Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#201589 - 08/24/18 01:15 PM No-Cook Ramen. How Long to Soak?
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I found a number of references online to people re-hydrating instant ramen noodles by soaking in cold water and not cooking. What everyone failed to mention though, is how long to soak them. Has anyone tried this? How long before they were acceptably soft? Did they continue to soften into mush, even in cold water, or was the texture fairly stable?

#201590 - 08/24/18 02:34 PM Re: No-Cook Ramen. How Long to Soak? [Re: 4evrplan]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I’ve never tried cold-soak; I actually can’t imagine ramen tasting very good if not hot (same as oatmeal - can’t imagine eating it cold, except in a cookie.)

#201591 - 08/24/18 03:16 PM Re: No-Cook Ramen. How Long to Soak? [Re: 4evrplan]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Not a ramen fan myself, but the stuff is cheap enough that you could run experiments at home with small batches! I'm sure some readers here would like know the results!

Edited by OregonMouse (08/24/18 03:17 PM)

#201592 - 08/24/18 04:09 PM Re: No-Cook Ramen. How Long to Soak? [Re: OregonMouse]
4evrplan Offline

I'm not allowed to make it at home. My wife got deathly ill as a kid right after eating it. The illness was unrelated to the ramen, but she still can't even smell it without feeling nauseous.

So, I consider ramen a rare (and much loved) treat and only eat it when I'm camping.

...maybe in the back yard.

#201593 - 08/24/18 06:39 PM Re: No-Cook Ramen. How Long to Soak? [Re: 4evrplan]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I can relate--I very much dislike the stuff myself!

Maybe a solo overnight trip, devoted to ways of preparing ramen?

#201594 - 08/25/18 03:19 PM Re: No-Cook Ramen. How Long to Soak? [Re: 4evrplan]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I’m not much of a ramen fan anymore; just lost my taste for it I guess. But, back in the days when I was doing a lot of climbing I would just take the ramen block out of the wrapper and eat it dry with a water chaser. It isn’t like eating dried pasta, more like really crunchy potato chips; not too bad really. I don’t like thinking about cold, slimy, soaked ramen; sort of like soaked Fritos in my mind.

#201597 - 08/26/18 02:45 PM Re: No-Cook Ramen. How Long to Soak? [Re: Pika]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Yow! That sounds unappetizing...

We buy ramen at an Asian grocery store. They have an entire aisle dedicated to different types of ramen, from Indonesian and spicy Malaysian to Japanese and Korean. Wildly different flavors, styles, and even types of noodles. Great fun.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#201610 - 08/27/18 03:20 PM Re: No-Cook Ramen. How Long to Soak? [Re: 4evrplan]
professor Offline

Loc: Southern California
I have soaked the ramen for 30-40 minutes. I have made a pasta salad by putting the noodles in a quart zip lock freezer bag with some freeze dried vegetables. While hiking a added water to the bag about 30 or 40 minutes before a lunch break. When I stopped for lunch I poured off the water and added salad dressing from a packet. Worked well. Experiment at home. You could also add tuna. This idea came from a Boy Scout Leader training I attended years ago.

#201615 - 08/28/18 10:33 AM Re: No-Cook Ramen. How Long to Soak? [Re: professor]
4evrplan Offline

Sounds good.

#201640 - 08/31/18 08:04 PM Re: No-Cook Ramen. How Long to Soak? [Re: 4evrplan]
4evrplan Offline

I just tested this out. The noodles weren't ready at 5 or 10 minutes, but they were acceptably soft at 20 minutes. They absorbed 108 grams of water, which according to an online calculator I found, is 3.65 fluid ounces. They could have been a bit softer, so 4 ounces would probably be fine. I figure, if I want just noodles and not soup, I can add just the right amount of water in a bag with the noodles and knead it from time to time.

I also tried it with the seasoning packet, but since I had drained off the water, it was too salty. It would probably be fine with other added ingredients, maybe some dehydrated carrots, corn, celery, maybe even some tuna or chicken.

#201642 - 09/01/18 04:18 AM Re: No-Cook Ramen. How Long to Soak? [Re: 4evrplan]
PaHiker Offline

Loc: Western Pa, USA
Originally Posted By 4evrplan
I just tested this out. The noodles weren't ready at 5 or 10 minutes, but they were acceptably soft at 20 minutes. They absorbed 108 grams of water, which according to an online calculator I found, is 3.65 fluid ounces. They could have been a bit softer, so 4 ounces would probably be fine. I figure, if I want just noodles and not soup, I can add just the right amount of water in a bag with the noodles and knead it from time to time.

I also tried it with the seasoning packet, but since I had drained off the water, it was too salty. It would probably be fine with other added ingredients, maybe some dehydrated carrots, corn, celery, maybe even some tuna or chicken.

Yeah, the seasoning packet makes it way too salty. I usually add in foil packs of tuna, the ones with flavoring added, I find that filling and better tasting. Also, I started picking up flavor packets from fast food joints, like Taco Bell, Arby's, etc. Usually one packet is all that's needed to add flavor (and without all the salt).

#201666 - 09/06/18 06:27 PM Re: No-Cook Ramen. How Long to Soak? [Re: professor]
Sharbear Offline

Loc: MO
I really like the idea of adding tuna. I'm sure once you add dressing they will taste better than most think.

#201669 - 09/06/18 06:57 PM Re: No-Cook Ramen. How Long to Soak? [Re: Sharbear]
PaHiker Offline

Forget the sauces, they sell it with enough variety (garlic/lemon, siracha, jalapeño, etc.) that you can save the additional weight and just pick the taste you want.

#201672 - 09/07/18 09:14 PM Re: No-Cook Ramen. How Long to Soak? [Re: 4evrplan]
wildnfree Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Az
I've never tried to soak ramen noodles in cold water and I think that it doesn't taste good even going soft after 10-20 minutes.

#201680 - 09/10/18 03:17 PM Re: No-Cook Ramen. How Long to Soak? [Re: 4evrplan]
4evrplan Offline

I actually did this in the field over the weekend for dinner one night. I had cooked (canned), dehydrated corn and carrots in a bag, along with some celery flakes from the seasonings aisle. I put 7 ounces of water in the bag at approximately 2-3 hours before dinner. At 30 minutes before dinner, I added the ramen seasoning packet and the noodles. I broke up the noodles and kneaded it all around to mix and rehydrate faster. Last, I mixed in the tuna packet and ate it. Honestly, I really didn't care for the celery much with this particular mix. If I did it again, I'd probably leave it out. But, it was filling and good trail nutrition.

And, on a side note, I also made GORP + M&Ms for this trip, and man, did I ever over-estimate how much of that stuff I would eat! I came home with over half of it.

#201681 - 09/10/18 04:15 PM Re: No-Cook Ramen. How Long to Soak? [Re: 4evrplan]
PaHiker Offline

So, 1/2 hr works?

#201683 - 09/11/18 10:03 AM Re: No-Cook Ramen. How Long to Soak? [Re: PaHiker]
4evrplan Offline

It worked beautifully for the noodles, except that it probably could have used just a touch more water. They were ever so slightly al dente. When I tried it at home with more water (and then drained), they came out a better texture. I was up a mountain with no potable water except what I carried, so I didn't want to use any more than absolutely necessary. I suppose I could have used more and then drank off whatever didn't soak in, but that didn't sound very appetizing. Plus, if you put in your seasoning just before the noodles while there's still plenty of water and shake up the bag, it makes it easier to mix it in. If I was drinking off extra water, I would have to wait until after that to season it (or drink off some of the seasoning and have less for the food).

#202126 - 11/19/18 08:20 AM Re: No-Cook Ramen. How Long to Soak? [Re: 4evrplan]
tycruise Offline

I like the instant ramen bowls better.

#202187 - 11/29/18 02:00 AM Re: No-Cook Ramen. How Long to Soak? [Re: 4evrplan]
Matt Miller Offline

Loc: Dallas, GA, United States
Cold Ramen noodles seem very unappetizing. For me, Ramen is supposed to be hot- even kind of hurt your mouth a little too grin

#202188 - 11/29/18 10:12 AM Re: No-Cook Ramen. How Long to Soak? [Re: Matt Miller]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
They'll do that if you eat them dry!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#204279 - 04/20/20 07:13 AM Re: No-Cook Ramen. How Long to Soak? [Re: 4evrplan]
haan9953 Offline

I have found that 30 minutes is a good amount of time for the noodles to become fully soft. Sometimes I might wait up to an hour. The length of time can vary depending on the temperature of the water. If it is extremely cold, it will take longer than if it is lukewarm

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum