Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198255 - 05/02/17 01:01 AM 100$ Amazon card to spend on backpacking supplies
Hiking2016 Offline

Loc: California
I have 100$ amazon card (for Backpacking supplies), help me figure out what to buy on Amazon, to maximize the value.

So far I have:

a Tent, Bear Cannister, Flash light, a backpack, a sleeping bag, a sleeping pad.

What should I buy...I am looking to go on a 6 day backpacking trip through the High Sierra in late summer.

Any real thoughts and suggestions and Amazon links would be very appreciated!

#198258 - 05/02/17 09:40 AM Re: 100$ Amazon card to spend on backpacking supplies [Re: Hiking2016]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Food.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#198260 - 05/02/17 10:57 AM Re: 100$ Amazon card to spend on backpacking supplies [Re: Hiking2016]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Are you going solo or with others? Do you plan on cooking or going no-cook?

Based on your short description sounds like you may need kitchen supplies. Stove, pot, spoon, food... Possibly some light weight rain gear (you could check out Dri Ducks)

#198262 - 05/02/17 12:47 PM Re: 100$ Amazon card to spend on backpacking supplies [Re: Hiking2016]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I'm not sure you can find one on Amazon, but I suggest you take a reliable, experienced backpacking partner.

#198270 - 05/03/17 12:52 AM Re: 100$ Amazon card to spend on backpacking supplies [Re: BZH]
Hiking2016 Offline

I'm going solo. I was given a 100$ card on Amazon so I want to use it for Hiking gear.

#198271 - 05/03/17 01:35 AM Re: 100$ Amazon card to spend on backpacking supplies [Re: Hiking2016]
DiveShallow Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
If you're asking this question and you're going solo for 6 days in the woods your first step is to watch Rambo: First Blood. Then if you're trying to stay ~$100--really all you are going to need in addition to what you already listed is a tarp, MREs, a flare, 15" machete, WetFire Tinder, water purifier, rope, compass, bear mace, and extra socks.

#198276 - 05/03/17 11:37 AM Re: 100$ Amazon card to spend on backpacking supplies [Re: DiveShallow]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Hiking2016, diveshallow's post is obviously satirical, but that's not always obvious online, especially to a beginner. I'm really not trying to insult your intelligence, but for your sake and other readers, please, do not follow this terrible advice.

#198280 - 05/03/17 01:38 PM Re: 100$ Amazon card to spend on backpacking supplies [Re: Hiking2016]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
You didn't state how much experience you have, but if it's not a lot, I would recommend a few overnighters before going on a longer trip. Even the back yard (best place to learn to manage your gear and cope with weather, since you can retreat indoors if things go bad) is a good option. Or car camping at a nearby state park.

The home page of this site has a number of articles on gear selection that you may find useful.

There is also an excellent gear list there, designed for the Cascade Range, but should be quite adequate for the Sierra trip you're contemplating: 27 lb., 7-day backpacking list
While some of the brands and models are no longer available, it will give you a good idea of the items you still need--and items that you won't need!

Edited by OregonMouse (05/04/17 09:40 AM)
Edit Reason: Correct link!

#198281 - 05/03/17 05:49 PM Re: 100$ Amazon card to spend on backpacking supplies [Re: Hiking2016]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Based on what's NOT on your list: hiking shoes and socks? Water filter (Sawyer Mini or MSR Trailshot)? Stove and pot (MSR has a two-person set with pot, stove, eating gear, and utensils; you can also buy each item separately.) How are you set on clothing? A polyester fleece jacket or synthetic long johns (Outdoor Research Sequence, or even Under Armor)? Topo maps and a compass?

#198290 - 05/04/17 12:46 AM Re: 100$ Amazon card to spend on backpacking supplies [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Hiking2016 Offline

Thanks this is great info.

I have a lightweight colombia jacket, but not for super cold weather.

I have a cooking gas pot and compass.

I do not have eating gear/utensils, or long johns, I don't have polyster fleece sweatshirt or jacket. I'm in need of warm clothing that is proper for hiking.

#198291 - 05/04/17 12:49 AM Re: 100$ Amazon card to spend on backpacking supplies [Re: OregonMouse]
Hiking2016 Offline

I have been on a couple big day hikes, and a couple overnight. I camped overnight at Mt. San Jacinto. I've Hiked Mt. Baldy, Baden-Powell, Mt. Timber, Mt. Wilson.

I did get lost once or twice while on the trail, losing the trail in the snow...but ended up ok.

I asked this 71 year old lady who hiked Mt. Whitney if I should hike a 2 or 3 nighter first, and she said, no do a 6 nighter. This lady went to Mt. Whitney the other year. So that is what really inspired me to do a 6 nighter.

Fitness wise, I'm good...I'm really in shape. I'm just worried about getting lost honestly.

I was thinking I'd get a good electronic GPS in addition to having my smart phone and get some APP for directions, and carry a map as well.

Edited by Hiking2016 (05/04/17 12:50 AM)

#198294 - 05/04/17 08:10 AM Re: 100$ Amazon card to spend on backpacking supplies [Re: Hiking2016]
bluefish Offline

Don't forget to allow some time to acclimate to altitude before you hit the trail. At least a night car campimg, someplace at a high trailhead helps- like Horseshoe Meadows, North Lake above Bishop, or Mosquito Flats above Tom's Place for examples. This year is going to be bad for skeeters in all likelihood, so a head net and light long sleeve shirt (not cotton) would be helpful. A fleece or puffy (down jacket) would be good, as it will be cool in the evenings. This can also extend the range of your bag, too. A merino wool watch cap or warm hat of some kind would help, too. Rain gear? Don't go cheap, Sierra thunderstorms often have high winds with them and cheap stuff will tear apart. Make sure your tent is built to withstand some wind, also. Look at some gear lists and ask specific questions if you are in doubt. You may or may not like trekking poles, but they are helpful in lots of ways and this year with run-off going to be way into August, some creek crossings may be very tricky. Poles help tremendously for crossings. Of course,just don't if it looks bad! In 2011, the last high water year,log bridges got taken out, and weren't replaced immediately. Sounds like a good adventure!

#198295 - 05/04/17 10:58 AM Re: 100$ Amazon card to spend on backpacking supplies [Re: Hiking2016]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL

#198296 - 05/04/17 11:03 AM Re: 100$ Amazon card to spend on backpacking supplies [Re: Hiking2016]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
I was thinking I'd get a good electronic GPS in addition to having my smart phone and get some APP for directions, and carry a map as well.

Your smart phone might have a built-in GPS chip, this is something you can look up online with a little sleuthing. There are some decent apps that make a smartphone work essentially like a GPS, with some caveats.

First, battery power; with a standalone GPS, you can carry extra (typically AA) batteries; Lithiums are very light and work best in cold weather as well.

Second, with any GPS, I think that any person really needs to do a fair bit of practice, at/near home and/or on trips to places already pretty well known. This is not something you can count on just figuring out on the fly when you need it. There are a lot of options, the user interface is often not very intuitive, it takes time to get comfortable and good at the subset of features you'll tend to use.

Whatever sort of GPS you opt for, I strongly suggest that you use the GPS to build up your "don't need the GPS" map skills. I.e., on wilderness trips keep pulling out your map and try to associate where you are (just be looking around plus sort of keeping track) with where you think you are on the map. Then after doing that, pull out your GPS and see where you actually are. Wash, rinse, repeat. I think that's a really effective way to get map reading experience in a practical way.

I don't mean to sound patronizing or preachy here, it just seems that it's a natural human tendency to load up on "the right gear" and assume that just sort of having it with you is sufficient preparation!

#198298 - 05/04/17 09:25 PM Re: 100$ Amazon card to spend on backpacking supplies [Re: Hiking2016]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Can you arrange your six-day trip so you loop back past (or close) to your car around the third day? That effectively breaks your trip into two 3-day chunks, giving you the best of both worlds. It would be a good idea to have a safety valve until you get a little more experience under your belt (as mentioned above.)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum