Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#202479 - 01/24/19 07:36 PM Do you carry knives in your kit
JohnyH Offline

If so, do you have a separate kit for hiking a separate kit for camping. Which knives do you carry in either?

If you think that carrying knives in either is crazy please refrain from answering I do not want to go back and forth arguing with people

I am looking for people who actually carry knives in their kits

#202482 - 01/24/19 09:17 PM Re: Do you carry knives in your kit [Re: JohnyH]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I carry a Swiss Army Recruit knife. It rides in my pants pocket full time, whether I am backpacking, car camping, hiking, shopping for groceries, sitting in front of the computer... like I said: full time.

The Recruit model has: one large and one small blade, a can opener and a bottle opener (with large and small screwdriver blade tips), a toothpick, and tweezers. It weighs a bit more than 1.5 ounces (my cheap gram scale says 48 grams).

But knife preference varies widely and knife-using habits are equally individual, so what anyone else here uses will reflect their needs, habits and opinions, and may not fit your needs very well.

#202484 - 01/24/19 10:13 PM Re: Do you carry knives in your kit [Re: aimless]
JohnyH Offline

Do you have any large knives, fixed blades 5 inch or bigger like esse junglas, do you carry large Chopper knives ever hiking or camping not in your backyard?

When going into the actual Woods

there's a thousand people on YouTube discussing what they pack in their gear and they always have Choppers and yet I have talked to over a hundred people on these Camping forums and every single one of them has told me they only carry small folder

I am beyond surprised

personally I always have at least one 6 in knife on me if I have a bag

I only carry you a folder as a Leatherman in my pocket as my EDC

for the woods I don't feel safe without at least one fixed blade

then again I think that hiking more than 15 miles is Ludicrous I would never even attempt to hike a hundred miles like some pwople do, nor is it fun for me

#202486 - 01/24/19 10:27 PM Re: Do you carry knives in your kit [Re: JohnyH]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
I carry a tiny little folding blade to cut the salami and cheese we carry for lunch. It also comes in handy for any repairs--which are going to be more about sewing than anything else.

I don't carry anything with a screw or a nut, so tools like a Leatherman are just dead weight in my pack. And a big fixed blade knife? I can't think of any way I would use it.

Car camping is different, because my wife is a chef, so she likes a few cooking knives in the back of the van for her use.

You should try hiking 15 miles. You see things that you can't see any other way.

Edited by balzaccom (01/24/19 10:28 PM)

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#202488 - 01/24/19 10:49 PM Re: Do you carry knives in your kit [Re: JohnyH]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I moved this thread to General Discussion, as a better fit than Make Your own Gear, since we aren't talking about making our own knives.

Where do you hike, JohnyH? A Michigander or Arkansan is going to look at gear differently than those of us who hike in the big mountains out west, especially out here in states where wildfires are an enormous problem.

#202491 - 01/25/19 12:33 AM Re: Do you carry knives in your kit [Re: JohnyH]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
It's not surprising that most backpackers don't carry a fixed blade knife. There's really no need, and it's extra weight. I think those involved in "bushcraft" are more likely to carry a fixed blade, though. It sounds like that might be the perspective you're coming from.

Personally, I carry a Swiss Army Classic in my pocket all the time, so it goes along, and when hiking I also take a small folder, like a Gerber LST.

I like knives, and have a couple of fixed blades, but wouldn't be likely to take them backpacking.

#202493 - 01/25/19 01:27 AM Re: Do you carry knives in your kit [Re: Bill Kennedy]
JohnyH Offline

I understand that people like to go lightweight especially when backpacking a long distance.

I still cant believe that a lot of you hike well over Twenty Miles at a time. I don't think I've heard of too many people hiking anything close to 50 much less 400 miles.

Anything over 15 would be crazy

The longest trail I have hiked so far was 5 miles (not flat tough) although I have done it on well over 20 times, but each time was less than 5 miles

I can understand if you're really into hiking well over 50 Mi why you would not want your pack to be heavy tough

As far as what type of gear I have in my pack yes I'm definitely coming from the Bushcraft side

I too, even with my relatively non extensive experience have shed weight in my pack but in the beginning, I, had axes in my pack I still have care have a large blade but it seems to me people who like the backpack light may have started with a just a 5 inch fixed blade and downgraded to a Swiss army knife

That's that's kind of funny to me but I can still understand it

Personally I like to have a large blade for batoning wood for making a fire I haven't really talked about other additional issues like sleep systems and such if it's really cold outside I don't like to sleep without a fire that's why I need a big knife or an axe

Im in Louisiana

#202495 - 01/25/19 03:27 AM Re: Do you carry knives in your kit [Re: JohnyH]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Most backpackers don't do 20-mile days. I think those that do are mostly through-hikers hiking the long trails like the PCT or Appalachian Trail, where they need to maximize their daily mileage in order to complete the trail in one season. And they don't start off doing 20-mile days, but build up to it. There are exceptions, of course. Some very fit hikers may go that far daily on an "ordinary" trip, but they're a small minority.

For perspective, I would imagine most people go 5-12 miles in a day on a typical trip. At least, that's true for me. A lot depends on the amount of elevation gain, and of course, pack weight.

I've never done a through-hike, but it seems that most of the people who do are able to build up to 20-mile days, occasionally 30, and very occasionally 40 miles. With very light loads.

In any case, it's not a contest or a race. Whatever pleases you is the right way.

#202501 - 01/25/19 11:51 AM Re: Do you carry knives in your kit [Re: JohnyH]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
You should pack the equipment you need for your intended purposes (within the rules). People who feel they need a large fixed blade knife often talk about batoning wood. How often do you actually baton wood? When I hike in areas that allow camp fires I usually have one. I can usually find plenty of dead 1" diameter and smaller branches that can easily be broken up with my feet. I've never felt the need to baton wood. It seems like a lot of work for vacation. I'd rather spend that effort getting farther down the trail to see more of nature.

#202502 - 01/25/19 11:52 AM Re: Do you carry knives in your kit [Re: Bill Kennedy]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
One more note: most of where I backpack is in areas of limited campfires, either because of the dry fire season, or because I am above timberline. I have never used a fire for heat at night, and I couldn't do that where I backpack.

Thus no need for the larger knife.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#202533 - 01/29/19 12:20 PM Re: Do you carry knives in your kit [Re: JohnyH]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Bushcraft and survivalism are very different from backpacking, but they all get conflated with each other. My EDC tool is a Leatherman Wave (the old version), but that's too heavy for hiking. When I'm hiking, I carry a Leatherman Style PS (because I like having pliers) and a tiny fixed blade knife (2.5 inch blade). The most demanding task I've ever used it for while camping was cutting cheese and sausage. Truthfully, even the small fixed blade is probably overkill, but I suppose it gives me some sense of (false?) security.

EDIT: I meant to say, I almost never have a fire, unless my fire bug of a teenager is with me.

Edited by 4evrplan (01/29/19 12:22 PM)

#204810 - 09/17/20 04:03 AM Re: Do you carry knives in your kit [Re: 4evrplan]
Hari Kanda Offline

Loc: Andhra Pradesh
Originally Posted By 4evrplan
Bushcraft and survivalism are very different from backpacking, but they all get conflated with each other. My EDC tool is a Leatherman Wave (the old version), but that's too heavy for hiking. When I'm hiking, I carry a Leatherman Style PS (because I like having pliers) and a tiny fixed blade knife (2.5 inch blade). The most demanding task I've ever used it for while camping was cutting cheese and sausage. Truthfully, even the small fixed blade is probably overkill, but I suppose it gives me some sense of (false?) security.

EDIT: I meant to say, I almost never have a fire, unless my fire bug of a teenager is with me.

Yes, I do the same

#204975 - 11/19/20 05:27 PM Re: Do you carry knives in your kit [Re: JohnyH]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
Ther is always one knife in my pack, an Opinel in either No.8 or No. 9 size. They come with wooden handles and a very slicey thin blade, excellent for food prep and wood carvings should one need that. They fold and are very light for their size but nothing fancy. The French company that manufactures them is 130 years old and the practical knife has changed very little.

#204977 - 11/19/20 09:14 PM Re: Do you carry knives in your kit [Re: JohnyH]
Arizona Offline

Testing uploaded image of aforementioned knife as it rests with the accoutrements of a trail snack.

Edited by Arizona (11/20/20 12:54 PM)

#204978 - 11/19/20 09:55 PM Re: Do you carry knives in your kit [Re: Arizona]
Phfatcat Offline

Yes, I carry a knife or two when in the woods. Also a small hand axe .

Now, I starting woods hiking in the mid sixties, and a pen knife, at the minimum, was considered de rigeur, and a nice marbles knife would be high class amongst we kids.

Of course, cowboy blankets we're usually the sleep "system", or maybe a sears or coleman bag, but they were so heavy nobody wanted to carry them more than 50, 75 yards of so.

But a knife of some sort? Absolutely!

And if it was a solid back knife that went in a belt sheath , so much the better!

#204997 - 11/21/20 02:11 PM Re: Do you carry knives in your kit [Re: Arizona]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Opinel make a nice, affordable knife that sharpens easily. Will caution the older models have blade locks not as dependable as newer ones, which lock securely. Was glad they redesigned them.

Cheers,

#205001 - 11/21/20 09:04 PM Re: Do you carry knives in your kit [Re: Rick_D]
Arizona Offline

Originally Posted By Rick_D
Opinel make a nice, affordable knife that sharpens easily. Will caution the older models have blade locks not as dependable as newer ones, which lock securely. Was glad they redesigned them.

Cheers,

The new locks are a good advancement. The No. 9 in my image has the new lock. One thing I always do is melt a little beeswax in the joint, the handle ends and all over the wood. It keeps moisture from swelling and blade sticking. And they have a size for everyone.

#205014 - 11/23/20 10:24 AM Re: Do you carry knives in your kit [Re: Arizona]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I got an Opinel a year or so ago and really love it. Nice blade; lightweight; and they come in just about any size you would want. Now I just need to convince myself to leave behind my jumbo swiss army knife I bought as a kid with my paper route money (but what if I need the magnifying glass to start a fire? smile ).

#205016 - 11/23/20 11:01 AM Re: Do you carry knives in your kit [Re: BZH]
Tom7654 Offline

I carry a Gerber LST with 1.75 inch blade. It is extremely light (16 grams or 0.6 ounces), the plastic handle is big and square-edged and knurled for a good grip, and the blade locks open securely for safe operation. The blade is long enough for my common tasks of cutting packaging and food, and it could also whittle an improvised tent stake or whatever. It is reasonably priced, $17 on Amazon.

#205278 - 02/16/21 07:09 PM Re: Do you carry knives in your kit [Re: JohnyH]
DustinV Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
When I was a teenager, I spent two summers in a work program in Yellowstone Park, with a bunch of other teenagers. As soon as we could, we each went to the nearest gift shop to get snacks, t-shirts and knives. I watched all my new friends buy the biggest knives they could afford. I wanted to buy a big knife too, but I only had $20, and that happened to be the price of a Gerber LST.

I spent weeks watching everyone else throwing their knives into trees or the ground. They all had little side-pouches on scabbards with sharpening stones. They had fishhooks and string and matches in the handles. I had to keep my LST in my pocket, where I usually forgot about it.

After awhile working with their knives weighing down their belts, the fish hooks stabbing their fingers and the handles falling off, most of the other guys threw them away. My LST stayed sharp, because I used it to cut a few pieces of string, or carve a stick for marshmallows. I brought it back to work the next summer and I carried it for several years because it just did the job.

Now, I carry a swiss army knife every day, because I have a house that keeps falling apart. The burliest thing I end up doing in the woods is occasionally sawing sticks short enough to go into a folding stove. The rest of the time, it's just scissor work: cutting the top off of a food bag, cutting a cord, a ripped nail...

If I could find a small SAK with just a saw, scissors, tweezers, toothpick and maybe a short blade, I'd buy it and face the wrath of my wife. On trips when fires are banned, I'll bring an Ambassador (a little bigger than a Classic).

#205444 - 03/30/21 06:23 PM Re: Do you carry knives in your kit [Re: JohnyH]
Flipperfla Offline

Loc: Fl
Originally Posted By JohnyH
If so, do you have a separate kit for hiking a separate kit for camping. Which knives do you carry in either?

If you think that carrying knives in either is crazy please refrain from answering I do not want to go back and forth arguing with people

I am looking for people who actually carry knives in their kits

I carry a CRKT SIWI inverted on my backpack strap near my collarbone area. Really handy access but I have to be super careful putting it back in its sheath. When in camp an ESEE 3.

#205707 - 07/15/21 05:10 PM Re: Do you carry knives in your kit [Re: aimless]
nwguy Offline

one model better ..

Victorinox Swiss Army Nail Clip 580 Swiss Army Knife

#205712 - 07/15/21 05:57 PM Re: Do you carry knives in your kit [Re: nwguy]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Just gave one to my nursing-student granddaughter; she loves it. Considering getting one to replace the Classic I carry in my backpack when on the trail (and my pants pocket, every day.)

#205714 - 07/15/21 09:46 PM Re: Do you carry knives in your kit [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Arizona Offline

I’ve found what seems to be the perfect pocketknife for my use. The Spyderco Chaparral has a very small footprint closed but when open gives a full five fingered full fisted grip with the most ergonomic handle I’ve ever experienced in a knife that lays flat and unobtrusive in the pocket. The steel is amazing with a very toothy edge and holds that edge very nicely. Overall the knife is very strong and locks up like a bank vault. The edge is about the size of the scout knives of yore, the ones I grew up with. There are several different versions in regards to scale material. This one is the Sun & Moon in G10, a very strong material. The thin blade is the best slicer I’ve ever used. I was hoping it was close to the slicing performance of an Opinel. It is palpably better. At 2.2 oz it’s not ultralight but in the spectrum I look for.

#206206 - 03/15/22 10:47 PM Re: Do you carry knives in your kit [Re: JohnyH]
strangercar Offline

Loc: United States
Hello. Forgive me if this thread has been posted before; my search yielded no results. If you’re carrying just one, or multiple, or a fixed blade, how do you prefer to carry your knives?

Personally I prefer the outside corner of my right rear pocket. If I don’t have that pocket into my waistband it goes!

I’m curious to see everyone’s opinions on this aspect of the hobby.

Edited by aimless (03/16/22 12:19 AM)
Edit Reason: Removed a long list of brand names and knife models. No SEO spam plz.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum