Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#201947 - 10/17/18 12:53 PM Members
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
In another thread it was a mentioned of female members so I took a quick glance at the member list. It is surprising how many members have not been active in years. I am not advocating removing them because they may be watching posts on a regular basis but not actually contributing but I do find it interesting.

#201949 - 10/17/18 03:43 PM Re: Members [Re: GrumpyGord]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Yes, we've lost a lot in the last few years. I'm still here, and grateful for friends on this site. Time, for me, though is running out. Where are the younger ones?

Edited by OregonMouse (10/17/18 03:44 PM)

#201950 - 10/17/18 04:02 PM Re: Members [Re: OregonMouse]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I think that younger hikers, like most young people, are more attuned to sites with less text and more video.

YouTube videos of hikers chatting about various hiking topics are very popular now. You can look, listen and learn with little effort, but a video can only show one point of view at a time, as opposed to these forums, where half a dozen very experienced hikers from many places can provide different perspectives and converse about a topic in depth. The drawback is that you must read and follow a full thread, which might develop over a week or two to get all the information presented.

#201951 - 10/17/18 11:50 PM Re: Members [Re: aimless]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
I think another potential issue for younger hikers is the forum software. Many younger people access the internet from their phones more than their computers, and this site is not set up for viewing on smaller phone screens (far too much side-to-side scrolling necessary) - only larger computer screens. If someone who spends most of their time on their phone comes to this site from their phone, they probably won't be back. FWIW.

#201953 - 10/18/18 06:08 AM Re: Members [Re: JustWalking]

Some day the young group will be old like us and will not be able to see those little phone screens.

My original point was that there are a lot of members who have not been active for 10+ years. I am not sure that age is the determining factor. I started looking because I was wonder about the male/female ratio but that is hard to determine when many are using screen names.

Like on most of these type of forums there are a small number of members doing most of the posting. On this forum there are probably 50 members doing 90% of the posting. That is not bad but typical.

#201956 - 10/18/18 02:13 PM Re: Members [Re: GrumpyGord]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I just looked at the user list. I noticed a number of folks who were frequent contributors some years back but have disappeared and are missed. I'm thinking of phat, midnightsun, ringtail, sarbar and others. (I at least do know how and what sarbar is doing!) Of those of us who went on the TLB Columbia Gorge backpack some years back, I'm the only one left on this forum, except for Jimshaw who is no longer active but still drops in to say hello a couple times a year.

Although I'm not a smartphone user (as Gord mentioned, we older folks can't cope with the small screen), I do agree that having smartphone-compatible forum software is important. My children (ages 48 - 59, so no longer young) and my grandchildren (except for #7, who's only 4 months old) are wedded to their phones! I suspect this may be why we've lost some of our younger members who were here for several years and then dropped out.

Whether such software would be feasible for packlite from a cost standpoint is another question.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/18/18 02:19 PM)

#202007 - 10/23/18 09:22 PM Re: Members [Re: GrumpyGord]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I'm still here, have a look a couple times a week, sometimes respond to a post. The forum has changed. When I started way back when, this forum was more about ultralight backpacking. Not so much now, but I still like it.

#202009 - 10/23/18 10:37 PM Re: Members [Re: Dryer]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Could it be that what used to be “ultralight backpacking” is now just “backpacking”?

Over the last few years, I’ve seen the packs that beginners bring on our how-to trips shrink dramatically. I think at least some of it is due to the fact that what used to be ultralight gear (one-person tents, canister stoves, and 2-3 pound packs, for example) is now mainstream gear. (Of course, some of the shrink is also the excellent pre-trip advice about what to bring that they get from, ahem, their leaders...)

#202014 - 10/24/18 12:12 PM Re: Members [Re: GrumpyGord]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
One reason may be there are now more area-specific backpacking forums. I primarily post on High Sierra Topix. It just got too cumbersome to post on two forums. I still post here occasionally because I would like to see this forum continue. When I look and see most posts are a week or more old, I tend to loose interest.

I prefer HST because it is much more active and more trip report oriented than gear oriented. That is just me. Nothing wrong with a gear-oriented forum as long as it stays active. HST also includes great databases where everyone adds descriptions of off-trail mountain passes. Over the years, this data has become a very valuable resource for trip planning. We have some VERY tech-savy and active moderators- their knowledge is WAY over my head.

#202034 - 10/25/18 06:06 PM Re: Members [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Dryer Offline

I don't think so. I wander through an REI and still see all the same heavy stuff, lots of useless gear, etc. Things have gotten a tiny bit lighter, but nowhere near as light as what I carry.
To me, "ultralight" means more of a Ray Jardine vibe. Trim off tags, ditch pointless straps, trail runners instead of boots, quilts, tarps, no zippers, and the like, with much more DIY stuff.

#202035 - 10/25/18 08:01 PM Re: Members [Re: Dryer]

If you want to see some interesting gear take a look at some of the local Facebook groups. I swear some of these folks must be lugging 75 pounds on an overnight trip.

Actually I think that a lot of the backpacking discussion has moved to Facebook at least for the younger folks. Much more instant gratification. A lot of them apparently are connected to Facebook 24/7.

#202036 - 10/26/18 11:14 AM Re: Members [Re: Dryer]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Wandering through REI is no longer relevant to what I see on the trail. REI carries standard brand gear, and the lighter models (light but not UL) are still available at REI, but on their internet site. What you see in the store is not a good sample of what is available.
It has been a while since REI marketed to the serious backpacking people. It is all about $$; profits and what sells the best. The UL backpackers have primarily gone to the cottage industry internet sales.

A lot of people simply cannot afford UL gear given that they may only backpack once or twice a year. I think it is great that they still go out, even with that heavy gear. The UL market is really a tiny part of the whole outdoor market.I would say that 90% of what is bought at REI never hits the trail.

Seriously, I think if the moderators would put in a few short words so that the most recent posts are not so old, it may help.

By the way, I personally do not want to be UL. I have gone lighter, deleted stuff, added some back, and have come to a good compromise that suits me. There are some UL items I would love to have, but even though I could afford it, I simply will not pay that much. $800 for a single person tent? No way. Hundreds of dollars for a pound less is not worth it to me.

I do see the more affluent younger backpackers willing to pay a lot for the latest, new trendy stuff, including $800 tents and very fashionable clothing.

#202054 - 10/31/18 06:43 PM Re: Members [Re: wandering_daisy]
Dryer Offline

I always found UL to be far cheaper! I've made most of my gear for a fraction of retail or standard gear. My shoes are standard trail runners, not expensive boots. My trekking poles are re-tasked ski poles and guaranteed not to collapse on downhills....$3 garage sale.
Some companies, like GoLite (GoGone!) jumped on the UL craze and tried to make big profits but it just didn't go well.
Weight is always my first concern on treks which makes me think more about double duty and efficiency.
DIY is a big part of the fun!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum