Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#203108 - 06/13/19 02:30 PM Hiking carts...
willie1280 Offline

Hey everyone!

Looking to get folks opinions about hiking carts. This would be a single wheel or multi-wheel cart, non-motorized that a person would pull with 1 or 2 hands, or somehow attach to a hip belt. If you google search you can find a variety of various designs out there. Most appear to be no wider than the average shoulder width of an adult male.

-Are there laws/rules preventing these carts on the trail(s) today?
-What's your thoughts if you see someone with one of these carts?
-Anyone with personal experience using a cart?

I ask this as i get older and my knees continue to get worse as well as the disc in my neck and back.

Looking forward to a good healthy discussion!

#203109 - 06/13/19 03:05 PM Re: Hiking carts... [Re: willie1280]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Some of my favorite trails are the more rugged ones. There's no way I'd want to pull a cart over them. In fact, it would probably be very dangerous to do so. A cart could pull you off balance or even slip on a narrow steep trail and drag you over a precipice. I can think of some long stretches of lowland trails that it might work, but even then, it would be a huge hassle getting a cart over log falls or through thick brush or over a root covered slope. Having said all that, I have no personal experience with a hiking cart.

Maybe this is what you need.

#203110 - 06/13/19 03:38 PM Re: Hiking carts... [Re: willie1280]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
-Are there laws/rules preventing these carts on the trail(s) today?

The first most obvious law or rule applies to designated wilderness areas, where all wheeled vehicles are excluded. I think personal wheelchairs may be exempted, but most wilderness trails are nearly impassible to wheelchairs anyway. Aside from wilderness trails, your local trails will be subject to whatever local rules are set by the local jurisdiction or agency. I'd check with them.

-What's your thoughts if you see someone with one of these carts?

If it were motorized, I'd be inclined to strongly disapprove of using one for any purpose other than to carry tools and materials used for trail maintenance. As for a non-motorized cart or wheelbarrow for personal use, I'd look at the person, the size of the cart, the articles being hauled and draw my conclusions from what I see, based on how much I judged the user fit in with Leave No Trace principles.

#203111 - 06/14/19 04:05 AM Re: Hiking carts... [Re: willie1280]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Illegal in designated wilderness areas, not sure about BLM land. You'd definitely need to know what the terrain is like ahead of time. I can imagine creek crossings could be a problem.

For one instance where it worked, see The Big Open by Rick Ridgeway:

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Open-Across-Tibets-Chang/dp/0792265602

Doubtless you've thought of this, but if you're not already going ultralight, that might be a solution.

#203112 - 06/14/19 09:45 AM Re: Hiking carts... [Re: willie1280]
willie1280 Offline

So i live in Wisconsin and I called and spoke to various folks at the Department of Natural Resources yesterday. I asked if hiking carts were allowed on trails in county, state or national forest including designed state park trails.

First, i was surprised they all knew what i was talking about. Didn't think they would be because i didn't think they were that common. Second, not single one hesitated with confirming that they are allowed in all of those areas. They said because it's non-motorized and it's not something a person sits on or rides on, it doesn't fall into any controlled categories such as biking, atv's, etc.

I'm still reading through the Wilderness Act document to see what the specific verbage is in there that prohibits their use. However, i'm not sure how/why the DNR would say they're ok if the Wilderness Act covers any of those forest or areas i mentioned.

#203113 - 06/14/19 09:48 AM Re: Hiking carts... [Re: Bill Kennedy]
willie1280 Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Kennedy
Illegal in designated wilderness areas, not sure about BLM land. You'd definitely need to know what the terrain is like ahead of time. I can imagine creek crossings could be a problem.

For one instance where it worked, see The Big Open by Rick Ridgeway:

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Open-Across-Tibets-Chang/dp/0792265602

Doubtless you've thought of this, but if you're not already going ultralight, that might be a solution.

Bill, it's not 100% all about the weight, but rather how the weight is carried is what usually causes more of the problems for me.

#203114 - 06/14/19 02:06 PM Re: Hiking carts... [Re: willie1280]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
If it works for you then go for it if it is within regs. I've heard it stated several times prior to this thread that they are not allowed in designated wilderness areas. The guy you talked to on the phone might have a more broad interpretation where in other areas they take a more narrow view of the wilderness act. You may be fine based on your conversation with the DNR in your area but there is some risk to using a cart like this in wilderness areas.

#203115 - 06/14/19 02:12 PM Re: Hiking carts... [Re: willie1280]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Federal wilderness areas would not be administered by the Wisconsin DNR, but by the USFS or NPS. The DNR probably is familiar with carts because hunters sometimes use them, because even dressed, a deer carcass amounts to a lot of weight and bulk.

I consulted Wikipedia to find the federally designated wilderness areas in Wisconsin. They are:

Blackjack Springs - 5,800-acre wilderness area northeast of Eagle River, Wisconsin. It is located within the Nicolet unit of the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest.

Gaylord Nelson - 35,000-acre wilderness area located within Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, off the Bayfield Peninsula of northern Wisconsin. Administered by the National Park Service.

Headwaters - 22,033-acre wilderness area located within the Nicolet unit of the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest in northeastern Wisconsin.

Porcupine Lake - Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest

Rainbow Lake - Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest

Whisker Lake - Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest

Wisconsin Islands - 29 acres located in Door County in northeastern Wisconsin.

#203117 - 06/15/19 05:04 AM Re: Hiking carts... [Re: willie1280]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
In the book I mentioned, they used custom-made rickshaw-like carts with some kind of harness. It occurs to me that there may be harnesses available for pulling a sled that could be adapted.

#203118 - 06/15/19 11:36 AM Re: Hiking carts... [Re: Bill Kennedy]
Lonerock Offline

Loc: Southern Oregon
Plan B: Consider getting a pack animal such as a such as a horse, llama, goat, dog, or donkey to carry part or all of the weight. You may be able to rent rather than buy some of the animals. I agree that it could be difficult if not dangerous trying to haul a wheeled device over difficult terrain. I sympathize with your medical difficulties since I too am beginning to deal with problems as I age. The first step is to try and lighten your load and if this doesn't help then consider the animals (or a Sherpa).

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 242 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum