Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200859 - 04/27/18 01:23 PM Lightweight daypack
Lonerock Offline

Loc: Southern Oregon
I currently have an Osprey Stratos 24 daypack that's several years old and weighs over 2 1/2 lbs. I'm looking for something lighter, hopefully around 1 1/2 lb. I want a pack with decent water bottle pockets . One of my big complaints with the Stratos 24 is that the bottles are hard to reach when wearing the pack so that it's simply easier to remove the pack to take them in and out.
I would like something around 20 L for short dayhikes thats comfortable and has at least a couple of compartments for organizing stuff.
I'm a male with about a 21 in torso
Would appreciate any suggestions.

#200861 - 04/27/18 03:59 PM Re: Lightweight daypack [Re: Lonerock]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I'm still looking for a lightweight day pack. I find it unpardonable that nearly all day packs weigh more than my overnight backpack!

Unfortunately, there are few daypacks made for short-torsoed (15") women like me. The very few daypacks made for women are all heavy. My hips and Osprey hip belts are incompatible, so that leaves out a big part of the daypack market.

I'm seriously considering a ULA CDT, assuming it can be squashed down enough. Kinda pricey, though.

#200862 - 04/27/18 05:17 PM Re: Lightweight daypack [Re: OregonMouse]
Lonerock Offline

Loc: Southern Oregon
I looked online at the Ula Cdt pack. The weight is not bad but the overall size of the 54L pack may be a bit bulky for day hikes. It would be nice to try it on but I'm not sure who carries it. If you are interested in it there might be someplace in Portland or Seattle. In Southern Oregon there's not many options. As far as the price, if you find something that really works for you then it would be worth it since it should last several years.
I don't have much in the way of hips so most backpacks with some weight in them tend to slide down unless I cinch the belt to the point where my intestines start screaming for help. With daypacks the issue isn't as bad but as noted in my previous post I almost have to dislocate my shoulder inorder to get the water bottle out of the pocket on most packs.

#200863 - 04/27/18 07:09 PM Re: Lightweight daypack [Re: Lonerock]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
If you happen to be in Portland, Next Adventure carries ULA packs. They appear to be the only ULA retailer in the Pacific NW, I have the same issues about size, though. I will probably continue to use my backpacking pack, which is about the same size but squishes down quite well.

#200864 - 04/27/18 11:24 PM Re: Lightweight daypack [Re: Lonerock]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
Have you considered something like this:

https://ultimatedirection.com/pb-adventure-vest-3-0/

Water bottle pocket is on the front strap, so no contortions to get it. It's only 16L, but I'd think that's enough for a day pack. This is a runner's pack, developed (I believe) by Peter Bakwin. Weighs less than 14 oz. If interested, there's someone (not me) selling one for $75.

#200884 - 05/03/18 10:24 PM Re: Lightweight daypack [Re: Lonerock]
Slowfoot Offline

Loc: Missouri
The HMG Daybreak might work but it's expensive.

#200887 - 05/04/18 08:30 AM Re: Lightweight daypack [Re: Lonerock]
Alf Offline

Loc: London, UK.
Originally Posted By Lonerock
I currently have an Osprey Stratos 24 daypack that's several years old and weighs over 2 1/2 lbs. I'm looking for something lighter, hopefully around 1 1/2 lb. I want a pack with decent water bottle pockets . One of my big complaints with the Stratos 24 is that the bottles are hard to reach when wearing the pack so that it's simply easier to remove the pack to take them in and out.
I would like something around 20 L for short dayhikes thats comfortable and has at least a couple of compartments for organizing stuff.
I'm a male with about a 21 in torso
Would appreciate any suggestions.

Have to been to the Mountain Hardware website? All of their "Outdry" packs are 100% waterproof, which means you won't have to carry a separate waterproof cover you, which is more convenient and saves weight. They are ruggedly built, but also quite lightweight too...Much lighter than most Osprey packs of the same capacity. I have the Scrambler RT35, which I find is perfect for solo weekend hiking and camping trips. It weighs under 1.8 lbs (less than 800 grams) empty. But as you seem to be looking for a smaller pack, somewhere between 20-25 litres capacity, I would suggest their new SummitRocket 20 VestPack. Yes, I know its not an outdry pack, so it's not guaranteed to be waterproof, but it is very light, at just 12oz (340 grams), and they specify that it is "Designed for easy accessibility without removing the pack."...which translates as you would have easy access to your water bottle. In fact, the bottle holder is on the shoulder harness, rather that behind you, on the sides of the pack body, as with most other packs, so access cannot get any easier! Although the price listed on their site is $120, in the UK you can buy it for just £64.99, which converts to a US price of just $88.15, nearly $32 cheaper than the price on their website, so if you shop around you will probably be able to find a cheaper stockist for it on your side of the pond too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgCd77MW3T4

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 154 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum