Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#203237 - 07/17/19 05:54 PM Who still carries binoculars?
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
When I began backpacking, I always carried a small pair of binoculars (everybody did - probably because Colin Fletcher did. I saw many pairs dangling from the tops of external frame packs.) I also found I used them frequently, even though I hike only in the forests of the eastern U.S. I couldn't see very far, but it was kind of neat to get out onto a ridge in the Red River Gorge and zoom in on the hikers on the next ridge over. I also enjoyed looking at birds in the trees, or wildlife a hundred feet away.

Then came enlightenment, in the form of ultralight backpacking. Since it wasn't essential to have them (no route-scouting or other truly distant looking in those forests), I devolved from binoculars, to a monocular, to nothing.

How many of you still carry binoculars? How much does it relate to the openness of the country you hike in?

#203239 - 07/17/19 06:38 PM Re: Who still carries binoculars? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I have binos that I use bird watching mostly on day hikes. I haven't ever brought them backpacking. I also steadfastly refuse to spend time trying to identify little flits (the million tiny finch and swallow species that true birders get really excited about.)

#203240 - 07/17/19 06:55 PM Re: Who still carries binoculars? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Binoculars are useless for me since my right retina is damaged due to retinal detachment and the resulting surgery. I can see out of it, but there's a blurry spot in the middle.

I carry a small and lightweight (7 power) monocular when hiking. When not hiking, I have a 10 power monocular (quite heavy) which is great for bird and game watching.

#203242 - 07/17/19 09:25 PM Re: Who still carries binoculars? [Re: OregonMouse]
tramp Offline

Loc: WV
I carry a small set of 8X22 Vivtar binoculars I got by saving Marlboro cigarette "miles" when I used to smoke. Got a few other things from that too. So emphysema isn't all I have to remember them by.

#203248 - 07/17/19 11:59 PM Re: Who still carries binoculars? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I have a pair of Tasco 10x25 binoculars I like to carry. They're actually pretty decent, though fairly cheap. 10.5 ounces.

Although I don't use them a lot, I do enjoy them. I even managed to photograph some mountain goats with them.

For some reason, I stopped carrying them on my daily walks, but when I did, I recall seeing ospreys, cooper's hawks, and a flock of hummingbirds up close. I didn't even know that hummingbirds flocked, but apparently they do.

#203254 - 07/18/19 09:45 AM Re: Who still carries binoculars? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
None for me. I've never carried any. Never bought any.

#203262 - 07/18/19 09:03 PM Re: Who still carries binoculars? [Re: 4evrplan]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Used to take them, used to not use them. Now I am used to not taking them, unless it's a dayhike with some spectacular wildlife possibities...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#203276 - 07/19/19 04:35 PM Re: Who still carries binoculars? [Re: balzaccom]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Originally Posted By balzaccom
Used to take them, used to not use them. Now I am used to not taking them, unless it's a dayhike with some spectacular wildlife possibities...

Pretty much the same for me. Did manage to find a pair of extremely tiny Minolta 6xsomethingorothers that are no hassle to carry but always lose out to a camera on backpacks. I have nicer ones occasionally toted on dayhikes.

#203306 - 07/29/19 09:00 PM Re: Who still carries binoculars? [Re: Rick_D]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Of course if you carry a camera with a strong telephoto lens, it can substitute for binoculars.

#203309 - 07/30/19 07:15 AM Re: Who still carries binoculars? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
I usually have either small binoculars or a monocular in my daypack, though seldom use them. But it has been nice to have on occasion and I'm not too concerned about weight in a daypack.

I don't think I've ever taken either backpacking. I am approaching retirement and hope to hike the AT when I do. Whether to carry a monocular has been one of my internal debates (smile). If I can find one that conveniently fits my iPhone for photo use it may push me in that direction.

#203313 - 08/01/19 01:09 PM Re: Who still carries binoculars? [Re: PerryMK]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
I carry a Tasco10X50and only on day hikes. it weighs in at 2 lbs(with lens cap)I'm starting to think it's more like 2lbs of training weight, rather than something "useful"

#203330 - 08/11/19 03:20 AM Re: Who still carries binoculars? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Petro1234 Offline

Loc: engeland
To be honest i find they are unnecesarry. You carry them and either the thing you wished to look at is long gone, or what ever you point them at is just a bit closer. A bit of land over there is pretty much like a bit of land next to you, if the scenery you can see becomes 10 times closer, it really has very little benefit.used to carry them, but found them of very little benefit. If you want that bit of scenery a bit closer, try walking there and spending some time there ! Thats the beauty of being a backwoods hobo ! Spend some time observing where you are rather than wizzing by in a car, go to another bit explore and abide in the scenery, not just taking a viewport experience ! I think wildlife is the only time i wish i had eyeglasses, im far too noisy and smelly when multi-daying to see it for long enough.

#203336 - 08/13/19 11:07 AM Re: Who still carries binoculars? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
vdeal Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Actually went the other way. Didn't use to carry them and now do. I have a pair of Zeiss 8x25 Terra ED's that are great. I'm often on ridgetops trying to figure out what I'm seeing and plot out locations so they are great and weigh very little. And, yes, I was inspired originally by Colin Fletcher.

#204129 - 03/05/20 08:14 PM Re: Who still carries binoculars? [Re: BZH]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
I carry a monocular for day hikes sometimes. Binoculars only if I am going out specifically to look for (at) birds. Nothing for backpacking but my glasses and aging eyeballs.

#204131 - 03/06/20 08:38 PM Re: Who still carries binoculars? [Re: Jim M]
Lonerock Offline

Loc: Southern Oregon
I agree with OregonMouse. I usually take a fairly lightweight camera with a great telephoto lens so I can photograph those distant objects rather than just look at them. Saves on having some redundant equipment. As with binoculars you just have to hope your subject stays still long enough to get them in your sights.

#206638 - 09/19/22 10:09 AM Re: Who still carries binoculars? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
DustinV Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
After dropping a few pairs of binoculars and knocking them out of alignment, I decided to grab a monocular a few years ago. I nabbed one from REI that zooms from 10x to 30x magnification, which is a bit too much for the field of view. Very tricky to keep it still.

I still bring it every time because it's useful for spotting wildlife from a safe, unobtrusive distance. I sometimes lash it to a trekking pole to stabilize it, which helps. Might be fun to look at the moon and planets, but I haven't tried it for that yet.

Mine doesn't have it, but I've seen some monoculars with phone mounts so you can take pictures through it.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum