Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#203585 - 10/29/19 03:48 AM Is It Worth Re-sealing Raingear?
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
After bragging to OregonMouse how well my Marmot Precip raingear has held up, both the Jacket and Anorak have begun leaking. They lasted a long time...I can remember using the anorak as far back as 2006, and the jacket is slightly older. The anorak wasn't heavily used (mostly just carried), but the jacket has been used a lot. Most of the seam tape is loose on the jacket, and just a few spots on the anorak. The WP/B coating on the fabric seems OK except for a few small spots.

The question is, does it make any sense to try to re-seal them? Anybody done this? I've used both SeamGrip and TentSure on other items, but not clothing. Anything better?

Although the Marmot stuff is fairly light, I'd like to have one of the new ultralight rain jackets, but of course cost is a factor, and most of them get a lot of bad reviews, mostly indicating that they're only suitable for light or brief rain. The Montbell Versalite looks good, but $200 is a bit steep. The Lightheart Gear silnylon jacket seems like an option, but not breathable at all, though it has pit zips.

Any thoughts?

#203587 - 10/29/19 05:39 PM Re: Is It Worth Re-sealing Raingear? [Re: Bill Kennedy]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
If the seam tape is coming loose, I'm not sure if the jacket can be saved. (It may be possible to re-attach the tape; I just don't know.) If it can't, you'll get your wish to try one of the new jackets. smile

Beyond that, it seems to be a question of cost/benefit: will the time and money you save extend the life of the jacket enough to be worth it? There comes a point where, no matter how great it has been, it deserves to be retired. (Just today, I retired the 3 or 4 year-old OR Helium jacket I'd been using to become my everyday town rainjacket, and the 10 or 12 year-old Patagonia I-forget-name-but-it's-H2No-fabric that had been my everyday town jacket will now become my golf jacket.)

Regarding its replacement: I happily used my Patagonia jacket for backpacking for 5 or 6 years until I was lured by a 6 ounce weight savings into springing for the OR Helium (Pertex) when it came out. It worked just fine in light, intermittent rain. However, in prolonged rain or heavy rain, I always ended up wetter than I did in the Patagonia. I could never find a leak, but I wasn't moving around enough to attribute it all to perspiration. When I replaced it today, I chose the Patagonia Torrentshell (the successor to whatever the name of mine was), even though it put 4 ounces back into my pack. Function always trumps weight - a 6-ounce rain jacket that doesn't really keep you dry is a much worse choice than a 10-ounce jacket that does, even for an ultralight hiker!

#203591 - 10/30/19 08:43 AM Re: Is It Worth Re-sealing Raingear? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Look at it this way--If you are successful, then you can soak yourself in your own sweat as you hike---much better than getting soaked by rain.

One way or the other, you're going to get wet.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#203593 - 10/30/19 05:28 PM Re: Is It Worth Re-sealing Raingear? [Re: balzaccom]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Yes, nothing will keep you totally dry (whoever invents that will be in Bill Gates’ league.)

I always get a laugh from the product reviews who rate a product a 2 “because it didn’t keep me completely dry in an all-day rain” or “this isn’t waterproof; my wrists were damp after 2 hours.”

#203594 - 11/01/19 01:08 AM Re: Is It Worth Re-sealing Raingear? [Re: balzaccom]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Originally Posted By balzaccom
Look at it this way--If you are successful, then you can soak yourself in your own sweat as you hike---much better than getting soaked by rain.

I wouldn't seal the whole jacket, just the seams, so breathability should be about the same.

Quote:
One way or the other, you're going to get wet.

Well, I haven't so far, but then I tend not to hike for days in pouring rain.

BTW, I enjoyed your pictures of Africa. Quite an adventure.

#203595 - 11/01/19 02:35 PM Re: Is It Worth Re-sealing Raingear? [Re: Bill Kennedy]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
The last day I worked on a trail crew this year it was raining. I had my rain shell on but by the end of the day I was soaked. Not sure any gear would have been better.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#203627 - 11/07/19 11:59 PM Re: Is It Worth Re-sealing Raingear? [Re: Bill Kennedy]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
Bill,
I have had both brands you mentioned. The Marmot got worn out around the neck and I resealed it with seam sealer. But it was really looking ratty after all those years of use so I got a new Patagonia NO2 and that has been very nice under many conditions. However at 13.7 ounces I replace it with my Frogs Toggs rain jacket if the chance of rain is extremely low. It works just fine too (and is about 7 ounces)but they are not durable and you can ruin one in just one day of bushwhacking.

For the price of seam sealer I would repair the Marmot and try it out. If nothing else, keep it as a spare in the trunk of your car.
Jim

#203660 - 11/13/19 08:58 AM Re: Is It Worth Re-sealing Raingear? [Re: Bill Kennedy]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
You will want to match the sealer to the type of raingear. I had jacket that leaked near the back neck from day one. It had a coating other than silicone, so I used common cheap tent sealer on that area, then used the jacket for years. WPB items often can be refreshed by washing and retreating properly. I have had good luck with Atsko products, following the directions carefully.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 167 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum