Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#204064 - 02/03/20 03:39 PM Sleeping System Overhaul Recs
Cal_Hawkeye Offline

I'm going to be overhauling most of my backpacking gear and want to start with the sleep system (shelter next to come). I've done enough research that I think I'm ready for some customized advice from all of you knowledgeable denizens of the backcountry. My focus is substantially reducing volume (first) and shaving some weight (second).

I'm a side sleeper who is fairly active, although I tend to tone it down when backpacking. Most of the places that I backpack (which includes the Sierras) have the capacity to get down below freezing on any given day of the year, so I'd say my target is something that would do okay down to say 30 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm a somewhat cold sleeper.

My current gear is a 20 degree F rated synthetic (Climashield APEX) sleeping bag that weighs around 2 lbs. 13 oz and a Thermarest XTherm. It's not a rectangular bag but is somewhat roomy (not a tight mummy) and I do fine in it as far as restrictiveness/freedom of movement.

I really like the XTherm (compared to a Ridgerest, which was my first pad set up), but it's fairly heavy and think I can do better. I see a lot of varying opinions on this topic and am trying to decide whether a substantially lighter pad (uninsulated?) with a thin CCF pad over or under it would be a better set up. I do like the idea of a pad in case the pad deflates and can't be repaired. Or I could just use a lighter insulated pad and no CCF, if there is still a substantial benefit to be had over the XTherm.

I'm willing to shell out some good cash to get to where I want to go but I also always like the idea of a good bang for my buck.

The people at my REI highly recommend the Nemo spoon-shaped bags and their insulated pad. It sounds like they all use them for backpacking. I like the design of those bags but they are heavy. I'm wondering if just getting the EE quilt with 950 fill that most fits my sleeping style and going from there would be the best bet. But I see varying feedback on quilts, and the REI people aren't fans. (I've never used a quilt for backpacking.)

Edited by Cal_Hawkeye (02/03/20 03:48 PM)

#204065 - 02/03/20 05:45 PM Re: Sleeping System Overhaul Recs [Re: Cal_Hawkeye]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Funny REI doesn’t like them; I just checked the website and they sell them (at least online.)

I’m currently using a Nemo Tensor/Vector Insulated pad (same pad, except one has a built-in pump, the other uses a stuff sack. It’s light, comfortable for side sleeping, and adequately warm down to 25-30 degrees, based on my experience with it. If I were going to regularly go where it might drop below 30, I’d stick with the XxTherm - I used it for a couple of years and loved it. I never felt heat loss to the ground, and I used it once when it dropped to zero.

I’m currently using a Western Mountaineering Nanolite quilt, and love it. It’s warm to about 35 sleeping in longjohns and a hat. Prior to that, I used a Thermarest Vesper down quilt, rated to 32 degrees (comfort) which was dead on. Combined with the XTherm pad, longjohns, down pants and a hooded down jacket, I slept comfortably at 20 degrees.

I like the quilt with down garments combo due to its light weight and versatility, since you can leave pants and jacket behind in warmer weather. Oh, I hike all 4 seasons in the Ohio River Valley, but don’t go out when lows are predicted below freezing any more x- which is why I switched to the lighter WM/Nemo combo to save half a pound over the T-rest combo, which was warmer.

#204067 - 02/04/20 04:37 AM Re: Sleeping System Overhaul Recs [Re: Cal_Hawkeye]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
If the $500 price tag doesn't scare you, the Western Mountaineering Terralite might be one to consider. It's a "semi-rectangular" mummy bag, 25 degree, and pretty roomy (inside girth 65"), 1lb. 13oz. in the medium size. Expensive, but US-made, and WM's customer service is excellent in my experience.

I saw one of the Nemo bags at REI the other day, rated at 15 degrees, but obviously only for very warm sleepers, as it had only about 4" of overall loft. I notice on their web site that the "Riff" bag (not sure if that's what I saw) is rated at 15 degrees, but it lists "ISO lower limit" at 16 degrees. Seems goofy.

You can save some weight by using a 3/4-length pad, especially if you carry a sit pad anyway.

If a CCF pad is an option, look at the Nemo Switchback. Similar to the Z-rest, but somewhat thicker and the same packed size. I bought one of these last fall, but haven't used it yet, although kitchen-floor tests seem promising.

#204068 - 02/04/20 07:15 AM Re: Sleeping System Overhaul Recs [Re: Cal_Hawkeye]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
I too am a side sleeper and also toss and turn a bit. I have a 20 and a 50 degree rated Enlightened Equipment quilts. Together they are rated down to 0 degrees F. I feel this will give me relative comfort over a wide temperature range. EE has some nice charts on temperature ratings when combining their quilts. I was going to go with 950 down on both but they suggested making the 50 degree synthetic as the weight and size penalty was minimal. The total weight of the quilts is just over two pounds, something like 34 or 35 ounces. I use a NeoAir XTherm pad, a tent, and of course clothing to supplement.

I tested this out a couple months ago on a trip to Alabama. The forecast was for 35F at night and I slept in a low area next to a small water fall so maybe a little cooler. I used only the 20F quilt and was quite comfortable.

#204069 - 02/04/20 12:44 PM Re: Sleeping System Overhaul Recs [Re: PerryMK]
Cal_Hawkeye Offline

Thanks, from these responses, I'm getting the impression that a quilt should be fine for my sleeping style. That's good since I'm eager to leverage that volume and weight savings.

Obviously seeing multiple possible approaches to dealing with varying temps -- wearing down clothes vs. combining quilts. I can see advantages to each. I'll have to think about which is best for me.

I'd probably be okay with the $500 WM price if it were the only way to go, but it looks like EE or others will give me what I need for less. I was also looking at EGQ, which seems very similar to EE but might be cheaper. If anyone has any experience with them please let me know.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum