Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#201901 - 10/11/18 05:00 AM Down Jacket Question
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
It appears I may have a little money to spend on gear soon, and I've been looking at lightweight down jackets. I have several, but I want one with a hood, and I'm not very confident of my ability to add a hood to an existing jacket. I've been looking at the MH Ghost Whisperer and the Montbell Superior Down Parka.

Which brings me to my question. I notice the newer lightweight down jackets have the sewn-through seams spaced very closely together. It seems as though that would make it much less wind resistant. Is it just a style thing, or am I missing something?

#201903 - 10/11/18 06:09 AM Re: Down Jacket Question [Re: Bill Kennedy]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
Since the YUPPIES took over most of the outdoor clothing manufactures have catered to them. They are a much larger market than the outdoor folk and they replace their clothing much more often than the outdoor folk. Most of my backpacking clothes is years old and looks like a homeless person. Example: North Face is fashion, not function.

#201904 - 10/11/18 10:39 AM Re: Down Jacket Question [Re: GrumpyGord]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Or is it that you don't want to be seen in the same clothes as those people you disdain on the street? What experience have you had with recent TNF clothing that failed?

My experience is that the newer equipment is often lighter than the older stuff...and I worry about it lasting. But I also enjoy the fact that I can carry a much lighter pack today than I did 25 years ago. And I have not had any of my newer equipment fail on me....

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#201906 - 10/11/18 01:39 PM Re: Down Jacket Question [Re: balzaccom]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I tend to fall in to the group that wouldn’t take the new North Face stuff on the trail. I do have to admit that a lot of that feeling is because I remember when TNF was what we all aspired to own: great tents, outstanding backpacks (Dana Design was the only one in their league), and sleeping bags (revered in the way we feel about Western Mountaineering today.)

Then they quite making gear and the clothing side sold out to the college-campus, outdoorsy-look wannabes fashion trend, and for quite a while, their stuff was junk - lots of cotton, fashion-first design that looked great. I’ve heard they’re getting better.

Eventually, they re-entered the outdoor gear market, and tried to step up their clothing game. I had a friend who bought one of their half-a-rainfly tents; it failed miserably in the first night of showers. I talked to people who found their backpacks uncomfortable, and their sleeping bag ratings optimistic (to put it mildly.) I’ve heard they’ve gotten better.

My own clothing evaluation is that they’re now offering items that are built to take outdoors, but that are missing details. I’ve seen “down” (mostly duck) vests that don’t have elastic armholes and that use snaps instead of zippers, and sweater/jackets with no adjustment to tighten the hood around your face.

Can you make their stuff work? Probably, and in fair weather it may work great. I’m still not confident enough that I’d take it on a trip where I had to rely on it. They do seem to be getting better, though. (For what it’s worth, I feel the same about Eddie Bauer, Columbia, and LL Bean. Eddie Bauer is totally fashion; Columbia is great if you ski, not so much backpacking; LL Bean is good stuff, but heavy and mostly for car-camping.)

I still keep looking at what they offer; it’s just not what it used to be (and you might be well-advised to ignore that particular bias.)

#201907 - 10/11/18 01:45 PM Re: Down Jacket Question [Re: Bill Kennedy]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I would feel that it would, too. Having said that, I’m not sure it matters; in fact, the last jacket I bought (OR Transcendant Hoody) had the narrow baffles. I notice that the 2019 version of that jacket has baffles that are about twice as wide.

So why don’t I think the wind proof-ness of the down garment matters? Because, if it’s windy, I layer my Pertex rain jacket over it as a windbreaker - eliminating any potential problems with the insulated jacket.

#201908 - 10/11/18 02:34 PM Re: Down Jacket Question [Re: Bill Kennedy]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
I'm a fan of the Montbell Superior Down Parka (I own one and have taken it on a number of trips this year). Not such a fan of the MH Ghost Whisperer (had one a couple of years ago, got rid of it pretty quickly). FWIW.

#201911 - 10/11/18 03:17 PM Re: Down Jacket Question [Re: JustWalking]
Bill Kennedy Offline

I have the Montbell "down inner" which I think was the precursor of the Superior Parka. If it had a hood, I wouldn't even be looking, and it's certainly less expensive than the Ghost Whisperer.

What didn't you like about the Ghost Whisperer?

I've been following Dixie on the CDT (Homemade Wanderlust channel on YouTube) and I've noticed that she's been using the Ghost Whisperer all along, sometimes hiking in it and sleeping in it, and it's held up well. I think she used the same one on the PCT, which certainly speaks well for it's durability despite the very light fabric. I'm kind of impressed that apparently the water-resistant down treatment works.

Edited by Bill Kennedy (10/11/18 03:50 PM)

#201912 - 10/11/18 03:28 PM Re: Down Jacket Question [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Bill Kennedy Offline

#201917 - 10/11/18 10:45 PM Re: Down Jacket Question [Re: Bill Kennedy]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
As I recall someone did some fairly careful measuring of various sewn-through down jacket configurations and did NOT find that the increased number of quilt panels changed anything. Quite a surprise and that is why I remember it. Probably the Backpackinglite.com site. They tend to be somewhat scientific or at least are careful about measuring things and reporting results. All that being said; i purchased a "My Trail" 800 fill power hooded down jacket to replace one I lost on the trail. I had done lots of research and it was a very high quality jacket at a reasonable price. I am stoked about it and carry it always in my pack (14 ounces). I wrote a review for MyTrail but don't know if it was ever posted. it turned out PERFECT for me replacing he one I lost.
https://mytrailco.com/collections/mens-down-jackets/products/down-ul-hooded-jacket-ms

#204702 - 08/23/20 07:03 PM Re: Down Jacket Question [Re: Bill Kennedy]
a_gunslinger Offline

I struggled finding a warmth to $ jacket as well. Liked the Rab, but built for skinny twig people and costly. After tryign several, and able to bring myself to pay that much cash for a Ghost Whisperer, etc, I chose the Montane Icarus.

I run warm anyway so this and a wicking long sleeve and Im good.

Edited by Glenn Roberts (08/24/20 03:04 AM)
Edit Reason: Remove commercial link

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum