Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199343 - 10/25/17 08:43 AM Hiking Safety/Distress Drone Idea
EngiStudent8 Offline

Hello hikers

I am an engineering student from Denmark. I am looking to develop a drone that can assist hikers in need of help. The basic idea I am working with now is that you can deploy the drone and it will try to locate help.
Different scenarios where I imagine this could be useful:

• You are in a place with no telephone signal. The drone knows where the nearest telephone signal can be located. In case of emergency it flies there and sends an emergency signal.
  • You fall into some hole(?) without any signal. The drone would be equipped with sensors that make it able to escape the hole and send a distress signal.

I realize that satellite phones and PLBs exist, however I believe this solution could be done a lot cheaper.

Is this a product you would be interested in? If so, why or why

Thanks in advance
Soren
University of Southern Denmark

#199347 - 10/25/17 10:01 AM Re: Hiking Safety/Distress Drone Idea [Re: EngiStudent8]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I'm not sure it would be cheaper than a PLB. Even if it successfully flew to a phone, how would it use it? Wouldn't it be better to have a built-in phone onboard? This incurs the cost of the phone electronics and service charges. It might be useful, not because of economy, but because you can use it in places where a PLB doesn't have a signal, i.e. caving, but I think your market is going to be very small indeed.

I'm not trying to be a nay-sayer; I'm just trying to be realistic. In any case, I hope your project goes well.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your post. You didn't say the nearest phone, you said the nearest signal, so I realize you meant it would have an onboard phone. Never the less, I'd be surprised if you can manufacture, market, and deliver for less than a PLB.

Edited by 4evrplan (10/25/17 10:05 AM)

#199351 - 10/25/17 03:52 PM Re: Hiking Safety/Distress Drone Idea [Re: EngiStudent8]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Most of us backpack in designated wilderness areas (at least that's where we are most apt to get into trouble, with no cell phone signal) where the use of drones is illegal under Federal law.

#199354 - 10/25/17 06:39 PM Re: Hiking Safety/Distress Drone Idea [Re: EngiStudent8]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I’m probably not willing to carry such a thing, unless you can get it to weigh less than 4 ounces (short answer: you can’t.)

I hike almost exclusively on-trail in the eastern US; these are not vast wilderness areas, and the trails (while not crowded) are well-hiked. I tend not to do reckless things. In nearly 40 years of such backpacking trips, alone and in groups, I’ve never once been in any situation that would come anywhere close to any rational definition of “emergency.” So, my risk of getting into the kinds of no-help-likely situations you envision are quite low, perhaps to the vanishing point.

For me, you’re trying to fill a need that doesn’t exist. Therefore, the chances that I’d need such a thing simply aren’t worth the cost (in weight) of lugging it around.

Drones could be very useful to SAR teams, I suppose - unless you’re in a wilderness area where their use would still be illegal.

#199355 - 10/25/17 07:09 PM Re: Hiking Safety/Distress Drone Idea [Re: EngiStudent8]

About cost. The model of Personal Locator Beacon I own costs $270 US (the price has dropped $30 in the past 3 years) and weighs 5.4 oz. (about 128 g). Its battery lasts 5 years. I doubt that a drone could be that cheap, or that light, even if it were legal.

Many people (I'm not one of them) prefer a gadget (SPOT or Inreach) that will send daily reassuring messages to the family back home. I doubt a drone could do that even if it were legal.

#199358 - 10/25/17 08:08 PM Re: Hiking Safety/Distress Drone Idea [Re: EngiStudent8]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I believe this solution could be done a lot cheaper.

There are many other factors for hikers besides cost.

Foremost, any equipment designed for use in a life-and-death situation must be ultra-reliable, otherwise, it is pointless.
It would have to be durable enough to withstand being jammed into a pack with other objects, knocked against trees, leaned against and generally mistreated and still do its job when most needed.

It would have to have enough power to fly for as many miles as might be necessary. There are many parts of the Western hemisphere (e.g. Canada, Alaska, the Andes) where a phone signal might be very far away. Also, don't forget weather conditions. High winds, heavy rain or snow & ice must not defeat your rescue drone.

You'd need to equip it to be able to independently tell the rescuers where the imperiled hiker is located. You cannot assume the hiker would be able to convey this information. You'd need to design it to interface seamlessly with an existing network for search and rescue. Otherwise, who will it be talking to and how would they know what to do?

It would have to be small enough to justify the space it takes up in one's pack. And, as noted already, it would also need to be lightweight. Bulky or heavy items tend to be left behind.

Solve all these problems more cheaply and reliably than what is already out there and you might have a winner.

#199362 - 10/26/17 08:32 AM Re: Hiking Safety/Distress Drone Idea [Re: aimless]
EngiStudent8 Offline

I realize I was quite overzealous when I said a lot cheaper. Anyways thank you for your feedback, much appreciated.

#199363 - 10/26/17 08:47 AM Re: Hiking Safety/Distress Drone Idea [Re: Glenn Roberts]
EngiStudent8 Offline

Thank you for your feedback. I agree it must be very light weight. Perhaps the emergency feature could be an add on. Many people bring drones along hiking for beautiful shots etc.

#199366 - 10/26/17 12:32 PM Re: Hiking Safety/Distress Drone Idea [Re: EngiStudent8]

Do remember that drones are illegal in federally designated wilderness areas, where many of us, especially in the western US, do most of our backpacking. In other words, your gadget cannot be used in those areas where there would be the most need for it due to isolation and rough terrain.

Plus, the general opinions expressed on hiking/backpacking forums here in the Pacific Northwest is an extreme dislike of drones, including threats to shoot them down! (Not by me, although I'd be sorely tempted!)

Edited by OregonMouse (10/26/17 12:36 PM)

#199374 - 10/27/17 04:55 AM Re: Hiking Safety/Distress Drone Idea [Re: OregonMouse]
EngiStudent8 Offline

The legality is definitely a major concern. I think it could be wagered, that it would be OK to deploy the drone in an extreme emergency.

Why do people dislike drones so much?

Thank you for the feedback.

#199376 - 10/27/17 09:35 AM Re: Hiking Safety/Distress Drone Idea [Re: EngiStudent8]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I agree about the extreme emergency, but my experience is that the hikers who would deploy are very poor judges of what an extreme emergency is. Being tired, hot, and hungry is not an extreme emergency, yet we see PLBs activated on a regular basis for these reasons.

People hate drones in the wilderness because we go to the wilderness to escape the noise, hustle, and bustle of urban life, People who bring noisy urban appliances into the wilderness ruin that experience for the rest of us. And they do it even though it is illegal. If it were made legal, the incidence would be much higher.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#199377 - 10/27/17 10:42 AM Re: Hiking Safety/Distress Drone Idea [Re: EngiStudent8]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I think the legality of a emergency drone can be overcome, so I'd not worry too much about that, but the weight and distance it can travel may be a hurdle that's difficult to overcome right now, but that could change with technology advances soon enough.

But, as mentioned here, a drone that goes looking for someone who's lost or needs help is an approach that may have more potential as it could find and deliver aid before rescuers arrive and confirm the hikers location.

Finding a hiker might be approached by searching for signals from a phone or other devices that send a signal, like a "SPOT".

Another approach is maybe using a drone as a relay to send a message or phone call. Here in the Ozarks, for example, it's easy to be down low in a creek between hills and not get a cell phone signal, but if you climb a few hundred feet up you can get one.

This idea has merit.

"You want to go where?"

#199380 - 10/27/17 01:38 PM Re: Hiking Safety/Distress Drone Idea [Re: billstephenson]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
If the drone were merely a relay allowing the user to make a call on a cell phone, I suspect that it would be used for non-emergency calls almost exclusively. This would be legal in many places like the Ozarks, but given the lack of Forest Service personnel to enforce current wilderness regulations, it would just present one more temptation for the hikers who think only of their own pleasure and convenience to proliferate drones where they don't belong, in order to feed their phone obsession.

#199387 - 10/28/17 06:38 PM Re: Hiking Safety/Distress Drone Idea [Re: aimless]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
"I suspect that it would be used for non-emergency calls almost exclusively."

lol!! I have no doubt you're right about that. I would hate having to hear those things buzzing around.

"You want to go where?"

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum