Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#202755 - 03/09/19 02:04 PM tent repair, replace....?
rookie580 Offline

Loc: PA
I have an REI Nitelite tent from about 1995. And an MSR Hubba Hubba from about 2006. Making a family etc... has kept us off the trail since about 2009. Recently we've decided the kids are big enough to start overnighting so I checked the tents. The REI tent's seams are peeling/dry. The MSR tent's fly is all sticky on the underside. Apparently it's a "known issue" with the "modern techniques and materials to decrease weight". They won't replace under warranty.

I can repair the seams on the REI tent. I can buy a new fly from MSR (about $120), or get a new tent (about $100-150). I've found some new ones that reviews say are as good as the big names.

The question is a bit more time sensitive because I'm going on a Girl Scout trip next month and we will need 3 tents soon anyway. But the weather is still kinda crappy here in PA so drying a repair in the sun isn't an option.

So....Should I put the effort into the 20+ year tent hoping nothing else will go bad, spend the money on the replacement fly on the 13 year old tent hoping that it'll continue to be a good tent, or buy a new one.

#202758 - 03/09/19 02:50 PM Re: tent repair, replace....? [Re: rookie580]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
My answer would depend on the weather you are expecting on your trip. If it doesn't look bad, you might chance it with the older tents. But a full night of rain in a leaky tent is an absolute guarantee of disaster. '

Have you checked ebay to see if you can find a used rain fly? That might be cheaper than buying new!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#202763 - 03/09/19 08:03 PM Re: tent repair, replace....? [Re: balzaccom]
rookie580 Offline

Loc: PA
haha unfortunately the fly problem is a problem for everybody so there are used tents but no flies.

I have no idea what the weather will be like. It's usually pretty decent here by now but we still have snow. I'm praying it'll be warmish and dry. It's been a while and the body isn't quite so used so ready to take the ground anymore. I think, at least, I'll be getting myself a new sleeping mat. My 3/4 thermarest isn't going to cut it. wink

#202775 - 03/11/19 05:29 AM Re: tent repair, replace....? [Re: rookie580]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
The"...known issue" with the "modern techniques and materials to decrease weight" is just B.S. Urethane coated nylon has always had that problem, known as hydrolysis, in which the urethane coating absorbs moisture from the atmosphere (or from being stored wet) and becomes sticky. I've lost several tents and some bulk fabric as a result. The North Face, to their credit, replaced one of them, back in the '80s. The replacement eventually succumbed to the same problem.

The new Hubba Hubba claims "Xtreme Shield™ waterproof coating keeps you dry, resists fabric stickiness from hydrolysis and lasts up to 3 times longer than standard waterproof coatings"

I notice that Ripstop By The Roll sells a urethane coated ripstop nylon that uses a "non-hydrolyzing, polyether base" but I don't know which new tents use it.

#202779 - 03/11/19 11:50 AM Re: tent repair, replace....? [Re: rookie580]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Replace the tent.

Normally I would say putting $120 into an MSR product would be worth it compared to $150 for a generic product, but tents have lifespans. If the rain fly is sticky, the floor is not far behind. Rain seeping through your ceiling is bad... next to that is having water seep up through your floor. The two functions of a tent are to stay dry and keep the bugs out. Your MSR tent most likely (even with a new fly) will fail at the first and being 20 years old probably has more than a couple holes that make it less effective against the second.

#202781 - 03/11/19 12:17 PM Re: tent repair, replace....? [Re: rookie580]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I agree that tents that old should be replaced--they are not worth repairing. Urethane coated nylon is hopeless once it starts deteriorating.

That goes for both tents. If the newer urethane coatings last longer as advertised, you may get a longer life out of them, particularly if you dry them thoroughly before storage and don't leave them in storage for years.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/11/19 12:19 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum