Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#202553 - 01/30/19 02:08 PM Recipe: Shrimp Kao Soi
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Shrimp Kao Soi Recipe

I made this on a recent Trans-Catalina Hike and it was spectacular. It is based on hints and suggestions others on here have made. I combined those ideas and worked out ratios so I thought I would share. (Sorry I don’t have any pictures… we ate it too quickly).

1 tsp Panang Curry Paste (https://www.amazon.com/Mae-Ploy-Panang-C...442651&th=1)

2 tsp sugar

2 Tbsp Coconut Milk Powder (https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Organic...707011&th=1)

1 packet ramen with seasoning of your choice (I used beef flavored)

Large freeze dried shrimp (https://www.ebay.com/sch/scotred2012/m.h...63QxouDqjycaiC4)

Instructions:

Prepping before hand

Put panang curry paste, sugar, and coconut milk powder in a small ziplock bag. Put the shrimp in a separate ziplock bag. I take the ramen packaged as-is… you can repackage it you prefer.

At the Campsite

1. Add water to ziploc bag containing the shrimp and let them re-hydrate.

2. Add two cups of water to your pot and put it on the stove. Add the curry paste, sugar, and coconut milk powder.

3. When the paste and coconut milk powder dissolve, add the seasoning packet from the ramen to your desired level of salt. I found it needs almost the whole packet… so if you like things salty just dump the whole thing in. The coconut powder get clumpy. Bringing the mixture to a rolling boil helps; as did breaking up bigger clumps with my spoon against the pot wall. In the end a few clumps didn’t distract from the finished product.

4. When you get the broth where you want it, dump out the re-hydration water from the shrimp and add them along with the noodles to the pot and pull it off the stove.

5. Let the soup cool off for 3-5 minutes as the noodles cook and enjoy!

Notes:

-I used Panang Curry Paste. Red Curry paste would probably work equally as well
-Adjust the amount of Curry Paste to your desired spice level. 1 tsp doesn’t seem like much but it made a pretty spicy soup. The first two times I tried making it I added more and it was too spicy for me.
-You can add some oil to the curry paste/sugar/coconut powder packet to increase the richness and calorie count. The coconut powder will absorb it right up.
-I’m having a hard time reducing the clumping of the coconut powder. Next time I might try adding a little water to the ziplock and mushing it into a paste before adding it to the pot
-I only see Redwick’s 30-35 count shrimp on his ebay page currently. I used 15-17 count large shrimp and they were spectacular! (4-5 large shrimp is a good meal) He is pretty responsive to Facebook messenger and often has stuff available that isn’t listed on his ebay marketplace. I’m not sure if re-hydrating the shrimp before hand is necessary. I did it so I could verify they were well re-hydrated and not over cooked. It might work to just throw them in the pot.
-An alternate meat (or none at all) would also work well. I pair this with fishing. If I catch a fish, I can add it to the pot and it will be even more spectacular… if not it is still an amazing meal.
-Do you want to go up another notch? Fry up a little fresh garlic in the bottom of the pot first. Add some dehydrated mushroom… or some Kimchi on top!: https://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Dried-Kimchi-7/dp/B00BJP6IK6

#204278 - 04/20/20 06:59 AM Re: Recipe: Shrimp Kao Soi [Re: BZH]
haan9953 Offline

Wonderful!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum