Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#202250 - 12/07/18 10:32 AM How much did you get out this year?
HPD Offline

Loc: Colorado High Plains
Just curious. The year's just about over and I wondered how much time folks actually spend in the backcountry.
Personally, I only got out once this year for 7 nights, which was more than I've done since 2014, so I feel pretty good about it.
How bout you?

#202251 - 12/07/18 12:19 PM Re: How much did you get out this year? [Re: HPD]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Not as much as I had planned. I intended to hike the John Muir Trail northbound in August but broke some bones in my foot kicking a motel refrigerator enroute (don’t ask). I tried to go anyway but it hurt too much. I scratched the effort on the second day of walking and hiked out.

Besides the aborted JMT hike, I spent four days in the Grand Canyon in May and about a week total on several hikes in the local “sky island” mountains in SE Arizona. I have another planned for between Christmas and New Years, weather permitting.

I’m hopeful for a return match with the JMT this coming summer. I have a few home front issues to deal with but otherwise I feel good to go.

#202252 - 12/07/18 03:16 PM Re: How much did you get out this year? [Re: HPD]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
My backpacking is constrained by the fluctuating state of health of our 32 year old daughter, who is totally disabled, has a long list of medical problems and lives in a group home for medically fragile adults. Last year was a particularly rough year for her, but I got a couple of two-nighters in.

That is less than my average, but was still better than 2016, when I couldn't get out overnight at all. I make up for it somewhat with day hikes, which can be done more on the spur of the moment and provide some of the same psychological benefits as backpacks. I generally choose trails where I can get some solitude.

#202253 - 12/07/18 04:11 PM Re: How much did you get out this year? [Re: HPD]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Not much. Not enough.

I did 2 days on the Ouachita/Boardstand trail loop in March, and 2 days in Guadalupe Mountains National Park in September. Other than day hikes, that's it.

I wish I could do a lot more, but I do what I can while trying to keep all my commitments (and my checkbook) balanced.

#202254 - 12/07/18 05:37 PM Re: How much did you get out this year? [Re: HPD]
Lonerock Offline

Loc: Southern Oregon
Not much. On our second camping trip in early June our dog ruptured a disc and required surgery. Since then her recovery has been slow. Even now she requres assistance getting up but at least she can walk for up to 30 minutes. Hopefully next spring we will be out there hiking again.

Edited by Lonerock (12/07/18 05:38 PM)

#202255 - 12/07/18 07:19 PM Re: How much did you get out this year? [Re: Lonerock]
bobito9 Offline

oh man, really sorry to hear about your dog. That's sad

#202256 - 12/07/18 07:33 PM Re: How much did you get out this year? [Re: HPD]
bobito9 Offline

Well if you got out for a 7 day trip, then that's pretty good, I'd say.
My year was nice. Looking back I realize that I didn't do any backpacking trips longer than 4 days, partly because I had a knee injury and was recovering. However, I did do a total of 7 backpacks, plus quite a bit of car camping and hiking. Plus I hiked or backpacked in a bunch of new places I hadn't been to before: Big Bend Nat'l Park, the Idaho Sawtooths, Steens Mountain in Oregon, Jedidiah Smith Wilderness in Idaho (crossing into Grand Teton), Zion, Warner Mountains in California. And the Bristlecones near Bishop (those are some cool trees!)

#202257 - 12/07/18 08:20 PM Re: How much did you get out this year? [Re: HPD]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Like others, not as much as I wanted. Two overnights helping lead some weekend beginner courses, a couple of two nighters and a couple overnights with a couple buddies. (We all three had health issues with parents and spouses that took priority.)

Also did some dayhiking, which helped.

#202258 - 12/07/18 09:01 PM Re: How much did you get out this year? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I had some fun this year, despite a few challenges. With a bad knee and my wife laid up with a bad heel, we didn't get to do as much backpacking as we wanted. But we did a long car trip through the Southwest, Made trips to Joshua Tree and Death Valley, and managed to get in about 45 bag nights together, including two shorter backpacking trips.

To fill in the empty calendar dates, I did two weeks of trail crew work in the back country...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#202260 - 12/08/18 01:48 AM Re: How much did you get out this year? [Re: HPD]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
It wasn't a traditional year but I got out a good amount. I got two nights backpacking at Harriman park in New York. A night on Anacapa island with 8 million nesting Western gulls in the channel islands. We took a train camping/backpacking trip up the coast in the summer. We didn't make it to Crater lake like we intended due to fires but we had a great adventure on the fly. We car camped a couple nights at Malibu creek state park and we have one more backpacking trip to Reyes national seashore planned between Christmas and New year's.

Edited by BZH (12/08/18 01:50 AM)

#202262 - 12/08/18 07:18 AM Re: How much did you get out this year? [Re: HPD]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
Much less than usual. Every time I wanted to go out it was 90° and 90% humidity. I did one 5 night trip and that was a slow for old trip. It took me twice as long as it took for the same trip several years ago. Age and global warming took it's toll.

#202266 - 12/08/18 12:31 PM Re: How much did you get out this year? [Re: HPD]
HPD Offline

Loc: Colorado High Plains
Well, sounds like many of us have issues that get in the way.

I too have been moving in some other directions, traveling with my recently retired wife in our little Casita trailer. Did a month long trip in April to Key West with lots of outdoor time. Planning another to the SW next year.

The things getting in my way from 2015 thru 2017 were medical.
2015-Food poisoning from SeaTac airport (long story)
2016-Detached retina after week 1 of a 3 week NW road trip in July
2017-Injured toes on a Pre-Wind River backpack in RMNP (then another detached retina the day before Thanksgiving, for good measure)

It's not getting any easier to get out though.
I'm trying to tone the outdoor stuff down a bit, though I find that hard to do.

On the trip I did this past August, I felt myself cross a line a couple times from-exhaustion due to overdoing it and dehydration from unusually warm temps and of course, not drinking enough water. Circumstances and stupidity gets you every time.

Hopefully we can all get out, at least a little more, next year!

#202272 - 12/09/18 12:45 AM Re: How much did you get out this year? [Re: HPD]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
I had a fun year. Plenty of dayhikes in the Cascades and surrounding areas. A four-nighter in Henry Coe, just under a week in the Sierra going over Kearsarge, a two-nighter along the Rogue River Trail and a three-nighter in the Strawberry Wilderness, an overnighter in the Mojave Desert, a two-nighter in the Trinity Alps and then a week in the Winds. Starting off 2019 with a three-nighter in Joshua Tree mid January.

#202282 - 12/09/18 10:09 PM Re: How much did you get out this year? [Re: HPD]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
This was my summer for the Wind Rivers with Sierra trips in early summer and fall. Life did get in the way of the plans, with my 99 year old mother ending up in the hospital, lots of last minute babysitting grandchildren and home remodeling projects.

Total: 48 days on backpacks, 4 on day hikes while on trailer trips. Four trips were in the Sierra, each 4-5 days and four in the Wind Rivers, ranging from 7-9 days. My husband helped out with transportation on two trips, allowing three one-way routes. Two 4-5 day "trailer trips" and fishing were squeezed between backpack trips.

Luckily, going to the Wind Rivers this summer avoided all the smoke that plagued the Sierra. Although, the Wind Rivers also got some fires late season, after I left.

This year I did better at staying in shape with daily 5-mile dog walks in town and down on the American River.

#202284 - 12/10/18 06:16 AM Re: How much did you get out this year? [Re: HPD]
Matt Miller Offline

Loc: Dallas, GA, United States
It was a busy year with my studies and all.Just went once to Spring Creek Forest with friends.

#202287 - 12/10/18 07:11 AM Re: How much did you get out this year? [Re: Matt Miller]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I get out quite a lot. A total of 16 different trips, mostly weekends, which combined for 53 days and 37 nights. The longest was an 11 day trip.

#202288 - 12/10/18 07:12 AM Re: How much did you get out this year? [Re: wandering_daisy]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I spent just under two weeks in the Winds the summer of 2017. Great time.

#202314 - 12/22/18 01:13 PM Re: How much did you get out this year? [Re: DTape]
Bonthoorm Offline

Nothing much happened this year. A little upset (

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum