in the more frequently used locations, it's not a big deal. We went yesterday to a state park that's only 5 miles from our house and about that in the other direction from the largest community by population in the county (12,000 people) and we still only encountered 4 people; two in the parking lot when we arrived and a couple on the trails. This is about the norm for our parks right now. If I hit the state forest trails, then it's just me and the dog. No one is out there and you can tell it's been that way for a long time as many of these trails are growing over. If I hadn't been out on them over the last 40 years some of them would be gone by now.

That's all for now. Take care, stay safe and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - I hope this post doesn't sound like I'm bragging. Believe me, I truly understand just how lucky I have it where I live.

#204263 - 04/17/20 12:43 PM Re: Coronavirus changes [Re: JustWalking]
4evrplan Offline

Originally Posted By JustWalking
Remember, masks don't keep you from getting the virus from others, they're to assist you from giving the virus to others.
I personally choose not to wear a mask, however I think this is misinformation purposefully spread by the CDC in an attempt to direct the limited supply of masks to where they are most needed and most effective. I can appreciate the reasoning, but it's dishonest. Just using common sense, it can't be true, unless the materials the masks are made with are somehow a one way valve.

#204264 - 04/17/20 01:53 PM Re: Coronavirus changes [Re: 4evrplan]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By 4evrplan
I personally choose not to wear a mask, however I think this is misinformation purposefully spread by the CDC in an attempt to direct the limited supply of masks to where they are most needed and most effective. I can appreciate the reasoning, but it's dishonest. Just using common sense, it can't be true, unless the materials the masks are made with are somehow a one way valve.

What? Common sense tells you exactly why it is true. When you breath through a mask it diffuses your breath preventing it from effectively traveling the 6 foot social distancing. With a mask your exhaled breath stays in a cloud around you. Without a mask you shoot your breath out into the world. On inhaling, diffusing it really doesn't matter... it all goes down your throat regardless

That is the theory and there is some evidence that it is true, but the effectivity has not been proven. Common sense: yes.... proven science: no.

Edited by BZH (04/17/20 01:55 PM)

#204265 - 04/17/20 04:25 PM Re: Coronavirus changes [Re: BZH]
JustWalking Offline

Agree with BZH, it makes sense to me that wearing a mask can help limit the exposure risk I present to others. I'm happy to wear a mask -- such a very, very minor inconvenience -- to perhaps help protect others.

#204266 - 04/17/20 06:03 PM Re: Coronavirus changes [Re: BZH]
4evrplan Offline

Originally Posted By BZH
What? Common sense tells you exactly why it is true. When you breath through a mask it diffuses your breath preventing it from effectively traveling the 6 foot social distancing. With a mask your exhaled breath stays in a cloud around you. Without a mask you shoot your breath out into the world. On inhaling, diffusing it really doesn't matter... it all goes down your throat regardless

That is the theory and there is some evidence that it is true, but the effectivity has not been proven. Common sense: yes.... proven science: no.
Maybe I've misunderstood the way the masks are supposed to work. I'm willing to admit I'm wrong...

BUT, I thought the theory behind the mask was not diffusion, but filtration. Perhaps we should be specific about the type of mask. I'm thinking about the N95 masks. Isn't the "95" an indicator of the percentage of airborne particles effectively filterd?

#204267 - 04/17/20 07:59 PM Re: Coronavirus changes [Re: 4evrplan]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Originally Posted By 4evrplan
Originally Posted By BZH

Maybe I've misunderstood the way the masks are supposed to work. I'm willing to admit I'm wrong...

BUT, I thought the theory behind the mask was not diffusion, but filtration. Perhaps we should be specific about the type of mask. I'm thinking about the N95 masks. Isn't the "95" an indicator of the percentage of airborne particles effectively filterd?

I think of it this way--If I sneeze or cough wearing a mask of any kind, the distance droplets travel will be reduced greatly and the number that escape to the environment will likewise be fewer in total (presuming the mask stays put). And same goes for anybody near me who sneezes. Or walked where I'm walking minutes later (far more important indoors than out).

Droplets should be stopped/slowed even with a larger pore size. IDK whether the viruses can also cling to dust and other particulates. Nothing I've read suggests they float around in the air column by their tiny viral selves but OTOH an infected person can transmit lacking symptoms, e.g., coughing and sneezing, so just breathing close? All this detail is still unfolding, and not in any particular sequence.

If only I had some masks.

#204268 - 04/18/20 02:41 PM Re: Coronavirus changes [Re: 4evrplan]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
The N95 masks do protect the wearer. It filters incoming air. I am not sure if they are equiped with a check valve to only filter in one direction. N95 masks are only for health care workers who have the necessary training and have significant exposure. The CDC guidelines for the general population is to wear non-medical face coverings. Those are not rated to any filtration standards... they are just plain cloth.

#204271 - 04/19/20 04:31 AM Re: Coronavirus changes [Re: BZH]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
My county just made wearing a mask mandatory in public. Choose not to and it's a fine, I think $600.

#204300 - 04/20/20 10:05 AM Re: Coronavirus changes [Re: BZH]
4evrplan Offline

Originally Posted By BZH
I am not sure if they are equiped with a check valve to only filter in one direction.
"Valve" was perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. What I really meant was a "one way filter", something I'm almost positive they do not do. Whatever gets through, gets through equally in both directions, be it air or airborne particles (dust, water droplets, etc).

#204314 - 04/22/20 02:01 PM Re: Coronavirus changes [Re: 4evrplan]
JustWalking Offline

Here's a good article today in The Atlantic about why masks are important.

The Real Reason to Wear a Mask

#204317 - 04/22/20 06:27 PM Re: Coronavirus changes [Re: 4evrplan]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Long time ago [cue banjo music] I had a job where we intermittently wore particle masks in areas with asbestos. No idea what the filtration rating was, the filter portion was replaced after one shift of use and the housing was cleaned and reused. They worked reasonably well WRT fit and comfort.

Anyhoo, it had a one-way valve that opened on exhale and closed on inhale, because the issue was not us exhaling asbestos at others. Contagious disease is potentially two-way so such a valve wouldn't be appropriate.

#204322 - 04/23/20 12:26 AM Re: Coronavirus changes [Re: JustWalking]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
That's a good article. Thanks.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum