Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#201477 - 08/01/18 08:54 AM Altitude and compass
Billy02 Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX, USA.
I would like to know will a compass be effected by altitude or it does not matter? thanks

Edited by aimless (08/01/18 02:56 PM)
Edit Reason: removed link to commercial site

#201479 - 08/01/18 02:56 PM Re: Altitude and compass [Re: Billy02]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
elevation has no effect on a compass

#201481 - 08/01/18 08:10 PM Re: Altitude and compass [Re: Billy02]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
You may be confusing a compass (which points to the earth's magnetic poles) with an altimeter, which measures altitude. They are two different instruments.

A compass, because it depends on the earth's magnetic field, is not affected by anything unless there is a large power source or large mass of metal nearby.

An altimeter actually measures air pressure, which of course varies with altitude. The altimeter needs to be adjusted to actual altitude (as found on a topographic map) frequently because the weather, as well as the altitude, affects air pressure. The standard saying is, if your altimeter shows that your campsite has lost considerable elevation overnight, a storm is on the way.

The problems with air pressure for an altimeter are why most people now rely on a GPS for altitude measurement. I understand that the GPS isn't 100% accurate, either.

#201643 - 09/03/18 12:28 PM Re: Altitude and compass [Re: OregonMouse]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Someone just told me this summer, that magnetic declinations are shifting quite a bit. If you have an older paper USGS map, say pre-1970's, the declination shown on the map may be incorrect. Probably best to "google" the most current declination for your trips.

#201646 - 09/03/18 05:13 PM Re: Altitude and compass [Re: wandering_daisy]

Thanks for the reminder, W_D! Many of us who are older are still using older topo maps! The topographic features (other than roads and trails) may not change, and may even be less accurate on newer maps, so why buy new ones? The magnetic declination may have changed considerably. though.

Per this reference:

Quote:
The magnetic declination in a given area will change slowly over time, possibly as much as 2-25 degrees every hundred years or so, depending upon how far from the magnetic poles it is. Complex fluid motion in the outer core of the Earth (the molten metallic region that lies from 2800 to 5000 km below the Earth's surface) causes the magnetic field to change slowly with time. This change is known as secular variation. Because of secular variation, declination values shown on old topographic, marine and aeronautical charts need to be updated if they are to be used without large errors. Unfortunately, the annual change corrections given on most of these maps cannot be applied reliably if the maps are more than a few years old since the secular variation also changes with time in an unpredictable manner.

It's easy enough to search online before a trip for the current declination and pencil it in on our older maps if it has changed. That should be part of our pre-trip planning routine.

Edited by OregonMouse (09/03/18 05:19 PM)

#201830 - 09/30/18 08:14 PM Re: Altitude and compass [Re: OregonMouse]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
Yes. I find I can get topo maps on MyTopo.com free and use them often. I "photoshop" out the unnecessary areas, figure out the scale and send a digital copy to my friends who are also going to be on the trip. Even if you have a GPS (I sometimes do take mine) with a map application; I like to locate my self on a larger map so I can see the relative position, distances and such. The GPS map is too small, even though i know I can zoom in and out. Besides you can write notes on the topo map and save them for next time. Perhaps just an old habit, but I don't need no stink'n GPS.

Edited by Jim M (09/30/18 08:16 PM)

#201835 - 10/01/18 01:08 PM Re: Altitude and compass [Re: Jim M]
Lonerock Offline

Loc: Southern Oregon
I still have some of my old topo maps and yes, topography doesn't change but roads, trails and other featues do. Driving several miles to find out the access road you were going to take is now overgrown and abandoned can be a real bummer. Downloading current maps onto a device (gps,phone,tablet etc) can save a lot of time and frustration plus provides some additional safety. The national forest where I live is divided up into districts and each district has their own map with current info plus elevation contour lines. You can puchase the paper version or download the exact same map in pdf form at about the same cost through the Avenza App. Avenza also has topo maps that can be downloaded, many of which are free.

#201838 - 10/01/18 03:02 PM Re: Altitude and compass [Re: Lonerock]

I've never relied on topo maps as road maps. I've found that even the newer ones often label as roads those which have been abandoned or at least no longer are safe for lower-clearance vehicles. I use either Forest Service maps or (more often) the latest Benchmark atlas. A call to the appropriate USFS ranger station just before the trip is also a good idea, especially in this era of frequent forest fires and weather effects such as washouts, etc.

For example, in SW Washington, many of the USFS roads are labeled by name instead of number. Somewhere just south of the latitude of Mt. St. Helens, only names are used. Only the Benchmark Atlas has both names and numbers!

The road maps, of course, stay in my vehicle.

#201856 - 10/03/18 02:19 PM Re: Altitude and compass [Re: OregonMouse]
Lonerock Offline

Do they have Forest Service district maps for your area or the places in SW Washington? I have friends in Washington and would like to do more hiking there.I'm not sure how many National.Forests have district maps available like they do for my area. They're really nice detailed maps with contours and current roads and landmarks info but I know that some areas, like in Northern California don't have them. I have downloaded all of the district maps for my forest plus adjacent Forest Vistors maps for national forests that don't have districts. I've also downloaded OpenStreetMaps which have fairly detailed info, including contours,for the entire state of Oregon,California,Washington and Nevada so at least I'm somewhat covered no matter where I go. For hikes in Oregon I like William Sullivans books for hiking/backpacking suggestions.

#201857 - 10/03/18 04:07 PM Re: Altitude and compass [Re: Lonerock]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
I use Green Trails maps almost exclusively for backpacking in Washington. Not the online ones, the paper ones. Best maps I've found for Washington.

#201860 - 10/03/18 08:22 PM Re: Altitude and compass [Re: JustWalking]
Lonerock Offline

Thanks. Maps look nice but a little spendy for the coverage I need.

#202851 - 04/07/19 07:09 PM Re: Altitude and compass [Re: Billy02]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
The simple answer is yes and no. The compass is just a magnet that points to the strongest magnetic lines on it. Those lines can and do shift due to many things including large mountain masses, mountain tops, solar flares, not to mention that currently the Earths magnetic field is currently flipping.

During the flip we will not be protected by the Earths collapsing magnetospere and large solar outbursts could fry us of our electronics. Yes the GPS would die, but the compasses would still basically point into the magnetic field such as it is.

So NO it doesn't matter to you.

#204128 - 03/05/20 08:10 PM Re: Altitude and compass [Re: Lonerock]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
Lonerock
You are right the elevation doesn't change much over time on topo maps. There is a mountain, you may have heard of it, near here called Mt. Saint Helens. I have noticed subtle changes in the topography since 1980. And Beckey has the altitude as 9677 feet which is absolutely wrong.

#204134 - 03/07/20 01:05 PM Re: Altitude and compass [Re: Jim M]
Lonerock Offline

All maps contain some errors, especially topos when it come to roads as noted above. Elevation changes are rare - not a lot of active volcanoes in U.S. Always best to download the most current maps available since paper maps can be outdated rather quickly. Some of the National Forest maps in my area haven't been updated since the early 1990s.

#204339 - 04/25/20 02:09 AM Re: Altitude and compass [Re: Billy02]
Terrakion Offline

Loc: NL, Haarlem
You may be surprised, but the astronauts are also asking this question. This video shows a compass functioning on the ISS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g6y65GrkQE (timelapse). As you can see, a compass will still function well above the Earth's atmosphere. This is because the magnetosphere extends far into space.
And as was mentioned above, there could be another thing - altimeter. For example, altimeter watches help to determine your location as well as a compass.
Anyway, even if compasses are not affected by altitude, they may be subject to other factors that may cause them to malfunction. One of the factors - a very budget model like my fathers' COSTIN (definitely garbage). Just pay a bit more but it will be a quality product.

~Kevin

Edited by packlite (04/25/20 09:26 AM)
Edit Reason: edited out link

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum