Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#203783 - 11/30/19 04:24 PM my admission
JerrySC13 Offline

Loc: Chapin, SC
Okay. I have to admit something. I feel like I should...

I need to get one thing off of my chest.

When I'm looking for a new piece of gear, weight is not the first thing I check. But it's even worse...

I pack heavy.

Okay. There. I said it. Happy to have that off my chest. Whew! I feel soooo much better! It's like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. Sorry. Bad joke there. What can I say? I'm a dad. Comes with the territory.

Yep. I'm not an ultra lightweight backpacker. I should probably start a support group. LOL.

Edited by JerrySC13 (11/30/19 04:25 PM)

Please check out my website and blog: https://www.mountainblazers.com/

#203784 - 11/30/19 05:56 PM Re: my admission [Re: JerrySC13]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
We have very few members who would consider themselves as ultra-light backpackers. As a group, we tend toward the lightweight part of the spectrum rather than either extreme. Also, because the majority of us have been doing this for decades, what we started out carrying in our early years as backpackers would definitely be considered as "heavy" nowadays, due both to the kind of gear that was available back then and the amount of money we had to spend on our beloved hobby. We survived it.

When newbies ask me for advice, one of the primary pieces I give them is to avoid sinking a couple of thousand dollars into gear, but instead borrow whatever gear you can, see what you can dig out of thrift shops, try to keep your weight low by not taking things you don't need, then get out on the trail! That's the whole point of all this, not the gear.

Once you know you love to backpack and want to do it as much as you can in the future, then you can start getting serious about upgrading your gear piece by piece.

#203785 - 11/30/19 06:37 PM Re: my admission [Re: JerrySC13]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Hi, I'm Glenn, and I'm a light to ultralight packer, and a gear-head. It's been two weeks since I bought my last piece of gear. I've tried the 12-step program, but I'm starting to suspect that choosing the owner of the local backpacking shop as my sponsor may have been a mistake. smile

I've always tended to pack lighter. Back when we all carried 40 pounds for a weekend, I was typically 2-5 pounds lighter than my hiking buddies. It wasn't for bragging rights, or because I was somehow more enlightened (so to speak) than they were - it's because Colin Fletcher was my vicarious mentor.

And I, too, never chose gear based entirely on weight. Like Colin said, if you need something, take it; then take the lightest version that actually does what you need it to do. I just never seemed to need as much as the next guy: I never needed the change of clothing for a weekend; I only needed a spoon (and didn't need both an eating and cooking spoon); and I used a three pound tarp-and-bivy sack setup when everyone else carried 6-pound two-person tents. We were all equally comfortable (comfort is another variable that differs greatly between any two people.)

Today, I still choose gear based first on functionality, then on weight. As a result, my headlamp is a full-power model instead of a keychain light; my knife has a lock-back feature (because my mini-tool closed on my fingers when I was making a fuzz-stick), and I carry separate scissors because my multi-tool scissors wouldn't cut moleskin. (My knife, scissors, and tweezers weigh half an ounce more than my mini-tool.)

I also have an ulterior motive: a year or so ago, I asked myself what I wanted to be doing ten years from now (when I'll be 80), and the answer was "still backpacking." I'll fully retire in a year, and I'm not deluding myself that I'll suddenly transform into a fully-fit chiseled version of myself. So, I decided to allow myself to take easier, shorter trips; lower mileage days; and no dead-of-winter trips. I also decided that to conserve my original-equipment knees and hips, I'd carry as light a load as possible. We'll see how that goes.

Budget plays a role, too. I'm at the point in life when the house is paid for, the kids' college bills are done, and I don't smoke, drink, chase women, or own a boat. So, the ultralight gear is more affordable, relatively speaking, than when I was outfitting me and my kids with whatever was left over after the bills were paid.

So, don't apologize for doing a smart thing: assessing your needs and selecting gear accordingly. Besides, you're allowed to change the composition of your load and weight of your gear as your needs change, too.

#203786 - 11/30/19 06:43 PM Re: my admission [Re: aimless]
JerrySC13 Offline

Originally Posted By aimless

When newbies ask me for advice, one of the primary pieces I give them is to avoid sinking a couple of thousand dollars into gear, but instead borrow whatever gear you can, see what you can dig out of thrift shops, try to keep your weight low by not taking things you don't need, then get out on the trail! That's the whole point of all this, not the gear.

Once you know you love to backpack and want to do it as much as you can in the future, then you can start getting serious about upgrading your gear piece by piece.

That is the exact same kind of advice I give. The newbies I take are very financially limited. Even on my website I mention to borrow stuff until you know for sure this is for you. Back in 1989, on my first ever hike in the AT in Va, it was mostly with borrowed gear. smile

#203787 - 11/30/19 06:48 PM Re: my admission [Re: Glenn Roberts]
JerrySC13 Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Hi, I'm Glenn, and I'm a light to ultralight packer, and a gear-head. It's been two weeks since I bought my last piece of gear. I've tried the 12-step program, but I'm starting to suspect that choosing the owner of the local backpacking shop as my sponsor may have been a mistake. smile

So, don't apologize for doing a smart thing: assessing your needs and selecting gear accordingly. Besides, you're allowed to change the composition of your load and weight of your gear as your needs change, too.

Great responses! I was trying to be kinda funny; I hope it read that way. smile

I've actually been thinking about the future in the same vain. I'm only 52 and I'm okay at 39 pounds, give or take. But when I'm 63, and hopefully have a little more disposable income? Yeah, I think I'll be going lighter. I still have visions of hiking the AT from GA to ME. I can't get that goal out of my head. Maybe I'll never do it, but I think it about it often.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum