Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198974 - 08/28/17 11:37 AM In Houston. Thank God for all my backpacking gear
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
It went from backpacking gear to survival gear. The city is talking about shutting all the water off. I have 10 gallons of water on hand but if I need more I can filter water out of the lake in front of my house. For all the other backpackers here living in Houston please stay safe!!

#198976 - 08/28/17 05:23 PM Re: In Houston. Thank God for all my backpacking gear [Re: toddfw2003]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Originally Posted By toddfw2003
It went from backpacking gear to survival gear. The city is talking about shutting all the water off. I have 10 gallons of water on hand but if I need more I can filter water out of the lake in front of my house. For all the other backpackers here living in Houston please stay safe!!

Best wishes to you and all your fellow soggy residents!

p.s. Assume all floodwater is contaminated with chemical as well as biological hazards unless you know otherwise (if it came off your roof, for example).

If you have a tub, fill it and remember you can drain the water from the water heater.

Stay safe!

#198978 - 08/28/17 07:04 PM Re: In Houston. Thank God for all my backpacking gear [Re: Rick_D]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I'd rush to fill every container you have. The filter will do nothng for chemical contaminants or viruses.

Sending thoughts and prayers for everyone's safety!

#198979 - 08/28/17 09:18 PM Re: In Houston. Thank God for all my backpacking gear [Re: toddfw2003]
bobito9 Offline

wow, that's a terrible drag! Very depressing. Good luck.

#198982 - 08/29/17 12:07 AM Re: In Houston. Thank God for all my backpacking gear [Re: bobito9]
toddfw2003 Offline

bathrubs full and have rain barrels. Should have enough water to last a few weeks

#199024 - 09/02/17 12:53 PM Re: In Houston. Thank God for all my backpacking gear [Re: toddfw2003]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Good to be prepared and if you have backpacking gear you're always a big step towards that.

I hope the water has began to recede a bit for you. I was poking around the NOAA site a few days before Harvey started hitting the coast and saw a video from a satellite and it was just amazing how huge it got, but the news didn't seem to be mentioning it much until it had just a couple days before the eye of the storm was about to hit the coast, which surprised me.

My sister, who lives near Dallas, said they had a huge rush on gasoline there on Thursday. Said they sold 40,000 gallons and had 18 pumps running non-stop until they ran out.

She said they taped signs over the "Regular" gas buttons because the tanks were down to 1000 gallons and when they're that low the gas gets all mucked up with sediment, but people were tearing off the signs and still pumping gas from them into their big expensive trucks. That's certainly gonna cost of few of them more than it was worth.

The photos and videos I've seen show some pretty devastating results. I know from some experience it's easy to make it look worse than it is, but it sure looks bad from what I've seen.

"You want to go where?"

#199027 - 09/03/17 11:57 PM Re: In Houston. Thank God for all my backpacking gear [Re: billstephenson]
toddfw2003 Offline

Yeh, gas is scarce in Houston. you can only get premium if you can find it at all. I have been keeping my tank full everyday in case we run out

#199040 - 09/06/17 12:56 PM Re: In Houston. Thank God for all my backpacking gear [Re: toddfw2003]
Jeffrey Offline

Loc: New York, NY
I'm glad you have your backpacking gear with you.

I read you have a water supply, but what's the situation with food?
Do you have a reserve?

Best wishes to all the Houston citizens!

#199041 - 09/06/17 01:51 PM Re: In Houston. Thank God for all my backpacking gear [Re: Jeffrey]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Seriously, I sure wish there was a way to send some of that water up here to the parched and blazing Pacific NW!

#199042 - 09/07/17 09:16 AM Re: In Houston. Thank God for all my backpacking gear [Re: toddfw2003]
Dryer Offline

What part of town are you in? Now that the storm is past, what does your cleanup situation look like?

#199043 - 09/07/17 10:52 PM Re: In Houston. Thank God for all my backpacking gear [Re: Jeffrey]
toddfw2003 Offline

Everything is back to normal for the most part. Groceries are open again. I stocked up on food that I would use for backpacking, It all worked out.

#199044 - 09/07/17 10:55 PM Re: In Houston. Thank God for all my backpacking gear [Re: Dryer]
toddfw2003 Offline

Im in the Heights which is just north of downtown. Really didnt have any clean up. My house didnt flood nor my car. Everything a block away from me did in ever direction

Edited by toddfw2003 (09/07/17 10:56 PM)

#199049 - 09/09/17 12:08 PM Re: In Houston. Thank God for all my backpacking gear [Re: toddfw2003]
Jeffrey Offline

Loc: New York, NY
It's good you are in the Heights.

I've heard a story about a guy that bought some Anti-Flooding system on the Internet, and it did save his house. It was in Texas if I'm not mistaken.

Didn't you hear anything similar?

#199054 - 09/09/17 11:53 PM Re: In Houston. Thank God for all my backpacking gear [Re: Jeffrey]
toddfw2003 Offline

Yeh, they were water filler tubes that form a dam around his house. The guy lives about 50 miles outside of Houston

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum