Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#202965 - 04/30/19 01:28 PM High Peak Pacific Crest 90 Backpack
iamchrisston Offline

Loc: IN
Is anyone familiar with this backpack? My dad is sending me one for my wedding gift and there is next to no info and pictures online.

I'd like to see more pics of this inside, compartments, etc. I'd like info and opinions from people who own or have owned this pack. Also, what size hydration bladder is compatible with it?

Thanks!

#202967 - 04/30/19 02:32 PM Re: High Peak Pacific Crest 90 Backpack [Re: iamchrisston]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Can you persuade Dad to send a check instead so you can shop for the pack yourself? Pack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit, and you really need to try on numerous packs with your gear loaded inside to be sure you get a good fit.

#202968 - 04/30/19 02:49 PM Re: High Peak Pacific Crest 90 Backpack [Re: OregonMouse]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
The "90" in that model designator sounds like the thing is 90 liters, which is HUGE. If so, it either means you fill it up and consequently have a very heavy pack, or you have far too much space for what you need and consequently have a problem packing it sensibly, with everything having migrated to the bottom of the pack.

A second vote for allowing you to choose your own pack. smile

#202970 - 04/30/19 08:12 PM Re: High Peak Pacific Crest 90 Backpack [Re: iamchrisston]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
This pack definitely has "my first backpacking purchase mistake" written all over. It is an unknown brand and is absolutely massive. They size it based on your height... not your torso length. If you are a beginner there will be a lot of temptation to pack every fear you can think of (why not throw that in too? sure, I've got plenty of room). You will end up with a poorly fitting pack and 60 lbs of gear you don't need.

#202971 - 05/02/19 01:32 AM Re: High Peak Pacific Crest 90 Backpack [Re: iamchrisston]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
Another +1 for getting cash to buy your own pack. The pack your dad wants to send you weighs over 6 pounds! Far, far, far too heavy.

#202972 - 05/02/19 04:14 PM Re: High Peak Pacific Crest 90 Backpack [Re: iamchrisston]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
On the home page of this site is an article on things to look for when selecting and fitting a pack.

Note particularly the part that points out that a person's height is often not related to their torso length. Torso length is the key measurement (although not the only one) for fitting a pack.

I hope that Dad can return the pack if he's already bought it!

#202975 - 05/05/19 12:11 AM Re: High Peak Pacific Crest 90 Backpack [Re: iamchrisston]
Petro1234 Offline

Loc: engeland
Depends on what you want the pack for really, if you want it for carrying a heavy load a few hundred yards, to be thrown into airplane cargo holds, dumped on tarmac, kicked in boarding houses etc it looks fine for that sort of backpacking. If you wish to go long distance or steep gradinents its not really what your after. As stated by others, you havnt tried the fit and its a bit heavy.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum