Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#203138 - 06/26/19 10:36 PM Newbie: planning where to camp
murrayof Offline

Hi Backcountry Forum folks,

I'm looking for help understanding what and how to plan regarding where to overnight when backpacking.

I live in Somerville Massachusetts, and I am thinking about trying some backpacking in the White Mountains, NH.

I have a pretty good amount of experience with both camping and hiking.

It seems pretty easy to find guides for how to pack and be prepared. But I am confused about the campsite part. I imagine it depends on where you are. I'm sure there are places out there where you just look for a good spot to make camp. In the White Mountains, would I be expected to reserve a specific site along a route? If so, I haven't cracked the nut of how to plan for that.

Thanks for your help.
-Mike

#203146 - 06/28/19 02:42 PM Re: Newbie: planning where to camp [Re: murrayof]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Search engines are your friend! Here's the first item I found on searching "Backpacking White Mountains New Hampshire," in the reputable SectionHiker blog I check regularly even though I live at the opposite end of the country:

backpacking-in-the-white-mountains-a-quick-and-dirty-guide It has links to more detailed info sources. For the specific info you want, page down to "Permits and Regulations" and "Camping and Shelters," although the entire article is well worth reading.

Most trail guides will have camping suggestions for individual trails. The article above recommends guidebooks and maps.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/28/19 07:51 PM)
Edit Reason: additional info

#203149 - 06/29/19 02:26 PM Re: Newbie: planning where to camp [Re: OregonMouse]

In addition to the specifics for the area, as listed above, here is a good general article on selecting a campsite, from Andrew Skurka's excellent blog:
Five-star campsite selection

Unfortunately the rules and the ideal usually don't match, so you do the best you can!

#203154 - 06/30/19 09:49 PM Re: Newbie: planning where to camp [Re: OregonMouse]

I was hoping someone else would respond by now. I hope the above sources have led you to the information you need!

If the Whites will be your very first backpacking trip, I have some doubt that rugged mountains featuring the worst weather in the country (although high altitudes in the Rockies, with which I'm very familiar, come really close) is a good place for a first-timer. Maybe a few short trips at lower altitude closer to home, and some practice staying dry in bad weather? If you've already done these preliminary steps, though, enjoy your trip, but be careful out there!

#203156 - 07/01/19 12:15 PM Re: Newbie: planning where to camp [Re: OregonMouse]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
OM, I think your first post answered the OP's question.

Mike, Do you have more questions on how to put together an itinerary or how far apart to plan stops? From OM's links what appeals to you more: staying in huts/shelters/designated campsites or wilderness spots?

#203170 - 07/05/19 07:19 PM Re: Newbie: planning where to camp [Re: BZH]
murrayof Offline

Thank you responders! (I'm new to the forum and thought that I would get an email when someone responded, and I just came back to the forum to check.)

I'm going to dig into what you provided and see if I come back with more questions. I was envisioning traveling with a tent and using either wilderness spots or designated campsites.

update: The quick and dirty link is really helpful. It looks like you don't have to reserve the backcountry campsites, you just need to be able to find them.

Edited by murrayof (07/05/19 07:35 PM)

#203480 - 09/22/19 03:43 PM Re: Newbie: planning where to camp [Re: murrayof]
murrayof Offline

Any suggestions as far as keeping food from bears in the white mountains while backpacking? Canister? Bag? Apparently there are also set locations at sites in the mountains. What do you recommend? Thanks.

#203481 - 09/23/19 12:28 AM Re: Newbie: planning where to camp [Re: murrayof]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
This completely depends on where you are camping--not only because local regulations will apply, but also because bears will have different behaviors and in some cases different species.

In the Sierra Nevada in California, bear canisters are required in all the national parks. Only a few backcountry campsites have bear boxes for use by hikers. And we are dealing with black nears there.

I would imagine that in Glacier it's a different scenario with the Grizzlies there.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#203482 - 09/23/19 12:16 PM Re: Newbie: planning where to camp [Re: murrayof]
BZH Offline

Here are the regulations for that area:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/whitemountain/learning/safety-ethics/?cid=STELPRDB5186355

Either a bear canister or hanging is allowed. Hanging is much lighter, but the only place I've seen the perfect branch to hang food is on the brochure showing you how to do it. Canisters are more foolproof but are heavy (and they seem to get heavier the farther down the trail you get.)

You mentioned some places have bear boxes available. That is a great option, but unless you have a reserved campsite (not very common in the back-country) you may not be able to count on it. If your planned trip has bear boxes at all of your planned stops, I would still bring the ability to hang food in case the bear box is full when you get to a location.

I recently bought a bear bag kit from these guys:

https://liteaf.com/product/flat-bottom-bear-bag-kit-complete-bear-bag-kit/

Kind of pricey for something you can easily put together yourself, but it is extremely light and it is a complete kit with everything you need. I am happy with it.

If you decide on a canister, do note that I believe the BearVault is still not allowed in the Adirondacks due to a bear (now deceased) figuring out how to break into them and then teaching her children ( frown ).

I know I am not giving you straight answers to your questions, but like lots of things in life... it depends. Give us more details perhaps we can give you a more refined solution. How many days with how many people will you be out?

Edited by BZH (09/23/19 12:19 PM)

#203483 - 09/23/19 08:29 PM Re: Newbie: planning where to camp [Re: BZH]
murrayof Offline

Thank you. This was helpful. I was just going to try one night for a first time. It might be solo, or a friend may join me. I have quite a bit of experience hiking, and quite a bit of experience camping. I just haven't combined the two into backpacking as of yet.

Actually, I think I did a backpacking trip as a boy scout a long, long time ago. -But not since then.

#203484 - 09/24/19 05:58 PM Re: Newbie: planning where to camp [Re: murrayof]
BZH Offline

If you live close by a ranger station, I would go and rent (for free) a canister from them to check it out. Learning to pack a bear canister is an art form. That packing efficiency is a good lesson to learn. People pack 7 days worth in the standard 10L bear canister. See if you can fit all of your overnight food into 1/7th the canister!

From a quick scan of the links above, its not clear to me where exactly the bear boxes are located. If you have picked out a trailhead with a campsite with a bear box 5-10 miles from the parking lot, then I would recommend planning to use that and be prepared to hang food if needed. Otherwise try out a bear canister from the rangers. They will probably give you a Garcia canister. If you like this hobby I wouldn't buy one of those. There are better lighter options IMO. Rangers give out Garcia's because they are heavy duty.

Even if you bring a bear canister maybe give hanging a try to see how you like it.

#203485 - 09/24/19 08:46 PM Re: Newbie: planning where to camp [Re: BZH]

Of course you never know when a "smarter than the average bear" will learn to overcome a canister, which will put it on the no-no list for that area. There's a reason these containers are called "bear resistant" and not "bear-proof."

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum