Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#203179 - 07/14/19 08:51 PM What multi-tool do you take?
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
This is actually an either/or question: When you backpack, do you carry a knife and other tools, or a multi-tool?

If you take a knife, what other tools (scissors, tweezers, etc.) do you take?

Finally: how often do you use any or all of these tools?

Just curious.

#203184 - 07/14/19 09:20 PM Re: What multi-tool do you take? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
I am never without a pocket knife and seldom without a multitool. My everyday knife is a Victorinox electricians knife, but I carry a Victorinox Farmer when I am in the woods. I carry a Leatherman Squirt ES4 everyday or a PS4 when I'm in the woods. The main difference is that the ES4 has a wire stripper where the PS4 doesn't. The pliers on these tools aren't very robust, but they will do. I use my knife fairly often, but the multitool not so often. I use tools all the time and normally have a 6" pair of Channellocks and a 6" Crescent wrench in my back pocket and a diamond hone in my front pocket to try to keep my blades sharp. None of these tools are very good at removing splinters, so I often carry a pocket tweezer on my key chain. A lot of this is just having gotten used to carrying these tools and seeing their usefulness in everyday situations. I do shed some of them when I want to travel light, but not that often.

#203191 - 07/15/19 04:52 AM Re: What multi-tool do you take? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
No multi-tool. I always carry a little Swiss Army knife in my pocket anyway, so it comes along, and I carry one of an accumulation of pocket knives in my pack, most often a Gerber LST (1.2oz.) I have a small pair of tweezers in my first aid kit as well.

Seldom use any of them, really, but wouldn't leave them behind.

#203194 - 07/15/19 06:00 AM Re: What multi-tool do you take? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
Small "Old Timer" jack knife. Same one which is in my pocket seven days a week. I have carried a similar knife every day since I was about 12.

#203197 - 07/15/19 07:34 AM Re: What multi-tool do you take? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
I carry a Swiss Army Knife Classic SD (one of the really small SAKs) everyday at work and often while not at work. I use it often, mostly the small blade for opening packages and the toothpick. Occasionally the nail file and less often the scissors.

I have a larger SAK in my pack, not sure the model. It's nice to know it's there but probably not really justified.

#203201 - 07/15/19 11:15 AM Re: What multi-tool do you take? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
no multitool....for a knife I've been using a folding Trango that has a 1.75" cutting edge. very small when folded up and could carry in my pocket if I were so inclined. blade lock is a bit fiddely, but good enough. been longing to try just a utility blade (no handle) in a ducktape sheeve… maybe next time

#203202 - 07/15/19 11:22 AM Re: What multi-tool do you take? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Everyday carry for me is a Leatherman Wave, the original version. When I'm backpacking, I take a Leather Style PS and a very light fixed blade knife.

#203205 - 07/15/19 12:53 PM Re: What multi-tool do you take? [Re: Bill Kennedy]

I like that Gerber LST, too - especially the locking blade (I've had a non-locking blade fold up and cut me slightly, once.) Mine usually lives in my toolbox. For weekend backpacking and everyday in-the-pocket use, my go-to is also the SAK Classic.

If I were to decide to take the Gerber LST backpacking, I'd probably pair it with some Fiskars Folding Travel Scissors, which I also like. I'd have to toss a tweezer into the first aid kit, too.

Edited by Glenn Roberts (07/15/19 05:53 PM)

#203208 - 07/15/19 03:42 PM Re: What multi-tool do you take? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Not having a lot of gripping strength in my fingertips (for such things as rethreading pack straps that have slipped out of their buckles), I find pliers an essential tool. I also use them as pot lifters.

Second most useful are scissors, for trimming the hangnails I always seem to get when camping.

My multitool is a Leatherman Squirt PS 4. Tiny but very useful. The blade, although small, will cut most anything (including fingers, so be careful) and is great for frizz sticks if needed (although I rarely build a fire).

Edited by OregonMouse (07/16/19 07:13 PM)
Edit Reason: correct auto correct!

#203212 - 07/15/19 05:51 PM Re: What multi-tool do you take? [Re: OregonMouse]

The Gerber Dime is similar. The blade isn't as pointed - would that help save those fingers? smile

#203215 - 07/15/19 06:03 PM Re: What multi-tool do you take? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Petro1234 Offline

Loc: engeland
A pair of mini pliers and a swiss blade with a tin opener and awl, I also take a rat tail file just incase i need to alter something hard. A bow saw blade can also be brought if i think ill be cutting wood. On the whole of it the pliers have mostly been used for forcing a needle through heavyweight material ! Wire cutters, bottle openers, cork screws magnifying glasses, farrier tools have not really a place with me.

#203216 - 07/15/19 09:03 PM Re: What multi-tool do you take? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
I also bring a Squirt PS4. I don't bring any other blade. I put tweezers into my first aid kit during tick season, but leave it out for the colder months. I use the PS4 on pretty much every trip, mostly to open stuff.

#203223 - 07/16/19 11:21 AM Re: What multi-tool do you take? [Re: Petro1234]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I still bring the very large Swiss Army knife I bought when I was a kid with my paper route money. It has a wine opener on it. Why do I need it? You never know what situation you will find yourself in:

https://youtu.be/iAo-EEn7f44?t=169

#203227 - 07/16/19 02:30 PM Re: What multi-tool do you take? [Re: BZH]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
I am sure that many of us have one of the large SA knives which we purchased when we started backpacking because we were sure that we would have to build a fortress and overhaul our car in the woods in order to get back home. Most of them are now relegated to the same storage area as our two pound first aid kit.

I cannot tell you how many times I have been on a backpacking trip and bemoaned the fact that I did no have my wine opener with me.

#203228 - 07/16/19 07:15 PM Re: What multi-tool do you take? [Re: GrumpyGord]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I saw an article recently on how to open a wine bottle without a corkscrew--but when I clicked on it, no text came up and the video wouldn't run!

#203247 - 07/17/19 11:34 PM Re: What multi-tool do you take? [Re: OregonMouse]
Petro1234 Offline

Loc: engeland
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
I saw an article recently on how to open a wine bottle without a corkscrew--but when I clicked on it, no text came up and the video wouldn't run!

You unscrew the top ?

I have decorked a bottle by putting a screw in at an angle and pulling vertically up

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/get-naked/experiments/opening-bottle-wine-without-corkscrew

#203260 - 07/18/19 08:59 PM Re: What multi-tool do you take? [Re: Petro1234]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Gord_ buy a second wine opener. I have one in each car, in a day pack, etc.

And as for the OP--I take a tiny knife to cut salami, and a pair of nail clippers. I have yet to find a need for a screwdriver, allen wrench or can opener when backpacking.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#203270 - 07/19/19 11:29 AM Re: What multi-tool do you take? [Re: balzaccom]

I actually use the scissors most often (including for nail trimming, followed by the nail file and closely by the toothpick. I'll sometimes use the knife for meal prep, but not very often. I think I used the screwdriver once, when a screw on a stove came loose (the end of my spoon might also have done the job.) I've also used the tweezers once or twice for splinters (so-so), and once to tighten a glasses screw (since I only used one tine, does that count as a full or half use?)

#203272 - 07/19/19 04:20 PM Re: What multi-tool do you take? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Leatherman Micra (the old-old one) and variously use the scissors, small screwdriver (glasses tightening), bigger screwdriver usually for prying stuff, nail file, tweezers, bottle opener. IIRC it's 2 oz. [checks--1.8]

The minuscule blade is okay for general use but for the kitchen I bring a lightweight folder when I need one for food prep. I can't chop an onion with 1-inch scissors. smile

Caution: TSA won't like it on account of the tiny blade. Otherwise, I think it's okay.

#203973 - 01/08/20 03:04 AM Re: What multi-tool do you take? [Re: 4evrplan]
Daniel Phill Offline

Loc: Colorado
I love all products made by Leatherman, but my perfect choice is Wingman Multitool

- Clearly individual tools always do well when you need to work around the house, but you can't take em all on a backpacking trip grin

#203977 - 01/08/20 09:52 AM Re: What multi-tool do you take? [Re: Daniel Phill]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Right on, the Wingman is a nice tool for sure. I just prefer to pack less weight if I can get away with it. The Style PS is 1.6 oz, and the small knife is a smidge over an ounce (I don't remember exactly), so less than 3 oz together. Every time I've brought the fixed blade, it's been "just in case", but I've never needed it for anything a tiny folder couldn't handle just as well. I really could probably switch to my Squirt (2 oz) and leave out the separate knife. If I didn't love having the pliers so much, I could get a Style CS and that alone would take care of all my hiking tools for a cost of 1.4 oz all up.

#203985 - 01/08/20 09:57 PM Re: What multi-tool do you take? [Re: Daniel Phill]
GWL Offline

They gave me a big discount on A Wingman when I was at the Leatherman Factory near Portland, OR a few years ago. I love it for around the house, but it is too heavy by my standards for hiking/backpacking. I carry a very simple Swiss Army Knife (Tinker?). Never needed anything else for cutting line, food, fire starting etc.

#204001 - 01/10/20 05:51 PM Re: What multi-tool do you take? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
bob13bob Offline

Loc: California, United States
swiss army classic. wouldn't carry anything heavier.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum