Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200577 - 03/28/18 03:24 PM Food Selection or Reviews?
mogwai Offline

Loc: Texas
Thanks to the moderators for moving this to the correct forum.

Wife and I have done a few overnighters recently and are working up to a 3 night stay in Big Bend in September. We're still pretty inexperienced backpacking together though I have backpacked a few times in the past 10 years with friends. As such we've been using my trusty pocketrocket to prep hot meals, coffee and tea .

While no-cook meals during the day are fine, I'm wondering what other options there are for stove cooking instead of hauling 6 of these rather bulky, but tasty, options for our evenings (along with whiskey). Don't get me wrong, some of the meals have been surprisingly good and it's nice to lay down with a belly full of warm food...but...

What are you all doing for meals? Anyone have any favourite freeze-dried meals they'd like to share? Or maybe something you whip up on your own? Any thoughts on lightening to load by using options other than freeze dried meals?

Edited by mogwai (03/28/18 03:56 PM)

#200585 - 03/28/18 06:56 PM Re: Food Selection or Reviews? [Re: mogwai]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Do you have access to a food dehydrator. We all like different things. Some of my best trail suppers were one-dish meals that I enjoyed at home, cooked up with an extra serving or two for the dehydrator. Chili, spaghetti, Thai-style chicken or pork with noodles and vegetables (maybe Pad Thai), Teriyaki flavored ground meat and veggies with a little sauce to rehydrate with hot water and serve over rehydrated rice or ramen noodles. If you like it at home, you may like it on the trail. Dehydrate some, rehydrate the next week and see how things work.

#200593 - 03/29/18 09:05 AM Re: Food Selection or Reviews? [Re: CamperMom]
mogwai Offline

Loc: Texas
Don't have access to one yet but that certainly seems to be a recurring theme here. Should we continue hiking through year end, maybe that's a better, more affordable option.

The total cost is less I presume per meal when making your own.

Do you carry the meals in a ziplock then simply rehydrate in a bowl with warm water?

#200599 - 03/29/18 11:00 AM Re: Food Selection or Reviews? [Re: mogwai]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
MYO backcountry meals are very likely to cost far less than commercially prepared. Most of the latter may as well be restaurant (OK, diner) meals, considering the prices.

I'm a bit on the weird side. I package individual meals in cleaned mylar snack bags, air expressed or sucked out as much as possible, and sealed with a clothes iron. Been expounding on this one for at least 15 years. Mylar bags are lighter, plus more vapor and puncture resistant. I collected them from kids in the lunch room when I worked at a school. Now I just splurge on a club package of chips and save those bags. The air popped corn or baked chip bags are far easier to clean than their greasy cousins. These bags hold up to boiling water (just to cover the food) being dumped into them. I've even added the hot water and later decided that the food could use more cooking,then put the whole bag into my cook pot. One can always add a bit more water if needed, and I'm OK if my food is a little soupier than the original. By mealtime, I can use extra hydration however it comes.

See what works for you. Bulk packaging of staples may save weight and space on the trail as well as home. For shorter trips, though, individual meals that require licking and sanitizing my spoon as clean up are "da bomb."

#201085 - 06/04/18 03:49 PM Re: Food Selection or Reviews? [Re: mogwai]
troutstalker Offline

Loc: CO
Reddit has a good section for this called Trail Meals. Lots of ideas on there and good info

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum