Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#201553 - 08/20/18 12:54 PM Hitting it Lucky
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
My nephew Daniel from Spain, his wife, and two of their friends had planned to visit us in California, and he had requested a camping trip to see Yosemite and, if possible a backpacking trip as well. The only challenge was that his schedule was a bit up in the air, and we couldn't count on specific dates. So no advance reservations. And this for the middle of August and the most popular national park in California. I had decided to solve the problem by organizing day trips from our cabin near Sonora to Yosemite, and then backpacking in the Emigrant Wilderness to the north, where there are no trail quotas and a group of five would not present a problem. And then the Ferguson and Donnell fires burst out of control...and I was left with very few options. Hmm.

When Daniel arrived in California we discussed the options and decided that we would have to play it by ear. And then the day before we were to head up to the cabin, Yosemite National Park announced that it would be opening to visitors again. "What the hell, "I thought. I took my shot.

The next morning, at 7 a.m., I logged onto recreation.gov and to my astonishment, I was able to get a campsite in the Lower Pines Campground in Yosemite for Saturday, the 18th of August. Amazing. As I congratulated myself for my good luck, it occurred to me that I might also be able to reserve a spot at the Tuolumne Meadows Campground as well. Sure enough, a few minutes later I had a spot for Thursday night at Tuolumne Meadows. Now all I needed was a first-come-first-served backpacking permit for five people on a Friday in the middle of August. Ahem. On Thursday we left the cabin in Sonora early, so we could get to the wilderness permit office before 11 a.m. But not all our plans went well. One of the kids wasn't feeling well, so we had to stop for a bit. And somehow the day seemed to drag on as we stopped at vista points, checked into the campground, bought lunch, etc. And I wasn't in that much of a hurry, because if we weren't feeling well, there was no point to taking a backpacking trip.

It wasn't until after two p.m. that we finally made it into the wilderness office, and by then I had pretty much decided that we were going to Saddlebag Lake, where there are no trail quotas, if they still wanted to go. But low and behold, the wilderness office was empty except for the rangers, and we were offered all sorts of options, from Lyell Canyon to Cathedral Lakes. Given that some of our group weren't feeling great, and an increase in elevation wasn't going to make things any better, I opted for the shorter (if steeper) hike to Cathedral Lakes for the five of us. We had now secured reserved campsites in Yosemite Valley and Tuolumne Meadows, and a wilderness permit for a group of five on a weekend in August within a couple of days of the trip. That will not happen again. We enjoyed the rest of the day in Tuolumne Meadows, hiking to the top of Pothole Dome, cooking our dinner, and enjoying a stroll out into Tuolumne Meadows at dusk. The best news of all is that the sky appeared almost smoke free-a good omen. And that continued throughout the trip. Even in Yosemite Valley, the smoke was not nearly so bad as we feared.

After what was the first night in a tent for some of my Spanish guests, we hit the trail around 9 a.m. and I was impressed with how well we all hiked. All of the kids are runners, and they were in far better shape than I am. I managed to keep up, and we found our way to a campsite on the far shore of Lower Cathedral Lake before lunchtime. We set up camp, filtered some water, ate lunch, and rested.

In the afternoon the three guys decided that we would hike up to the top of Mendicott Dome, and the two girls hit the beach to bathe and bask in the sun. Mendicott Dome is a great walk from Lower Cathedral, and we loved the 360 views from the top. After a ramen dinner in camp, we all wandered around the outlet of the lake, taking in the views and taking more photos than we could count. And then bedded down for a first night in the wilderness for them all. Best of all, we were all in wonderful spirits. What made this trip so much fun for me was that the kids (they were all under 35...so not really kids) not only pitched in and took over any task that I started in camp, but also were really vocal about how much they enjoyed every single thing about it, from the views to the hiking to the backpacking systems we'd evolved over the years. They were sold, and I was charmed when they took a Leave No Trace approach to the level of picking up the micro-trash from others as we hiked along the trail. I'd take these guys anywhere. The next day, we were up early, caught the gist of a simple wedding ceremony on the far side of the lake and applauded at the kiss, and hiked back out to le Vin Blanc. From there we drove down into the valley, checked out the visitors center and had lunch at the café. (Degnan's won't open until the 24th.)

In the afternoon we checked into our campsite and set up camp, then took a well-deserved rest and a rinse in the Merced River. For dinner we grabbed some salad fixings, some beer, and cheese and crackers from the store, and ate out at the El Capitan picnic area. That led us out into the Valley floor to catch that last of the light of the evening on El Capitan and Cathedral Rocks. Magic. And they were enchanted.

The next morning we broke camp early, climbed into the van, and drove to Tuolumne Grove to see the Sequoias. We got there early enough that there were very few people, and those that were there were quiet. It was lovely. By 10:30 we were back at the van, and had passed at least 100 chattering people on their way into the grove.

We drove home to Napa, feeling sensationally lucky that every single detail of this trip turned out perfectly. And they are all absolutely convinced that we should do it again...maybe next year!

The photos are here https://photos.app.goo.gl/84o3eB1Ec2gqBFd47

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#201554 - 08/20/18 02:56 PM Re: Hitting it Lucky [Re: balzaccom]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Great report! The stars certainly seemed to have aligned for you. Glad it worked out so well.

Somehow, I'm feeling the quiet call of California, as I have on and off for years. Yosemite especially seems to whisper "come to see me", and I haven't been there since before I was born.

#201556 - 08/20/18 05:41 PM Re: Hitting it Lucky [Re: balzaccom]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Great report - talk about the stars aligning!

Of course, this means that you’re probably only days away from a major appliance breakdown, a flat tire, or at least missing your favorite TV show’s season premiere. You’ve certainly used up your share of luck for the year! smile

I’m really glad everything worked out so well for you; everybody deserves that at least once.

#201558 - 08/20/18 06:58 PM Re: Hitting it Lucky [Re: balzaccom]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Sounds like a truly serendipitous trip! I'm sure the folks at Yosemite were glad to see you!

Be glad you're not up here in Portland where the smoke levels are currently "unhealthy for everyone," confining me to my air-conditioned bedroom. I should have stayed in California! (This per my daughter in Sonoma whom I visited last week.)

#201587 - 08/23/18 09:18 PM Re: Hitting it Lucky [Re: balzaccom]
wildnfree Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Az
Great report. I want to write a post about Yosemite campgrounds and may I use your pics?

#201588 - 08/24/18 10:38 AM Re: Hitting it Lucky [Re: wildnfree]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
As long as you credit each photo to backpackthesierra.com and note that they are copyrighted, you can use them for your report on Yosemite campgrounds. Please don't use them for other purposed without checking with us first.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum