Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#204076 - 02/06/20 01:40 PM Any Canoe Campers Here?
Paddler Al Offline

Loc: Inner City Warriors Mark PA
Hey all, I just registered. Anyone else here canoe camp? I backpack because I have to. It's the only safe way to spend time in the woods in the winter for me. I mostly go solo. My true love is canoe/kayak camping. Paddle, fish, camp, eat, nap, repeat! All of my gear crosses over from backpacking very well, but there is just more focus on waterproofing and if it's just a weekend trip, there may be an ice chest!

#204077 - 02/06/20 01:58 PM Re: Any Canoe Campers Here? [Re: Paddler Al]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Yep!

For canoeing I use a Seal Line portage pack as it is completely water proof. I use a different pack for backpacking. For me, the only real difference between my backpacking gear and canoeing gear is the backpack, and paddling specific stuff, like pfd.

#204089 - 02/12/20 11:01 AM Re: Any Canoe Campers Here? [Re: Paddler Al]
snapper Offline

Loc: NY
Here's one more canoe camper. These days I prefer to use my canoe over a kayak but other than that, paddling and camping remain two of my favorite past times. Add a little fishing and I'm a happy camper. Not trying to downgrade all the wonderful times I've had while backpacking but sometimes I enjoy the change of pace that comes with paddling in the back country.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

#204092 - 02/12/20 12:37 PM Re: Any Canoe Campers Here? [Re: snapper]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Snapper, if I may ask, and hoping the OP won't mind, as someone who would like to try paddle camping eventually, what are your reasons for preferring a canoe over a kayak? From naive observation on the sidelines, kayaks always seemed more maneuverable, sort of a sports car to a canoe's Lincoln, if you will.

#204095 - 02/12/20 02:24 PM Re: Any Canoe Campers Here? [Re: 4evrplan]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
To answer the OP first: I love canoe camping and did it quite a bit when I was a kid. The opportunities are much more difficult here in the West where I live now, so I have not gone out in quite some time.

To 4everplan: I can't answer for snapper, but for myself there are some differences that might make some prefer a canoe: 1) Canoes are mostly for two people and kayaks are mostly for one, so canoes are a bit more social. Obviously there are exceptions to that. 2) Canoes are easier to load and unload gear, which can be advantageous for camping. Of course I would rather have my gear more securely stored in a kayak when going over a waterfall. 3) you sit higher up in a canoe, so you can see around more and they don't hurt as much when you hit a rock. the down side is that they are more tippy.

#204105 - 02/19/20 12:40 PM Re: Any Canoe Campers Here? [Re: BZH]
Paddler Al Offline

Loc: Inner City Warriors Mark PA
I have a solo canoe, a rec kayak and a whitewater kayak. The choice for me always depends on the river. Class 1+, solo canoe. Class 2+, rec boat. Class 3 is whitewater kayak only. But it also depends on the water and air temps. Sometime I'll risk a bigger boat if its warm and a swim is no big deal. The bigger the boat, the more comfortable you can be, up to and including even bringing a 40qt ice chest!

Edited by Paddler Al (02/19/20 12:41 PM)

#204141 - 03/09/20 11:15 AM Re: Any Canoe Campers Here? [Re: 4evrplan]
snapper Offline

Loc: NY
4evrplan -

First off, let me apologize for the lateness of my reply. I recently retired from work after 40 years and have spent a lot less time with a computer; which is OK by me. Today is the first I've looked at this site since my original reply so please excuse my lateness. More being lazy than rude. I hope you'll understand.

As to your question; here you go:

1. I started paddling back when I was 12 in 1965. Canoes, tandems for the most part, were all I had access to. Even if I was going to paddle solo, it was from the bow seat looking back towards the stern. Growing up in canoes, I think that just never leaves you.

2. I was lucky enough to have as my first kayaking mentor a woman who worked with the US Olympic men's & women's kayaking teams in '68 & '72. She was a wonderful instructor but, coming from MN, she too was partial to canoes. Our many conversations about the two different style of paddlecraft kept me more in the canoe camp than the kayaking one.

3. My first knee reconstruction was back when I was 17. Between then and becoming 34 I had six knee surgeries; including another reconstruction. Eventually when I turned 57 I had a total knee replacement. Over the years, all those knee tweaks led to some difficulty in entering the cockpit of a kayak. While I can still enter/exit it's with great difficulty. Add to that a shoulder injury I had 3 years ago and the problem has become compounded. None of this is an issue with my canoes; which goes a long way in my being able to get out on the water.

4. My dog. I did have a friend who was able to train her pooch to lie out on the stern deck of her kayak but I've never had a dog that would be willing to do that. Our current pooch is more then willing to stretch out on an old yoga mat on the floor of my canoe. She can be contented there for hours so this enables us to share many adventures on the water.

5. Last, but not least; weight. All of my kayaks are left over from when I was guiding. They are wonderful sea oriented touring kayaks but they all weigh in the 60+ range. They are all asymmetric as well so finding an easy to grab balance point can be tricky. None of my solo canoes weigh more than 34 pounds (one is 26!) so the lighter weight and ease of carrying makes them my go-to choice. A long time ago I read a statement to the effect that the easier a boat is to put up on top of your vehicle, the more you'll paddle. For me, I've found this to be all too true.

So at 67 I'm now looking for light weight, ease of loading, ease of entering/exiting the craft and being able to take my dog. If you consider all of that, going with a canoe is the logical choice.

And hey, for what it's worth, even my tandem canoes all weigh in the mid-40 pound range; and my wife would rather paddle a canoe then a kayak so who am I to argue?

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Edited by snapper (03/09/20 11:17 AM)

#204208 - 03/31/20 11:26 PM Re: Any Canoe Campers Here? [Re: Paddler Al]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Does wanting to get into the activity count? I fell in love with kayaking when a friend took me out for a few hours in FL. this week I ordered a Tucktec eco folding kayak on Kickstarter. Before the crazy epidemic, the delivery was estimated to be June. That was pretty much OK since the water here will be dang cold until about then. I wanted folding so I could get the kayak into or ONTO my van. This should do it. According to Google Maps, I'm about 8 hours from Warriors Mark from eastern MA. Another friend lives north of Harrisburg and has a canoe or two. Maybe we can get up a group paddle sometime after the crazy pandemic is calm enough to be safe. Will be happy to hear all the tips and ideas people have. I agree that backpacking gear, once loaded into dry bags, could be ideal for kayak or canoe camping.

#205303 - 03/02/21 11:28 AM Re: Any Canoe Campers Here? [Re: BZH]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
you can haul more gear more easily in a canoe. I have 2 canoes and 4 kayaks and only the 16 foot white water kayak has a reasonable sized cargo hold. Also you can sort of sit in a kayak without balancing, but a canoe tips over if you don't balance it. Canoeing is harder to become good at than kayak paddling. Jim

#205306 - 03/02/21 06:15 PM Re: Any Canoe Campers Here? [Re: Jimshaw]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
I'm fixing up a van for camping. It will be great to take the Tucktec along and be able to paddle and camp. If I take a water trip, I anticipate needing to use my backpacking minimalist skills.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum