Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#202417 - 01/16/19 02:53 PM Ultralight durable 3P tent for 2 - Swiss Alps and
Mbphoto Offline

Loc: Switzerland
Hey there

New here and new to backpacking too (my better half isn't completely new to it, though).

We're considering a backpacking trip in Scandinavia this summer and want to bring a tent along. (We'll also rent a car to be mobile throughout Norway, Sweden, and Finland, but want to sleep outdoors often)
Obviously, we will also use the tent in spring - late fall in the Swiss alps (up to 3'000m above sea at most, more likely at around 2k!)

Our first pick right now would be an MSR Hubba Hubba NX, because it is very convincing feature-wise, looks reasonably sturdy and reliable and doesn't weigh too much.

My issue with this tent is, however, that the space inside seems a little cramped. While we're usually very close sleepers and even made sure that our sleeping bags can be coupled together, we're used to a bed 140cm wide. Therefore, it would be nice to have a little extra space, especially since it's usually very uncomfortable if you touch the tent walls.

Also, it might come in handy to be able to bring the pack inside with you (camera gear most of all).

Therefore, I'm interested in a 3-person tent that doesn't weigh too much more than the Hubba Hubba NX.
It doesn't have to be roomy for three, may even be one that reviewers call "cramped for 3", as long as there's more room for 2.

Now the annoying part:

We want a completely yellow/orange tent, like the old Hubba Hubba (or the MSR Access, which is not an option due to the lack of mesh inside.. it's summer, after all..) or a dark green one (like the Hubba Hubba NX).

We don't want lime green (Nemo Dagger) or any ugly mixture of white with colour (MSR default colour, Big Agnes, etc.), brown, sand, or grey, so we're kinda picky.. (and most might find that ridiculous or superficial, but we cannot ignore the optics part..)

Let's say, the tent shouldn't weigh more than 2 kilograms in total. (I don't quite get those weird "minimum weight" informations, since I've never used a tent without stakes and poles and that stuff laugh )

Shoulder room is a concern, since many UL tents make sacrifices there.. I think, 1 meter should be the minimum, so one can sit inside the tent and play card games while the weather is bad outside..

Budget-wise, I don't want to set up too many limitations, since many tents can be found online far cheaper than what they retail for. If it ends up costing below 500 USD, we should be happy.

From what I could gather so far in the following lists:
https://www.backpacker.com/gear/the-best-3-person-tents-for-backpackers
https://mountainsforeverybody.com/best-backpacking-3-person-tents

The MSR Freelite 3 seems to be a great choice, if I bring a footprint along (which I would do anyways). Otoh, many rate the durability as low.. And it's not free-standing and MSR doesn't appear to have it listed any longer?!

Also, the Mytrailco UL3 tent has a great colour and affordable price tag, but nearly impossible to get one around here; and the door is on the head end instead of the sides...

The Marmot Tungsten UL 3P and Force 3P are interesting, albeit in a weird greenish mustard yellow..

I'm open for your advices and opinions and am aware that many manufacturers release new versions this spring. I simply couldn't find out much more.

Cheers
Mischa

#202418 - 01/16/19 03:38 PM Re: Ultralight durable 3P tent for 2 - Swiss Alps and [Re: Mbphoto]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Ultralight, roomy with features, sturdy - pick two.

You’re smart not to put an unrealistic budget in the mix. If you did, it would be “ultralight, roomy with features, sturdy, cheap - pick three.” (Or maybe still only two.)

I’m sorry; beyond that, I can’t offer any advice as I have no experience in the type of mountains or climates in which you’re planning to travel.

#202419 - 01/16/19 05:55 PM Re: Ultralight durable 3P tent for 2 - Swiss Alps and [Re: Mbphoto]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
You might want to look at tarptent.com. whose tents are roomier than most. They do sell separate poles for trekking-pole supported tents. and they have a number of double-wall options. Unless you get one of their new models made with cuben fiber (or whatever it is called now), they are within your price guidelines. I've used two different models under rugged and stormy conditions.

However, because you're in Switzerland, I would suggest sticking with European-made tents which will save you the shipping and duties on US-made tents.

#202420 - 01/17/19 01:08 AM Re: Ultralight durable 3P tent for 2 - Swiss Alps and [Re: OregonMouse]
Mbphoto Offline

Hey

Thanks for the quick replies.
Yeah, I know I'm asking for a lot.
I simply thought that it should be possible to find something not too heavy with an acceptable height and durability.

The Swiss Alps (6'000 to nearly 10'000ft above sea level) are what concerns me re durability. Above the tree line, you cannot always avoid some wind.

Scandinavia shouldn't be the issue, since the weather will be relatively mild during July.

Re us made tents:
I would highly prefer a seller from around here, yes.
MSR are us made, but you can buy them everywhere in Europe.

#202421 - 01/17/19 01:13 AM Re: Ultralight durable 3P tent for 2 - Swiss Alps and [Re: Mbphoto]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
We have the Tartent 3p rainbow, I think it is, and it is an ideal solution for you. Roomy, pretty darn sturdy not ugly and quite lightweight. I think ours comes in at under 1.5kg. Very nice people to deal with---they would do what they could to get the tent to you in Europe.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#202423 - 01/17/19 11:19 AM Re: Ultralight durable 3P tent for 2 - Swiss Alps and [Re: balzaccom]
Mbphoto Offline

I don't doubt that they would love to send me one of their tents.

However, if there's an issue, sending it in would cost me about 50 USD..

I spend the entire afternoon researching tents and kinda gave up on finding "the one" that would satisfy me completely. Always ended up back with the Freelite 3 and the wish to have 4 inches more headroom and an orange rain fly.. laugh

So I did what I always do: I made an impulse purchase.

I have a 100 days return policy with my new fav online retailer (snowleader, from France, with free return shipping) and found a great deal on the Frelite 3 V2 (paid 480 USD in total).

I'll set it up in the living room and see how I like it inside. (not fully freestanding, so I'll use something to weigh down the strings)
Should I end up disliking it, I can simply pack it up and return it.

I really like the design and the green rainfly is very stealthy in the woods, albeit a bit boring when in the far north and up in the mountains, where there aren't any trees around.

While the Hubba Hubba NX would cost 150 USD less, it weighs 200g more (1.76 vs 1.56 kg) and offers significantly less floor space inside. The 150 USD is something two people spend for a single night in a so-called SAC hut (mountain lodges where you sleep in rooms with 10+ other people and get served food in the evening and morning), so we will survive.. laugh

I'll also make sure that it truly is the V2 of the Freelite, with the Easton carbon syclone poles and the new xtreme shield-thingy coating.

I'll tell you what I think once I got it, but won't be able to use it for at least another few months..
I don't think, the price will be any better then, when MSR releases the new tents for 2019 on Feb 1st..

#202424 - 01/17/19 11:27 AM Re: Ultralight durable 3P tent for 2 - Swiss Alps and [Re: balzaccom]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I agree with the above recommendations on a Tarptent. I have a Hogback (4 person tent under 2 kg) and absolutely love it. I think the Stratospire 2 or the Rainshadow 3 would work well for you. Both are roomier and lighter than the HubbaHubba.

Edited by BZH (01/17/19 11:29 AM)

#202425 - 01/17/19 12:08 PM Re: Ultralight durable 3P tent for 2 - Swiss Alps and [Re: Mbphoto]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
It seems that asking for our advice was a necessary part of your arriving at a choice, even though receiving our advice didn't play any part in the final process. laugh

#202426 - 01/17/19 01:57 PM Re: Ultralight durable 3P tent for 2 - Swiss Alps and [Re: aimless]
Mbphoto Offline

Hmm.. maybe you're right laugh

On the other hand, I have to admit that I'm a very impatient person and have been looking intensely at tents for a week now, always gravitating towards MSR.

Then, I ask my questions, clearly stating that I want a bright yellow or orange fly colour (or dark green) with an inner tent with mesh lining, and good shoulder room (being the only thing that didn't impress me with the Freelite series).

I was hoping to get pointed to something I hadn't seen before, that would maybe satisfy my needs even better. (like a Marmot Tungsten UL 3P with orange fly as an option.. laugh )

However, I get recommendations for grey tents with no liners at all, or white "frosted" liners that add nearly 200 grams to the pack weight. In addition, said tents are not available around here and any matters of warranty would become a serious hassle for me.

As I've said. With the 100 days return policy, I can always switch to a different tent, since I won't be able to use it outdoors very soon anyways. (Living at 1'200 m above sea level in the mountains)

#202429 - 01/17/19 06:06 PM Re: Ultralight durable 3P tent for 2 - Swiss Alps and [Re: Mbphoto]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I’ve used MSR’s tents since they started making tents (I used Moss tents before that; MSR bought Moss so they’d have a tent division.)

I’ve used the Hubba series since it first came out, and have never had an issue with them. The Carbon Reflex series and the Freelite series are both rooted in the Hubba design. I have spent a night in 20-30 mile per hour (30 -45 kilometer per hour?) sustained winds in a Carbon Reflex 1. I had one corner try to lift a bit, but other than that, the tent was rock-solid stable. My buddy was in a Hubba, and his tent didn’t even try to lift a corner.

I’ve tried a few other brands (Mountain Hardwear, Sierra Designs, and Big Agnes), but after a trip or two keep coming back to MSR and selling or giving away the other brands.

I think you made a reliable choice (but remember, I have no real mountain experience.)

#202446 - 01/20/19 12:26 PM Re: Ultralight durable 3P tent for 2 - Swiss Alps and [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Mbphoto Offline

Tent sits in the living room and we love it!

Height is perfect, the red is beautiful and there is plenty of room inside (for two, that is!)

Two things, though:
- The green rain fly is the darkest shade of green I have ever seen, and WAY off of the product pictures!
No complaints, it looks good and we wanted stealth in the woods, but the editing on those photos was pee poor...
I already had the same issue with my yellow Falketind GTX jacket from Norrøna, where the pictures show bright yellow and near black zippers, and the jacket in reality is a muted mustard yellow with grey zippers (took some getting used to, but I really like it now..)

Also, I have a colour calibrated Eizo screen, so it cannot be that.

- One reviewer cried about the lack of a measure of fixation for the rain fly on the front leg.
There actually is a red loop but nothing attached to it. MSR told him that they needed to save weight. (maybe 5 grams for the fabric and metal loop to connect to the tent...)
So, that's really weird and kinda annoying, but I'll figure something out.
(the issue is, that the rain fly isn't held down by the tent skeleton, so can easily slip up by 2 feet to where the guy string is attached.. I really cannot see, what the benefit of this should be)

#202585 - 02/07/19 11:30 PM Re: Ultralight durable 3P tent for 2 - Swiss Alps and [Re: Mbphoto]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
If you can handle a tarp check out Luxe tents. Not UL by a lot of people standards. you are looking at 1.5 pounds for a 3 person tipi

#202597 - 02/13/19 10:09 PM Re: Ultralight durable 3P tent for 2 - Swiss Alps and [Re: Mbphoto]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
I think that the newer version has a darker green fly than the first one. If you search for it now you should be able to see both the older and new (darker) green.
https://www.backpacking-united.com/au/ms...AiABEgLqDfD_BwE
wrong tent but the new green

Edited by Franco (02/13/19 10:12 PM)

#202598 - 02/14/19 08:08 AM Re: Ultralight durable 3P tent for 2 - Swiss Alps and [Re: Franco]
Mbphoto Offline

They changed the pictures.. not sure they changed the design, though.

Mine looks like this:

And you'll definitely agree that this is far from the green that they pictured. laugh

Now, I'm not complaining. I wanted either a bright yellow/orange one, or a dark green one for stealth.
Now, I have a stealthy one that is great for stealthy camping but not very photogenic for those insta posts laugh

#202610 - 02/14/19 09:02 PM Re: Ultralight durable 3P tent for 2 - Swiss Alps and [Re: Mbphoto]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
That is VERY dark indeed. Hilleberg had a similar "dark green" a few years ago. Also much darker than in the official photos.

#202615 - 02/15/19 04:21 AM Re: Ultralight durable 3P tent for 2 - Swiss Alps and [Re: Franco]
Mbphoto Offline

Yeah.. It reminded me alot of the greens used in the army.. But they/we know why we use that colour to go undetected, so that's fine with me wink

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum