Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#202489 - 01/24/19 11:00 PM Whats your sleep system consist off
JohnyH Offline

Is there any difference between your backpacking kit with the intention of primitive camping versus car camping kit?different from each other? If so how?

What do you use for rain and wind protection do you ever build shelters out of wood once you're in the woods

#202490 - 01/24/19 11:22 PM Re: Whats your sleep system consist off [Re: JohnyH]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
My car camping kit is almost 100% different than my backpacking gear, for the very good reason that what makes for the best camping experience is almost 100% different in those two situations - and I can afford two whole sets of gear, one suited to each pursuit.

Because the two sets of gear are so entirely different from each other, it would take me x50 more effort to fully answer your question than it took you to ask it.

Why do you want this information?

#202492 - 01/25/19 12:39 AM Re: Whats your sleep system consist off [Re: JohnyH]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I haven't car camped in many years, but if I did, I'd probably use the same gear, except maybe a different sleeping pad.

I use a small tent or a Ray-Way style tarp & net-tent. I would never build a shelter...not a good idea to cut tree branches, etc., and likely illegal in any designated wilderness area.

#202494 - 01/25/19 01:35 AM Re: Whats your sleep system consist off [Re: aimless]
JohnyH Offline

I'm trying to learn

people give me looks when I carry a backpack when I go hiking in less than 5 Mile trails

they [profanity deleted by moderator]

they tell me I look like I'm going to the Himalayas which bugs me a lot

I don't know why it's anybody's business what I carry so I wanted to know what is it that other people carry

both hiking and camping, car camping or primitive camping you name it

That's why I was curious

Edited by Glenn Roberts (01/25/19 08:11 AM)
Edit Reason: Remove profanity

#202496 - 01/25/19 03:32 AM Re: Whats your sleep system consist off [Re: JohnyH]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Originally Posted By JohnyH

I don't know why it's anybody's business what I carry

It isn't. You can certainly learn from others, but in the end it's what works for you that's important.

#202499 - 01/25/19 11:38 AM Re: Whats your sleep system consist off [Re: JohnyH]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
My car camping tent (7.5 ft tall six person tent) weighs pretty close to my entire backpacking kit. I certainly carry different stuff for each activity. My original car camping kit was supposed to be in between car camping and backpacking. It wasn't very good for car camping and way too heavy for backpacking. As I replaced gear the two sets diverged.

#202500 - 01/25/19 11:50 AM Re: Whats your sleep system consist off [Re: BZH]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
For backpacking, weight is a critical factor. We use a lightweight tent (3 lbs) neo-air mattresses (under a pound each0 and down 20 degree bags (about two pounds.) So for the two of us we are carrying 7 pounds total.

Car camping? We just bought an old Ford Van. Our tent now weight about 4,000 pounds. But the rest of the stuff is the same stuff we use for backpacking.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#202511 - 01/26/19 12:49 PM Re: Whats your sleep system consist off [Re: balzaccom]
Lonerock Offline

Loc: Southern Oregon
First of all, what you carry on your back, whether you're on a day hike or backpacking become a matter of individual preference. I've seen experienced hikers go on long hikes with nothing more than a few bandaids and a small bottle of water. I've also seen people go on fairly short day hikes with large packs to cover multiple contingencies. In both cases it's what your comfort level is. Just think safety at all times!
You can save money by using most of the same equipment both for backpacking and camping but you'll sacrifice some level of comfort by not bringing heavier equpment car camping that will provide more luxury such as a larger tent, larger sleeping pad or cot, larger variety of cooking equipment, etc.
As far as wind and rain protection a good tent with a rain fly should be all you need. Try to "leave no trace" of your visit by leaving everthing as you find it and not using wood for structures, fires, etc.

#202532 - 01/29/19 11:51 AM Re: Whats your sleep system consist off [Re: JohnyH]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Originally Posted By JohnyH
Is there any difference between your backpacking kit with the intention of primitive camping versus car camping kit?different from each other? If so how?

What do you use for rain and wind protection do you ever build shelters out of wood once you're in the woods
There is a lot of crossover in my car camping kit and backpacking kit, just because I don't want to spend money unnecessarily. One big difference is the shelter. I use a 3 person, non-ultralight, tent when I'm car camping. I usually use a homemade (plastic window film) tarp when backpacking.

And, I strongly not recommend building wooden shelters. They take too long to construct and are not a sure bet, depending on location. More importantly, they definitely do not meet Leave No Trace (LNT) practices.

EDIT: The only exceptions I would make about the wooden shelters are if (a) you are on private land and have the land owner's permission or (b) it is a life and death situation.

Edited by 4evrplan (01/29/19 12:03 PM)

#202536 - 01/29/19 01:38 PM Re: Whats your sleep system consist off [Re: JohnyH]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Check the sticky post by "phat" at the beginning of the "Backcountry Beginners" section on this forum. It has useful links to several backpacking gear lists.

Two of these lists are on the home page of this site, along with much other useful information.

My own gear list is modeled after the 27-pound, 7 day pack list. Not exactly the same items, but similar in weight, aiming for about 15 lbs base weight (everything except fuel, food, water--in other words, the items that go on every trip regardless of length). I managed to pare my list down to 12 1/2 lbs. base weight.

#202559 - 02/01/19 03:29 AM Re: Whats your sleep system consist off [Re: OregonMouse]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse

My own gear list is modeled after the 27-pound, 7 day pack list. Not exactly the same items, but similar in weight, aiming for about 15 lbs base weight (everything except fuel, food, water--in other words, the items that go on every trip regardless of length). I managed to pare my list down to 12 1/2 lbs. base weight.

I'd be curious to see your gear list if you have it available. I've looked at the list you mentioned, and my gear has items of similar weight, but I can't seem to get my base weight down that far.

#202560 - 02/01/19 12:52 PM Re: Whats your sleep system consist off [Re: Bill Kennedy]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I don't have a way to put my gear list online, and I'd rather not make it public. I did have to spend too many $$$ to shave off those 3 lbs. I think the 15 lb. goal for summer Rockies/Cascades backpacking is quite reasonable, though.

#202567 - 02/03/19 09:49 PM Re: Whats your sleep system consist off [Re: JohnyH]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I pack separate car camping stuff when I backpack and spend a night before the trip at a campground. The main reason is that I do not have to chance getting my gear wet and do not have to re-pack when ready to go. I have some old heavier but plush insulated pads that I use for car camping. My backpack pad is really minimal.

Another reason is that you do sacrifice durability to get light weight, so much of the light backpack gear nowadays is not only expensive but I want to have it last the longest time I can for backpacking. I do not want to wear it out car camping when I have other stuff that works just fine.

Over years of backpacking I have no shortage of old sleeping gear! I have a heavy synthetic bag I use before I could afford a high quality down bag. That is now my car camping bag. When my backpack tents becomes too unreliable, they becomes my car camping tent. If it sprung a leak, I could always bail out into the car.

PS. Glen! The tent you gave me has been used a lot and now is almost ready to become my next car camping tent. Cannot thank you enough for giving me that tent.

#203009 - 05/12/19 08:49 PM Re: Whats your sleep system consist off [Re: JohnyH]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
This brings up a topic I may post elsewhere. That is; why do you hike/backpack to begin with? I certainly don't do it because I care what anyone else thinks. I probably look pretty rough when I see other people on the trail. I don't take many changes of clothes. I let my beard grow. I often purchase second hand gear and clothing at the thrift store.
I try to use trails that have very little use or have been abandon. I love to see people out on the trail enjoying themselves, but so much on "my" trail. You will learn a lot here and in books (I highly recommend "the Complete Walker." ) But in the end you will have your own style, your own opinions, your custom selection of gear and learn what to take with you and what to leave behind. There is no teacher like experience. Last week I used a thin plastic painters tarp 7x3 for a ground cloth. I used a Big Agnes 66" air mattress and my NF 27F degree bag. I had a 5x8 tarp that I set up in a Lean-to style and everything worked fine.. The only thing I didn't have was my P-bottle so I had to get out of bed to pee and it was near freezing outside. The P-bottle is one of mankind's great inventions.

Don't learn to do, but learn in doing. Let your falls not be on a prepared ground, but let them be bona fide falls in the rough and tumble of the world.
Samuel Butler (1835-1902), English author. Samuel Butler's Notebooks (1951, p. 157).

#203937 - 01/01/20 12:19 AM Re: Whats your sleep system consist off [Re: JohnyH]
Petro1234 Offline

Loc: engeland
Hiking sleep kit consists of a foam pad bivvy bag sleeping bag, is extremley quick and simple to pack unpack and can sleep virtually anywhere.

Camping kit consists of a tent, bed of some sort, matress topper of some sort and sleeping bag. Its complicated, time consuming and needs a large piece of ground

One weighs 1lb 13oz / 800g plus sleeping bag, the other weighs more for each component. But the one is very comfy and relazing.

Edited by Petro1234 (01/01/20 01:02 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum