Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#202063 - 11/01/18 10:18 PM It’s deja vu all over again
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Let’s see what this turns up: What place (or hike) have you not done in a fairly long while that you’d like to do again?

For me, it’s the southern part of Shenandoah National Park, along the AT - the part that hasn’t been “improved.” In particular, I remember a campsite beside a small waterfall - or at least I think I remember it. Probably been 15 years since I’’ve been there.

#202065 - 11/02/18 09:58 AM Re: It’s deja vu all over again [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
There is a wonderful loop in the Grand Canyon that I haven’t done in in about ten years. It starts at Hermit’s Rest and descends the Boucher Trail to Boucher Camp for the first night. The next day is from Boucher Camp to Monument Creek on the Tonto Trail crossing Hermit Creek enroute. The following day is from Monument Creek to Horn Creek still on the Tonto Trail. You cross Salt Creek and Cedar Creek and traverse “The Inferno” on this stretch. Horn Creek is a lovely place to camp. The next day is back to the rim on the Tonto and Bright Angel trails by way of Indian Gardens. I’m thinking about a repeat this coming spring if the fates allow.

#202069 - 11/02/18 03:51 PM Re: It’s deja vu all over again [Re: Pika]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I always wanted to repeat the route in Washington's Glacier Peak Wilderness that I did with a small group in the mid-1970s. It's the Spider Meadow/Image Lake/Buck Creek Pass route. Parts of it have been closed due to fire the past few years. Now I'm too old for it, since it's a pretty rugged route.

I also wanted to repeat the route I did with my parents at age 9 in Wyoming's Wind Rivers, and I did do part of that!

#202071 - 11/03/18 05:44 AM Re: It’s deja vu all over again [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Maybe all of them. I'd like to do the loop around the Three Sisters here in Oregon again. I did it with a friend maybe 12-14 years ago. We only had four and a half days, so that's what we did, but a week would be better.

There are hikes in the Wallowas, Strawberry Mountain (both Eastern Oregon) and the Upper Enchantments in WA that come to mind, also, but the real jewel in my memory is my one trip to the Sierras in 1980.

We went in at Taboose Pass (tough trail with a way-too-heavy pack, about 50 pounds), then down to the Kings River, along the PCT/John Muir trail over Mather Pass, down to Palisades Lakes. Then cross country to Amphitheater lake (I think we found part of the old JMT partway there). Then we climbed out of Amphitheater lake (slightly scary for me) and over to Dumbell Lakes. Next to Lake Basin, over Cartridge Pass, across the river a few times, back up to Taboose pass and out. I think we spend 9 days, every moment surrounded by breathtaking scenery. I don't know how I'd fare these days, but with lighter gear...maybe.

#202072 - 11/04/18 01:06 AM Re: It’s deja vu all over again [Re: Glenn Roberts]
bobito9 Offline

Well, I'm with Bill on that question: all of them (or at least most) smile
However, what has been going through my mind lately is to repeat the trip I did way back in 1985, traveling alone hitchhiking and backpacking. That was the trip that really gave me my passion for backpacking <3 It is special to me because I was so young and innocent and bright-eyed at the time.
I began backpacking in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park in California, then on to the Queen Charlotte Islands in BC, Chilkoot Trail in Alaska, Kluane Nat'l Park in the Yukon, Banff, Yellowstone, Hawn State Park in Missouri, and finally, a wonderful long trip in the Ventana Wilderness in Big Sur.
I knew so little about backpacking and my gear was so crappy! I must have had an angel on my shoulder because I was blessed with abnormally good dry weather on the trails and many wonderful people who picked me up hitchhiking for something like 7000 miles. I think I need to do this again soon (well, minus the hitchhiking, I'm kind of old for that smile

#202076 - 11/04/18 03:29 PM Re: It’s deja vu all over again [Re: bobito9]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
There is that old saying, "you can never go back home again". I really believe this. Most repeat trips I have done seemed less wonderful, probably because you can never repeat that "first time" exploration experience nor the mental state you were in at that time. I prefer to always do new routes and explore new mountain ranges.

#202078 - 11/05/18 11:09 AM Re: It’s deja vu all over again [Re: Glenn Roberts]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
My first ever memory of hiking, I was only a toddler, my family and I went on a day hike in what I believe was the Colorado front range. We were up on a low ridge or bald, the trail was easy, the weather was perfect, and the wildflowers were in bloom. I would really love to find that place again, but unfortunately, the location is probably lost to memory. The only one who could possible tell me would be my dad, but I doubt he remembers. And, I don't blame him; how can you expect someone to remember one day hike from so long ago in a life full of memories.

Another one, the only time I've been to the Grand Canyon: Back in college, some friends and I were dropped off in Grand Canyon Village and told to be back in 1 hour. We used our time to hike part way down Bright Angel Trail. We always said we would go back and hike all to way to the bottom at some point (we didn't know to call it Indian Garden at the time). Well, I can't remember the exact year this was, but it's been almost, if not more than, 20 years now. Our group has moved apart, started families, careers, mortgages... I don't think it will ever happen. All the same, I'd like to go back with or without them.

#202079 - 11/05/18 02:32 PM Re: It’s deja vu all over again [Re: Glenn Roberts]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
Decades ago (don't remember the exact year) in my Army days I was training in England on TDY. We got a three-day weekend off at the end of the exercise and before we returned to the States, so two buddies and I did a 2-nighter on the Thames Walk (I think it's called that). Was a hoot, I'd love to go back and do it again some day.

#202080 - 11/05/18 03:11 PM Re: It’s deja vu all over again [Re: Glenn Roberts]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
The reality is that issues in my personal life are unlikely to allow me to roam very far or very long, confining me to backpacks within a couple hundred miles of home, but if I'm allowed to lay aside reality for a bit, I'd revisit Banff Park and hike up to Pulsatilla Pass again.

When I was there in the late 1970s it was so remote that I was able to approach pikas, who ignored me as they busily harvested grasses twenty feet away. I had several ptarmigans blithely wander into my campsite, and a local herd of about 15 bighorn sheep -- who knew enough to run away from me, unlike the pikas and ptarmigans. I never saw another soul while I was camped there for three days.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 292 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum