Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#202794 - 03/19/19 04:16 PM Backpacking Jacket -- Help me get my head right
Cal_Hawkeye Offline

I'm trying to decide on a warm (maybe 60 - 100g/m2), packable insulated jacket to take with me on backpacking trips (solo in some cases) deep into the Sierras or other remote, mountainous destinations. I know there is a lot of info on this and I've read a lot -- but I think it's to the point that the more I read the more conflicted I become.

I have traditionally leaned towards synthetic insulation for these sorts of applications. The scenario that I can't get past is me being caught in a cold rain/sleet storm or otherwise getting my gear wet (like falling into a creek), and being stuck in a very bad situation with useless wet down (as opposed to some synthetic that might keep me a bit warm and can be dried out in time to be useful). But I know down will be warmer for the weight and will hold up better over time, and there seem to be a lot more affordable down options.
I'm reading other ways to look at it, so I think I need someone to set me straight.

So far, I do think I want something with a decently tough and water resistant shell so that I can skip bringing an outer hard shell. And I'm not looking to break the bank. Other than going to the mountains or visiting cold places in the winter on occasion, I will probably never use this jacket, so looking for good bang for my buck (at a good time to buy cheap cold weather gear). Also, I want it to have a hood.

Edited by Cal_Hawkeye (03/19/19 04:31 PM)

#202795 - 03/19/19 07:26 PM Re: Backpacking Jacket -- Help me get my head right [Re: Cal_Hawkeye]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
If you're worried about down failing at the slightest hint of moisture, try washing your sleeping bag sometime in the bath tub. It is darn tough to "wet out" down. For the Sierra's I bring a cheap down coat I got off of Amazon. It is similar to the cheap down coats people buy from Costco (but I don't have a membership). Its light, packs small, and ~$40. Probably not as durable or as nicely sewed as something from one of the fancy manufacturers. I think the search terms I used was: "packable down jacket". Quite a few options at quite a few price ranges/star ratings.

edit: this seems pretty close to what I got: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C1XTDMD/ref=emc_b_5_t

Edited by BZH (03/19/19 07:32 PM)

#202796 - 03/20/19 12:42 AM Re: Backpacking Jacket -- Help me get my head right [Re: BZH]
Cal_Hawkeye Offline

Thanks. For the cheap down route, I might look at Uniqlo since I like their stuff and it's very affordable.

I should say that if I went on a trip today, the coat that I would take would be a Marmot Novus Hoody, which is a 40g/m2 synthetic fill jacket. It's pretty warm; I just wonder if it would be safer to have something warmer. But I would obviously want something warmer than that in order to buy something new.

#202797 - 03/20/19 03:53 AM Re: Backpacking Jacket -- Help me get my head right [Re: Cal_Hawkeye]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Originally Posted By Cal_Hawkeye

So far, I do think I want something with a decently tough and water resistant shell so that I can skip bringing an outer hard shell.

You still need a rain shell, so a "tough and water resistant shell" just adds weight and expense.

I would think for the Sierras, in summer, a down jacket would be appropriate, and maybe add a light fleece so you'd at least have one synthetic piece.

#202800 - 03/20/19 12:30 PM Re: Backpacking Jacket -- Help me get my head right [Re: Bill Kennedy]
Lonerock Offline

Loc: Southern Oregon
For the eight years I lived at Lake Tahoe I had a down vest and a waterproof shell and they handled most situations. I had summer work so most of my hiking/backing trips at higher elevations around the lake were during the late summer and fall.

#202923 - 04/19/19 10:20 PM Re: Backpacking Jacket -- Help me get my head right [Re: Lonerock]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
Enlightened Equipment Torrid Apex jacket with hood. Super warm and synthetic. Only 8 ounces. I have used it down to 20 degrees with a light weight base and was very warm

Edited by toddfw2003 (04/19/19 10:20 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum