Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#201427 - 07/20/18 02:09 PM Moshannon State Forest
maggiemae31 Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Hi there! I'm new to backpacking, in fact I actaully don't have a stitch of gear at this moment, but I feel compelled to go wonder the forest! I read Bill Bryson's book about hiking the AT and it really made me feel like that is something I need to try! I'd like to do like a 3/4 day hike to get my feet wet. I was wondering if anyone out there had any experience hiking in PA, specifically the Moshannon State Forest, but any info on westeren Pa backpacking would be more than helpful!

I would be planning to hike most likely in mid to late november and almost certainly by myself.

#201428 - 07/20/18 02:49 PM Re: Moshannon State Forest [Re: maggiemae31]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
You will certainly get your feet wet. November can be pretty darn cold and rainy. For someone just starting out, I would recommend three things:

1. Start with a date in the summer, when the weather is usually nice.

2. Before you take a hike with new equipment, set it all up (either in your backyard or in your living room!) to make sure you know that it works. This includes tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, stove, etc.

3. Now let's talk about equipment. What you take will depend on the weather you expect to meet, but you will want at least one version of the following:

A tent
A sleeping bag
A sleeping pad
A stove and a pot to cook in
Raingear and a hat
A first aid kit
Some clothes that you can layer on--better than one heavy jacket, for example.
Water filter, water bottles and bug spray.
a flashlight or headlamp...

There are lots of lists for this kind of thing--including some on this website, or on our website (in my signature line.)

You will not that I haven't mentioned a pack. That's because you should not buy your pack before you get the rest of this stuff---because you won't know how big a pack you will need. And the more backpacking you do, the smaller pack you will take---because carrying heavy loads is not a fun way to backpack...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#201429 - 07/20/18 07:13 PM Re: Moshannon State Forest [Re: maggiemae31]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I definitely agree with balzaccom--November is not the time! You'll not only have wet feet; you'll be wet all over and in serious danger of hypothermia. You need to hone your skills before venturing out alone, especially in bad weather.

Evidently not well-known to newcomers to this site is the excellent body of knowledge about gear and other aspects of backpacking on the home page of this site. (www.backpacking.net)

I particularly recommend the article on the "27-lb., 7-day gear list." A very similar list has worked fine for me for 3-season backpacking in the Cascades of the Pacific NW and in the Rocky Mountains. It might be a bit of overkill for insulating items in Pennsylvania summers.

I also strongly recommend lots of practice with your gear in the back yard (yours or a borrowed one) or car-camping in a nearby state park. While you're learning, it's a good idea to have somewhere dry and warm to retreat to when things go amiss, which they often do (that's how we learn!). Especially practice putting up and taking down the tent. You don't want to be trying to set up the tent for the first time on a dark and stormy night with flashlight in one hand and instructions in the other!

Your first trip or two really should be an overnighter in good weather, not too far from your car.

Probably the two most important skills to learn are navigation (compass and map reading and "translating" between the map and the terrain) and keeping your critical gear (insulation items) dry. The first can be practiced while day hiking or, if you're really unskilled, join an orientation club. The second should, again, be practiced for the first time or two in your back yard or while car-camping.

I remember day hiking in Black Moshannon State Park with three kids (10, 5 and 1) while pregnant with #4! (Hubby carried the 1-year-old and the 5 year old kept up just fine.) It is a beautiful area! That was a long time ago, so I don't have details.

Are you by any chance a Penn State student? If so, I'm sure they have an outing club where you can borrow gear and find company for trips!

Edited by OregonMouse (07/20/18 07:15 PM)

#201431 - 07/21/18 10:58 AM Re: Moshannon State Forest [Re: OregonMouse]
balzaccom Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse

Are you by any chance a Penn State student? If so, I'm sure they have an outing club where you can borrow gear and find company for trips!

OM, you may not have read the news. The Penn State Outing Club has been abolished by the school...

I love your notes about hiking with your young family. The first time I "hiked" to Velma Lakes in Tahoe I was just short of one year old...and I did the whole thing on my mom's hip. This was long before child carriers, and I am still amazed...I am sure I was not ultralight!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#201433 - 07/21/18 02:24 PM Re: Moshannon State Forest [Re: balzaccom]
OregonMouse Offline

Ooh, I did forget about the recent abolishing of the Penn State outing club. Evidently an outcome of the many lawsuits related to their football scandal.

I have heard, though, that there is an unofficial (i.e. not recognized by the university) group to replace it. Sort of a meet-up group.

As mentioned, It's probably not a good idea to start out as a beginner in Pennsylvania in November. At least when I lived there, November weather was normally on the nasty side. It's also hunting season, adding another significant hazard (and, as I recall, restrictions on non-hunting activities, at least on state game lands).

Balzaccom, my parents bought us the earliest version of the Gerry carrier back in 1960 for our first child (they got it through the Holubars who were friends and still working out of their basement in Boulder, CO where he was a math professor the university). It wasn't ideal, but it lasted until the youngest of our 4 kids was too old for it (or at least thought she was). It was ideal for shopping because I had both hands free. Unfortunately, the child had both hands free, too, resulting in my hair being pulled a lot!

Edited by OregonMouse (07/21/18 02:26 PM)

#201435 - 07/21/18 09:13 PM Re: Moshannon State Forest [Re: OregonMouse]
balzaccom Offline

Yeah--my "hike" up to Velma Lakes was in 1953...Mom's hip was all the carrier we had.

Edited by balzaccom (07/21/18 09:14 PM)

#201441 - 07/23/18 01:41 AM Re: Moshannon State Forest [Re: balzaccom]
maggiemae31 Offline

Thanks for your feedback! I'm thinking I will try to rent some stuff if there is a place close to where I hike before I drop a grand on equipment and find out that backpacking just isn't for me, though I doubt very much that will be the case. I'm hesitant to try it in the summer because I do not do well in the heat, and it's extremely hard for me to get time off from work in the summer.

#201442 - 07/23/18 01:45 AM Re: Moshannon State Forest [Re: OregonMouse]
maggiemae31 Offline

No, i'm not a Penn State student. I'm actually a park ranger at Prince Gallitzin State Park! If you've never been, it's pretty awesome! I did take a look at those packing lists. I am curious as to if a three season tent with a sleeping bag rated for like 0 degrees would be sufficient for colder weather? Or is it just a better idea to go for a 4 season tent? Any thoughts?

#201443 - 07/23/18 09:49 AM Re: Moshannon State Forest [Re: maggiemae31]
balzaccom Offline

IT all depends on the weather. three season tents general hold up to moderate winds and light snow. Four season tents are designed for higher wind speeds (they usually have more stakes and guylines) and will withstand heavier snows.

#201444 - 07/23/18 09:52 AM Re: Moshannon State Forest [Re: maggiemae31]
OregonMouse Offline

How about September or October? Before hunting season starts? At least do a few short overnighters, for practice. Do you get time off mid-week?

The four-season tent is for winter conditions (wind, deep snow), and I hope you're not going out in that!

I lived in Pennsylvania for five years in the late 1960s, and my two younger children were born there. We eventually ended up back out west (where we started from). I have fond memories of PA, though, although I prefer my mountains bigger and my summers less humid!

If you're a year around ranger, you at least know what conditions you'll encounter in November! As I mentioned earlier, practice keeping your insulating gear dry, at all costs!

#201468 - 07/29/18 10:09 PM Re: Moshannon State Forest [Re: maggiemae31]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
The Allegheny Front Trail is a great trail for a beginning backpacker. Not too difficult, some nice vistas (for the East coast), fairly well marked, about 42 miles. You'll definitely get your feet wet, so plan accordingly. I think it would be doable in November -- not much, if any, snow then as I recall, November is generally a bit too early for snow, as you know, but it'll be cold.

Pennsylvania has some good Meetup backpacking groups, I'd suggest joining one. Some REIs rent gear, but not all, so check those out as well.

I'd recommend starting with a few long dayhikes in October, early November though, to see what you need to wear/carry to remain comfortable, before venturing out overnight in cold weather.

I did a lot of backpacking in PA a few years ago when I lived on the East coast, wonderful trails, and plenty of them.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum