Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#201495 - 08/05/18 01:22 AM Help for the beginning of many adventures!
Colt24 Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hello, my name is Colton and I am relatively new to the backpacking community and experience. I am looking to start my first journey in Colorado soon, as I begin my freshman year of college in September. I consider myself to be a great outdoorsman on paper, I spent two years on ski patrol, have an outdoor emergency care certification, have taken a few rock climbing/ outdoor survival courses and went on many four wheeling trips (and one backpacking trip) with my dad. He passed away in February and in the past few years he has been too sick to continue teaching me about the outdoors. I am not in the best shape of my life and am not an avid hiker, but I am seeking a 3-4 day challenge in the Colorado wilderness to broaden my experience and knowledge. Since my father passed away, I have inherited many 20-30 year old backpacking items which still serve their function and should suffice for my first trip - supplemented with a few more important newer items. I am, however, unable to decide on a location. I would like to take this trip semi-solo, with my dog as a companion. I would like to challenge my endurance and skills, but not put myself in a dangerous situation while also staying closer to the front range if possible. Currently, there are fire bans throughout Colorado and I have never camped without a fire nor do I particularly want to, but I'd do it if necessary. So, after that extensive introduction I was hoping to get some advice on skills/gear but especially on a great trail!

Edited by Colt24 (08/05/18 01:24 AM)

#201496 - 08/05/18 11:18 AM Re: Help for the beginning of many adventures! [Re: Colt24]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Hi Colt

Welcome to these boards and our community! I can't give you much advice on Colorado--that's far from home for me-- but I can give you some advice on your first solo trip.

If you've never done a backpacking trip on your own, your first trip should really be focused on getting comfortable with your gear. You'll need a small stove (I use a pocket rocket from MSR) and you want to make sure that everything else works well. This is that same as a new sailboat going on a "shakedown" cruise to get everything shipshape.

Even those of us with thousands of miles behind us still try out our gear before taking it on the trail, and a good goal for you would be a trip that allows you to bail out if thingd don't work the way you expect.

I'd suggest starting with a base camp style hike that gets you camping within an easy day's hike of the trailhead, but still let's you day hike to interesting places for a couple of days as well.

After you've done a hike like that and made sure all your gear is functional, you can tackle a more challenging hike in terms of miles and routes.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#201498 - 08/05/18 01:28 PM Re: Help for the beginning of many adventures! [Re: Colt24]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Unfortunately, the "new normal" of drier summers, longer fire seasons, and more vulnerable forests is that you can expect fire bans every summer. While I grew up with campfires, once i started using a stove I got along fine without a fire--just wore a little more insulation in the evenings--and discovered the stars! I have not had a campfire in the past 30 years (except when car camping with kids) and haven't missed it. Not having a fire actually saves a lot of time and effort that can be used for leisurely admiring the sunset and enjoying meteor showers..

The other part of the "new normal" is that you need to have a Plan B and perhaps a Plan C ready to switch to at the last minute for each trip, in case a fire breaks out at Plan A. It has happened to me several times.

As far as starting out with your gear, balzaccom has given you an excellent scenario and I recommend you follow it! The main skill to practice is keeping your insulation dry so you can stay warm. Car-camping in nasty weather (so you can bail out if you fail) is a good way to start this.

With the dog, work on obedience training, having him sleep in the tent (if he's crate trained, you should have no problem), and plan on keeping him on leash most of the time (out of consideration for other people and chasable wildlife) and on a tether when you're in camp to keep him out of your and your neighbors' food. Make sure you bury his poop, as you do your own. You'll of course have to avoid national parks, which are very anti-dog, but Rocky Mtn Natl Park is actually not the most scenic part of the Colorado Rockies anyway, so no big deal.

My Colorado days are long past (my last trip there was 10 years ago), so I can't recommend a specific spot. Some of the most popular places require advance permits and are rather overrun with people. On the other hand, for a beginner, being in a popular place is a good idea for your first few trips.

Do note that by late September/early October, winter arrives in the high country. Be prepared for snow, cold, and hunting season (wear plenty of blaze orange). The September/early October snows will melt off, but they may start sticking by mid-October.

Your college will undoubtedly have an outing club which will help you get started and continue into the cold season. In addition to downhill skiing/snowboarding, there's cross-country skiing and winter camping. And, hopefully, classes on avalanche safety.

Edited by OregonMouse (08/05/18 01:29 PM)

#201540 - 08/16/18 10:54 AM Re: Help for the beginning of many adventures! [Re: Colt24]
HPD Offline

Loc: Colorado High Plains
Hey Colton, welcome!!
Would love to help you out. Have a few questions for you first.

You said Front Range-Where are you?
I'm in Fort Collins so I might be able help you on location.

20-30 year old gear-What do you have, specifically.

Starting school in September-When do you want to go backpacking?

Bill

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum