Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162867 - 02/27/12 05:00 PM Squirrels & Traps
packlite Online   content

Admin

Loc: Pullman, WA, USA
When I first started my garden two years ago in 2010, I wasn't sure what to expect from varmits. We have some rabbits, lots of quail, occasional deer, lots of birds and squirrels. Well as it turned out, the squirrels were the only threat. I tried several things but eventually only the traps worked.

In 2010, I deployed two traps and caught 55 squirrels during the gardening season. On most days from one to four. I discovered that there doesn't seem to be anything they like better than peanut butter on bread. So I buy cheapest PB and spread a little on the bread, set the trap and sometimes I can see them waiting for me and can watch them actually doing the deed and getting caught. After traps are full, I take them on a little ride outta town and deposit in areas where there are trees.

In 2011, I caught maybe 1/2 as many. I've never had a problem in the garden. The traps are an effective buffer. Here's some photos: (in the second photo, the varmit ate the PB but not the strawberry):

Havahart 1078 Live Animal Professional Style One-Door Rabbit, Skunk, Mink, and Squirrel Cage Trap

#162879 - 02/27/12 06:52 PM Re: Squirrels & Traps [Re: packlite]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I used to trap rabbits in our garden with one of these when I was a kid. Our cat got trapped in it once. Not sure why he decided to go in there after the carrots and lettuce we used as bait.

#162880 - 02/27/12 06:52 PM Re: Squirrels & Traps [Re: packlite]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
What do you do with them once you catch them? I gave a neighbor permission to hunt squirrel with his grandson on some land I own. They would eat them.

My mom finds the squirrel population at her place vacates when she pet sits my dog for me. Apparently they don't get along.

#162883 - 02/27/12 07:10 PM Re: Squirrels & Traps [Re: PerryMK]

Admin

Originally Posted By PerryMK
What do you do with them once you catch them?

Once the traps are full, I take the varmits outside of town and let them go. Even though I don't especially care for them, I try to be humane and usu let them go where trees are plentiful. The first one that I encountered, I threw a rock at it and killed it. I felt bad about that and since have gone the route of trapping & re-locating them.

#162979 - 02/28/12 07:29 PM Re: Squirrels & Traps [Re: packlite]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I relocated 24 chipmonks one year. The next year they were mostly all gone. The neighbors moved in with cats. I saw them catch birds near my feeders and one day we witnessed a red tailed hawk taking a little gray bird off of our bird feeders. The hawk never touched the ground and landed 15 feet away on the fence.

We have one small pine squirrel who rules our garden and keeps the larger grey squirrels and jays away from her feeders.

So paclite don't they eat squirrel pie up there in Washington?
Jim

#162995 - 02/29/12 01:32 AM Re: Squirrels & Traps [Re: Jimshaw]

Admin

Originally Posted By Jimshaw
So paclite don't they eat squirrel pie up there in Washington?
Jim

If I were living out of town, I'd probably have a little 410 shotgun and be barbequing some of that squirrel. I don't think they are gray squirrel, though. I'm pretty sure that they are the larger Eastern Fox Squirrel Those things weigh-in at 2+ lbs.

#163017 - 02/29/12 01:36 PM Re: Squirrels & Traps [Re: packlite]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Actually, a .22 short shot through the head is a better way to kill a squirrel. Picking shotgun pellets out of a squirrel is not fun, nor is chomping down on the pellet(s) you've inevitably missed while eating squirrel stew. That means not only several unpleasant trips to the dentist but a lot of money out of pocket!

#163039 - 02/29/12 06:04 PM Re: Squirrels & Traps [Re: OregonMouse]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
LOL I live in town. I have a Beeman Gold pellet gun. cock it once Thousand feet per second. They dont know what hit them!
I have ate squirrl but its not my favorite. Typically we use them for Coyote Bait! I wouldnt mind them if they didnt tear up my bird feeders!
"Licensed to kill Varmits bye the United nations"

#163050 - 02/29/12 08:59 PM Re: Squirrels & Traps [Re: Kent W]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
People do eat them here. Some of the old timers do it just because they want to, and there are those who do it because they need to, but there is no shortage of squirrels, that's for sure.

One year there were so many that there were thousands of them lining the roadsides. Luckily, we have darn near as many vultures here and they are one swift clean up crew.

I've only ate one squirrel. That was shot by a guy who was camping in the hollow below our house. He invited me to share it with him, and I'd wanted to taste it for a long time, so he cleaned it while I got a fire going and we slowly smoked it with oak and hickory and then ate it. It reminded me a bit of rabbit in texture, but the meat took the smoke very well and it tasted great.

I've never had it yet, but old timers and those that have tell me that squirrel gravy is the best ever. I didn't see enough fat on the squirrel we ate to make any gravy wink

"You want to go where?"

#163051 - 02/29/12 09:06 PM Re: Squirrels & Traps [Re: billstephenson]
Kent W Offline

Bill People est them here too. Not like years ago though. I have had it fried and with gravy as well. Its ok just wouldnt go out of my way for it. Unfortunatly, not many places to hunt them here. Most woods in my area are now subdavisions.

#163066 - 03/01/12 08:52 AM Re: Squirrels & Traps [Re: packlite]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
A pellet pistol...pump or co2, will dispatch a squirrel, as will .22 CB caps, which might be to much at close range. If you have them as a 'captive audience' in your traps, they should be an easy target, and a pellet won't damage the trap.

#163082 - 03/01/12 02:51 PM Re: Squirrels & Traps [Re: Dryer]
Kent W Offline

Dreyer I have used cb longs on coons in the garbage cans. I have found my pellet gun a bit more effective .Not only that cb longs have gotten a bit pricey for 22 amo. I can bye 500 RWS hollow point pellets for what 50 cbs cost these days.

#167400 - 06/29/12 05:06 PM Re: Squirrels & Traps [Re: Kent W]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
I usually take them with a slingshot! When they get to close to the garden!

Then I field dress check liver for sign of disease and feed to my dogs!

#167412 - 06/30/12 11:16 AM Re: Squirrels & Traps [Re: Samoset]
tybee Offline

Loc: coastal georgia
nuts for slingshot ammo? hmmm. never thought of that.

#167435 - 07/01/12 11:04 PM Re: Squirrels & Traps [Re: tybee]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Originally Posted By tybee
nuts for slingshot ammo? hmmm. never thought of that.

3/8" hex nuts 100 for less than $10 and they shoot true enough and hit hard enough

#167601 - 07/04/12 11:03 AM Re: Squirrels & Traps [Re: Samoset]
intrek38 Offline

Loc: Hesperia, Calif
When we first move to this Hesperia desert, our girls were little and we would feed the poor hungry little GROUND squirrels for entertainment. Things got out of hand really quick so I ended up live trapping them but its against the law to relocate so I had to drown them. I really hated to do it, but it got a little easier every time I did it. I ended up getting 27 the first summer, 10 the next, and now maybe 2-3 a year. Common sense should tell us not to feed the wildlife...

#197608 - 02/07/17 11:30 AM Re: Squirrels & Traps [Re: packlite]
Dia Offline

Loc: VA
I so need those! The squirrels in my area are horrible and destroy virtually everything I try to grow. I've attempted to start a garden on three separate occasions and failed because of the squirrels. However, last year the squirrels managed to plant a corn stalk in my flower garden and they didn't touch that laugh

Moderator:  Glenn Roberts 
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum