Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#201254 - 06/28/18 12:14 PM Quilt question
PaHiker Offline

Loc: Western Pa, USA
Making my first quilt. Considering the side that would go under me would compress to the point where it's basically offering no insulation, should I bother insulating?

My thought was that when the air just has a chill to it I might want just an uninsulated top cover, but to have an insulated part for when the temps drop even more. Basically thinking of early fall, late spring, when overnight temps can swing a good deal.

#201279 - 06/29/18 12:47 PM Re: Quilt question [Re: PaHiker]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
You are definitely correct that you don't need insulation under (except for your pad). But...the biggest issue with quilts is heat leaking around the sides as you shift in the night. I think you want some insulation near that interface. A bit of it may get compressed, but it could add some buffer as you shift in the night.

#201280 - 06/29/18 12:52 PM Re: Quilt question [Re: BZH]
PaHiker Offline

So, then, I would be looking at taking an extra non-insulated "quilt" during those months?

#201282 - 06/29/18 01:09 PM Re: Quilt question [Re: PaHiker]
BZH Offline

hmmm ...maybe I read your OP incorrectly... not sure I understand what you are asking.

During warm seasons were you may not need any insulation you can just bring a light fleece blanket. Of course you need to be careful you are not caught out with temperatures dipping lower than expected. For that reason, I typically bring my quilt anyway. If it is a bit too warm I will stick a leg or arm out. This is pretty similar to how I regulate my body temperature at home (where it rarely gets very cold at night smile ). Does that answer your question?

#201284 - 06/29/18 01:16 PM Re: Quilt question [Re: BZH]
PaHiker Offline

No, I am talking about the mid- spring and fall seasons. Around here (Allegheny Mtns) if I'm out for a week-long bp (or a long weekend) I could end up with nights where the insulated quilt is needed, followed by a night where I would just want a light covering to keep the chill off.

#201285 - 06/29/18 01:21 PM Re: Quilt question [Re: PaHiker]
BZH Offline

In those situations, I bring my quilt and stick appendages out until the amount of insulation matches my desires.

#201286 - 06/29/18 01:25 PM Re: Quilt question [Re: BZH]
PaHiker Offline

Hmm. interesting. Have to think about that. Thanks.

#201287 - 06/29/18 02:11 PM Re: Quilt question [Re: PaHiker]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
Depending on the temp variation, I'd bring a quilt for the mid point (say, if the temp variation was going to be 30-50, I'd bring a 40), and supplement as needed on the colder nights with a down jacket/thermal underwear/etc.

#201290 - 06/29/18 07:59 PM Re: Quilt question [Re: BZH]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
Originally Posted By BZH
You are definitely correct that you don't need insulation under (except for your pad). But...the biggest issue with quilts is heat leaking around the sides as you shift in the night. I think you want some insulation near that interface. A bit of it may get compressed, but it could add some buffer as you shift in the night.

I agree with this and, when you begin to use a quilt, you are going to have to find out what works for you. My main concern is my footbox and covering for my legs. I like to have enough extra to tuck in around my upper body and arms and around my neck. If I'm too warm, I can roll the top down. I usually wear a hooded shirt as part of my sleep suit and use that for insulation when the quilt is too warm.

#201291 - 06/29/18 08:18 PM Re: Quilt question [Re: wgiles]
PaHiker Offline

I've been going back-end-forth on the foot box thing. I have a camp quilt that I purchased from Campmor, not very insulated, good enough for chilly nights, but not when it starts getting cold. That's why I decided to make a lightly insulated quilt (Apex 3.6), this should take me from the 50's to the 30's with no problem.

The Campmor uses mating ties to close up the bottom and/or side, that way the foot box isn't permanent, so in the warmer temps I can keep it open. Problem is that there are open spots that might let the cold in when the temps drop. I've been tossing the idea of velcro (least favorite, it does wear out), plastic snaps, or a zipper (close the bottom and about a foot of the side).

#201292 - 06/30/18 03:26 AM Re: Quilt question [Re: PaHiker]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Ray Jardine's quilt kit contains what he calls a "draftstopper, " which I gather is just a strip of shell material along each side that can be tucked under to prevent drafts. Might be worth considering.

My experiments using a light sleeping bag as a quilt seem to indicate that it's maybe not for me. I always wound up zipping it closed before the night was over. Also, my bald head requires more insulation than a stocking cap.

It seems as though if you make the quilt wide enough to tuck very far under you, you've essentially made a sleeping bag and only saved the weight of the zipper and maybe the hood, although personally I would want the quilt long enough to pull up over my head.

I did make a prototype synthetic quilt similar to Ray Jardine's concept, using materials I had on hand (light nylon taffeta and a single layer of Climashield, which has since lost about half its loft.) I used Jardine's idea of sections of yarn to stabilize the insulation and incorporated his "gorget," which contours the quilt over the chest and shoulder area, a feature I would definitely use again if making another quilt. No footbox, just sewed the end closed and sewed up maybe 18" to make a pocket for my feet. Although I wouldn't use it backpacking except in the warmest climate, it's been very useful at home for taking a nap.

#201295 - 06/30/18 06:48 AM Re: Quilt question [Re: Bill Kennedy]
BZH Offline

I know the feeling of trying out a quilt and thinking, "this is going to be way to drafty." That is the first thought I had when I pulled my EE quilt out of the box. One key I found was snapping and cinching down on the neck. That pulled the quilt around me all the way down my sides to the foot box. Before cinching the neck it was in essence free flowing at the top and felt like a blanket that wasn't wide enough.

You definitely need enough material to tuck underneath you, so you don't get as much weight savings as you might think at first. But they do end up being lighter and less constricting than a normal sleeping bag.

#201296 - 06/30/18 08:27 AM Re: Quilt question [Re: BZH]
PaHiker Offline

Originally Posted By BZH
I know the feeling of trying out a quilt and thinking, "this is going to be way to drafty." That is the first thought I had when I pulled my EE quilt out of the box. One key I found was snapping and cinching down on the neck. That pulled the quilt around me all the way down my sides to the foot box. Before cinching the neck it was in essence free flowing at the top and felt like a blanket that wasn't wide enough.

You definitely need enough material to tuck underneath you, so you don't get as much weight savings as you might think at first. But they do end up being lighter and less constricting than a normal sleeping bag.

The material I have is all 60" wide (probably 58" after sewing). My thought is that after using it a while if it ends up being to wide (based on how I use it) I can always sew a new edge and cut off the excess.

Some designs show sewing it all together with the eventual outside on the inside (leaving one side open) then pulling it out through the opening and sewing the opening up. On my Campmor everything is just sewn as it will be used with an edge of 1-1/2" grosgrain to finish it off. Trying to decide which way to go, the latter is definitely easier, but then you have the extra weight of the grosgrain.

#201300 - 06/30/18 06:42 PM Re: Quilt question [Re: PaHiker]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I toss and turn so much that a quilt doesn't do the job. In fact, I have problems staying warm even at home on my bed because I end up half uncovered (why I sleep in hooded sweatshirts at home). Out in the western mountains, where nights get pretty cool (at times below freezing even in midsummer), I'll stick with my 20* sleeping bag. If the night starts out really warm, I may be on top of the bag, with the zipper undone. During the night I will migrate to inside the bag, zipper still open, but I usually end up zipping up that zipper about 2 am.

Of course, Pennsylvania summers are a different story!

Edited by OregonMouse (06/30/18 06:45 PM)

#201302 - 06/30/18 06:59 PM Re: Quilt question [Re: OregonMouse]
PaHiker Offline

Like Texas (hiked some there) Pa weather really depends on where you are. I live in what is call the Foothills of the Alleghenies, the difference in temps can be over 10° during the day, more at night, between the foothills and the tops of the mountains. North Central Pa is even more of a difference, and the temps can swing widely from one day to the next. The mountains really do make a difference when it comes to weather and temps.

I've done some hiking in Texas, mostly in the Guadalupe Mtns, very nice country. I was supposed to do some hiking/rafting/riding in Big Bend this year, but health got in the way...maybe next year?

#201315 - 07/01/18 03:22 PM Re: Quilt question [Re: PaHiker]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
I have made two quilts from Climashield 5.0. They are both about 80" long and are 60' wide at the top. They taper from 60" to about 45" at the bottom, if I remember correctly. The bottom has a drawstring to form the base of the footbox and the taper has Velcro close the bottom of the footbox. There is a tie strap at the end of the taper to keep from pulling the Velcro open. I find this arrangement quite comfortable and have used it down to around 50F. I am 6 Ft tall and large enough at the hips that I can't pull the zipper closed in a slim taper sleeping bag. I am a side sleeper and move around often at night. I made a Bivy bag that my sleeping pad and quilt fit into nicely and I am quite comfortable. The bivy keeps my sleeping pad and quilt under control, while allowing ventilation and freedom to move. For me, the biggest problem with this setup is bulk. Climashield 5.0 just doesn't compress well. I've got an old Gerry tapered down bag that is a bit too small for me, but works very nicely as a quilt when zipped about halfway. This gets me down to around freezing. I've got another quilt that I made from a Costco Packable Down Throw. These things were cheap and plentiful for a while and only weigh around a pound. They are sewn through construction and not the best for cold conditions. They make a great inner liner, though. At 60" X 70" they are a bit short, but plenty wide.

#202158 - 11/25/18 01:12 AM Re: Quilt question [Re: wgiles]
Bob Chiang Offline

Loc: New York, USA
Rather a late reply.

I've made two quilts and now use them more often than a sleeping bag unless it's below freezing. I think quilts are easier to use in a hammock since you don't have to worm yourself down into a bag from the top.

One is made with 3.6 ounce Apex insulation. I didn't stabilize the layers through the body of the quilt and it has survived several trips so far. I just sewed it around the perimeter with a stack of insulation, the liner, and outer fabric (both <1 ounce per square yard nylon) . Then turned it inside out, sewed a line of stitching around the perimeter, and finished the top edge with a drawstring tunnel. With clothes I might use it to down to about 40 degrees.

The second is a down filled quilt that I've used down to freezing and at altitude.

down quilt

Both have sewn foot boxes and are sewn closed maybe 18" from the bottom.

The draft stopper flaps sound like a good idea.

I sewed loops of ribbon into the side seams. I run a length of flat 1/4" elastic from side to side (kind of like shoe laces) through the loops with a toggle at the top. The elastic helps keep the sides tucked under me and the quilt snugged around me, minimizing air pockets.

I agree that a bivy bag helps manage the quilt and pad system, and helps to keep drafts out, but I more often sleep in a hammock or tent.

Have Fun,
-Bob

Edited by Bob Chiang (11/25/18 12:18 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum