Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199489 - 11/13/17 10:36 AM Suggested Trails Texas / South OK
Aussie Campr Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi everyone,
I am wanting to take my son on a overnight backpack camping trip (We've done a heap of car camping trips) and was wondering if anyone could suggest some good trails / parks / forests I should look at.

We are based in Dallas and would look to do a 2 night hike trip.

I am looking at doing the trip in December to make it a little more adventurous, so a fire at night would be needed.

Any suggestions from anyone's past travels / trips ?

Cheers
Brendon

#199492 - 11/13/17 01:14 PM Re: Suggested Trails Texas / South OK [Re: Aussie Campr]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I've never hiked there, but I've read trip reports from Big Bend NP and the place looks pretty neat.

#199509 - 11/14/17 09:45 AM Re: Suggested Trails Texas / South OK [Re: BZH]
Aussie Campr Offline

Yeah we've done Big Bend - Stunning, it is a must do.

I was looking for something around Dallas/ Austin or Southern OK ( Broken Bow maybe ? )

Cheers
B

#199510 - 11/14/17 11:28 AM Re: Suggested Trails Texas / South OK [Re: Aussie Campr]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
There used to be a couple people from Texas on here, I am hoping they chime in soon. Sorry I couldn't be much help.

#199517 - 11/15/17 10:41 PM Re: Suggested Trails Texas / South OK [Re: BZH]
toddfw2003 Offline

Hit the lonestar trail or 4 c trail south of you

#199520 - 11/16/17 04:27 PM Re: Suggested Trails Texas / South OK [Re: toddfw2003]
41253 Offline

Don't think Texas, think distance. Most or all of 4 other states are closer to Dallas than Big Bend is (as you know).

I was disapointed with Davey Crocket NF, it's pretty crowded and it seems as though you're never out of hearing range of a dirt road with lots of pickup truck traffic. Maybe I just caught it at a bad time.

From Dallas you're not much more than 2 or 3 hours from Talimena SP in OK. You can park there, hike and camp on the Ouachita Trail, and use their shower before driving home. I really like a loop that includes Military Road, a well-built trail with interesting history.

Broken Bow is smaller but a little closer, we enjoyed a quick trip there a few years back.

Edited by 41253 (11/16/17 04:28 PM)

#199536 - 11/17/17 12:15 PM Re: Suggested Trails Texas / South OK [Re: Aussie Campr]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Davy Crockett is certainly convenient for those quick trips when you've got cabin fever and just have to get out there, but it's fairly flat and heavily wooded, so there's not much of a view. On top of that, the USFS recommends not to drink the water, even filtered. Too much ranch runoff I guess. There are, however, several places to cache water.

I haven't done anything overnight in OK, but I really like Caney Creek Wilderness in SE AR. Anywhere along the Ouachita Trail or the Albert Pike area would probably serve you well, I just can't vouch for them personally as I haven't been. I keep meaning to get to Eagle Rock Loop, which passes through Albert Pike, but something comes up every year.

If you want something closer to home, Dinosaur Valley SP is beautiful and has nice trails. I think it's even got water this year smile. I haven't done an overnight there either, and I'm not sure how long the back trails are, but you could always take them slow and enjoy the view more to make it a 2 night trip. Stop and "smell the roses" often.

Lost Maples is sort of in the same category - convenient (though not as close as DVSP), gorgeous, somewhat small. It's one of my favorite places for day hiking or just hanging out.

And finally, if you want to go out west a ways, I hear Guadalupe Mountains National Park (GUMO) is amazing. Only thing there is you have to pack all your water. It's scarce if present at all, so they ask you to leave it for wildlife, and there's nowhere to cache it.

#199544 - 11/18/17 08:05 PM Re: Suggested Trails Texas / South OK [Re: Aussie Campr]
Bill S. Offline

Big Bend is awesome, but a long way and this time of year is usually pretty crowded. If you like canyons there is Palo Duro canyon by Amarillo or Caprock Canyons which may be a little closer. Both very nice. Area's around San Antonio are plenty and will be closer and warmer. Lost Maples would be very nice and colorful this time of year. Good hiking

#199555 - 11/20/17 06:01 PM Re: Suggested Trails Texas / South OK [Re: Aussie Campr]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I don't know much about Texas, just that I flew over it once (Denver-Houston) and it took hours.

I was impressed by this trip report from "P Mags" that was on his blog last winter. It may be too far from you, but it certainly has scenery!
Palo Duro Canyon

I just realized after posting that this area has already been suggested, but the report I linked to has lots of beautiful photos!

Edited by OregonMouse (11/20/17 06:09 PM)

#199573 - 11/22/17 03:45 PM Re: Suggested Trails Texas / South OK [Re: 4evrplan]
Aussie Campr Offline

Thanks guys, I'll look into these

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum