Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#203740 - 11/22/19 07:40 PM Coffee On The Trail
JerrySC13 Offline

Loc: Chapin, SC
Coffee in my tent, in the morning.

When camping in the wilderness I don’t do complicated. Or I at least try to avoid it. That’s why I kicked coffee for my 2015 and 2017 AT section hikes. I decided to endure the caffeine headaches rather than make my coffee every morning on the trail.

In 2016 I opened a coffee shop and started offering pour-over coffee to my patrons. This was when I also began using the pour-over method at home. Unfortunately the idea of doing this at a campsite did not occur to me until halfway through the summer of 2019. Sigh.

Sometimes us old dogs take a while to learn new tricks.

I found a collapsible cone on Amazon (where else?).

The weight penalty for this is minor. I carry the collapsible cone, some small filters, and a small container of coffee.

Here’s my favorite part! Early in the morning I drag my arse out of my tent to retrieve my bear bag. Wait. That’s not my favorite part.

I return to my tent to brew my coffee while everyone is still asleep. That's my favorite part!
Note: I do not boil the water inside my tent. Never light a camp stove inside a tent. I realize most of the readers know this - just throwing it out there.

The process is simple:
-Heat water to boiling. Only 12 ounces. My drinking cup is small.
-Place my pour-over cone over my cup, and place the filter inside the cone. Carefully pour one scoop of grounds into filter.
-Once the water is done boiling slowly pour over grounds, soaking them, but not overfilling the cone. Continue doing this until the cup is full of coffee.
-Enjoy the coffee

Note: I can't seem to insert an image here of an example of pour-over coffee. If you want to see a visual, then just google "pour over coffee."

I then crawl back into my bag to sip my coffee. Morning quiet time with the sound of a running stream. It’s hard to imagine a better feeling.

If the sun is up maybe I’ll sit next to the stream with my coffee. There’s options available as long as I have my warm cup of Jo.

#coffee #hiking #campsitecoffee #camp #backcountry #campsites #backpacking

Edited by JerrySC13 (11/22/19 07:56 PM)

Please check out my website and blog: https://www.mountainblazers.com/

#203745 - 11/23/19 04:11 PM Re: Coffee On The Trail [Re: JerrySC13]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Are bears as attracted to the smell of fresh brewed coffee as humans?

#203747 - 11/23/19 06:54 PM Re: Coffee On The Trail [Re: OregonMouse]
JerrySC13 Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Are bears as attracted to the smell of fresh brewed coffee as humans?

Ha, ha! I certainly hope not! And even if they are, I am not giving up my morning coffee!

#203751 - 11/24/19 02:46 PM Re: Coffee On The Trail [Re: JerrySC13]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Im not questioning the coffee, but I do question the wisdom of having anything odoriferous in the tent!

#203752 - 11/24/19 02:54 PM Re: Coffee On The Trail [Re: OregonMouse]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I'm also very leery of letting food smells get into my tent. Black bears have a sense of smell ten times more acute than a bloodhound. Because bears are curious, will eat anything edible, and their whole lives center around finding food, this seems to me more like a justified precaution than paranoia.

#203753 - 11/24/19 05:29 PM Re: Coffee On The Trail [Re: aimless]
Lonerock Offline

Loc: Southern Oregon
I've never had a problem with drinking coffee in my tent. If you think about it there are many other oders, including human smells along with oders acquired on our clothing during meal preparation and eating. Not to mention the smells that our gear acquires over the years. We can take reasonable precautions such as not bringing tasty foods into the tent but otherwise, enjoy your cup of coffee.

#203754 - 11/24/19 06:38 PM Re: Coffee On The Trail [Re: Lonerock]
JerrySC13 Offline

Originally Posted By Lonerock
I've never had a problem with drinking coffee in my tent.

Yep, same here. Of course, that doesn't mean this won't become a problem in the future.

Obviously I drink my coffee in the morning, just before I pack up. Not to say the other commenters don't have a point. If I spill some, then the next evening that smell will be there.

I suppose if I'm completely honest here, I do not know if drinking coffee in my tent is a potential future problem or not. I'm doing my best to read and learn about black bears. From what I've learned so far, I really don't believe I'm taking that much of a risk. At least, I hope that I'm not. I sure do enjoy sipping coffee wrapped up in my sleeping bag.

smile

#204127 - 03/05/20 07:54 PM Re: Coffee On The Trail [Re: JerrySC13]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
I know your palette is much more sophisticated than mine; most people's are. But what about 1) instant coffee or 2) just boiling the grounds in a pot of water and pouring them through a sieve of some sort like cheese cloth? I think some old fisherman I knew just boiled the grounds in a pot and poured the coffee off the top into their cup.

#204130 - 03/06/20 08:29 PM Re: Coffee On The Trail [Re: Jim M]
Lonerock Offline

Loc: Southern Oregon
The only problem with using grounds is packing it out and cleaning the cheese cloth. I use a high quality instant coffee which tastes pretty good and requires less equipment and weighty coffee than other methods. Bringing in less and taking out less is always the ideal situation.

#204235 - 04/11/20 11:21 PM Re: Coffee On The Trail [Re: Jim M]
Petro1234 Offline

Loc: engeland
Originally Posted By Jim M
I know your palette is much more sophisticated than mine; most people's are. But what about 1) instant coffee or 2) just boiling the grounds in a pot of water and pouring them through a sieve of some sort like cheese cloth? I think some old fisherman I knew just boiled the grounds in a pot and poured the coffee off the top into their cup.

Thats because the grounds sink, you can just put a spoonful in a cup, but you have to keep it warm. Instant coffee is terrible if spilt, my bag and all its contents have been glued together by coffee, not nice, nor spilt milk either, it stinks.

#205501 - 04/23/21 09:38 AM Re: Coffee On The Trail [Re: JerrySC13]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Jerry,

You're way awesome. I'd like to share a pre-made alternative to a coffee filter holder, a couple filters, and some coffee, and make what you're talking about with the filter holder a little plainer for those who haven't encountered pour over coffee before.

The Japanese, who are REALLY into pour over coffee, make single use packets to solve this problem. They are routinely sold in grocery and convenience stores there.

I googled "japanese pour over coffee packets" and got the following as some of my results. I'm sharing because they are good pictures of what I'm talking about.

https://japanesegreenteashops.com/collec...0-pack-80-grams

https://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com/pour-over-coffee-brewer/

If you're in Japan, coffee is routinely sold in premade packages like this. It's one of the better ways to get a cup of coffee in the morning before you go out, as hotels will probably provide tea, but not coffee. My wife and I were much happier once we figured this out and knew what to look for. For this application, a bunch of these packets could greatly simplify your logistics, depending on your point of view on carrying the waste.

However, some coffee, a couple of #2 cone filters, and a plastic filter holder like this:

https://www.amazon.com/HIC-Coffee-Filter...54280&psc=1

is all you really need, as Jerry pointed out, to do simple coffee in the field without grounds. Over the long haul, it's probably lighter than the premade packets, but the premade packets are probably simpler for a short trip. Which way you'd go is an individual preference question.

Jerry, I wish someone had explained cone filters to me about a decade ago. Cone filters, which aren't a new concept, would have greatly simplified some of the things I was trying to do with coffee in the field.

#205503 - 04/23/21 10:52 AM Re: Coffee On The Trail [Re: Steadman]
Tom7654 Offline

I use Folgers Coffee Singles for backpacking. They are basically tea bags filled with ground coffee instead of tea leaves. The resulting coffee tastes much better than instant, though not as good as my normal coffee. Here's an Amazon link, but they are also available at many grocery stores:

https://www.amazon.com/Folgers-Coffee-Singles-Classic-Roast-19/dp/B07BFHNPGK

#205533 - 05/06/21 03:31 PM Re: Coffee On The Trail [Re: Tom7654]
DustinV Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
I usually just take some of the Starbucks instant packets. They make decent coffee, but I will look for the Folgers bags in my local stores. It would sort of force me to wait for the coffee to steep and the water to cool down a bit while my breakfast is rehydrating.

#205539 - 05/09/21 04:13 PM Re: Coffee On The Trail [Re: JerrySC13]
41253 Offline

This is my single cup method that doesn't involve any pouring. It's basically a tea sock concept improvised from a leftover scrap of mosquito netting:

1. Heat water in a metal cup directly on the stove or fire to a little bit above drinking temperature.
2. Remove from heat, stuff 8-inch x 8-inch (about) square of mosquito netting into cup as a liner.
3. Dump grounds in, wait a few minutes, remove.

The netting leaves some grounds in the cup but it drains instantly and what's left isn't enough to affect the flavor even if you take your time drinking it. It dries very quickly. It also works well for loose tea.

Edited by 41253 (05/10/21 09:20 AM)

#205704 - 07/15/21 05:03 PM Re: Coffee On The Trail [Re: JerrySC13]
nwguy Offline

Juan Valdez 100% Colombian Classic Freeze-Dried Instant Coffee

After years of trying things, for me this is the best.
teaspoon in a little baggy, with sugar, creamer.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 158 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum