Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197455 - 01/18/17 02:39 AM Smokey Mountain National Park
Blutosky Offline

Loc: Missouri
My son (28) and I (56) would like to do a 5 day back country trip in the Smokies this Spring. We have limited experience but are both athletic and fit. My questions are many but lets start with advice on choosing the trails. Should we avoid those shared with horses? And campsites.... same question? Thanks for any advice. More questions to come.

#197458 - 01/18/17 11:16 AM Re: Smokey Mountain National Park [Re: Blutosky]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I hike in the Sierra where pack horses are common. Many of the trails would not exist without pack horses, so I try to keep that in perspective. They are not that bothersome. They move in groups faster than me. When I see a group I step off to the side and let them pass. In a day of hiking I've never crossed more than a couple pack trains. Is there horse poop on the trail? Yes... Was there horse poop in the small summit lake I had to drink out of because I ran out of water? Most probably... I took it all in stride. My worst experience with horses/mules on the trail is when a pack train came right through my campsite at 3 AM.

I don't consider horses/mules a deal breaker. They won't run you over unlike mountain bikes. I guess if I were to choose between two trails and all other things being equal I would choose the one without horses.

#197465 - 01/18/17 03:38 PM Re: Smokey Mountain National Park [Re: BZH]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
Without much experience I would hike part of the AT. There are a lot of shelters and even more people. If you were to get into a bind there are enough people on it to assist you

#197466 - 01/18/17 04:46 PM Re: Smokey Mountain National Park [Re: toddfw2003]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I'd start with something a lot more limited, such as an overnighter only a couple of miles from your car. That way, if everything goes wrong (it does happen, and is how we learn!), you can easily bail out. You'll enjoy the longer trip a lot more if you're prepared!

Also, practice a lot around home with your gear. For example, set up and take down your tent enough times that you can easily do it. You don't want to be out on the trail on a dark and stormy night trying to set up the tent with instructions in one hand and flashlight in the other!

After some practice under ideal conditions, try an overnight in the back yard or a car campground in nasty weather. Better to learn to cope close to a warm dry bed, or at least your car, than out on the AT!

#197467 - 01/18/17 06:15 PM Re: Smokey Mountain National Park [Re: OregonMouse]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
I second what OregonMouse says. People like to jump the gun in the beginning when they get all their gear. I wasnt any different. One bad night in the backcountry unprepared could end your happiness for your new found hobby and now you are stuck with expensive gear. Take it slow and ask a ton of questions. People like OregonMouse are very friendly on here and will answer most of your question and they have years of experience. There are things you need to know that you might not know like The Smokies are in bear country. Do you have a bear bag or canister? Do you know how to hang your food to protect it from bears? There is a lot to consider

#197468 - 01/18/17 06:53 PM Re: Smokey Mountain National Park [Re: BZH]
Blutosky Offline

Thanks BZH. An interesting perspective. I will try to avoid dirt bikes and co-exist with the equine friends. While looking for gear and answers to my endless questions today, I happened to run into a guy named Chad at the Moosejaw store in Kansas City. He grew up in Tennessee and is very familiar with the Smokies. He pretty much is ok with using the horse trails too. He said many times their is a parrallel foot trail and you are just sharing a route between campsites. Thank you for your input and advice.

#197473 - 01/19/17 08:48 AM Re: Smokey Mountain National Park [Re: OregonMouse]
Blutosky Offline

Thanks Mouse and everyone else. I appreciate for the feedback and am very impressed by how quickly people have responded to this post. Practice runs are in the plans. We have some of the gear needed but are still looking for quality rain gear, a pair of boots, one pack and assorted clothing. Any advice or critique of rain gear is appreciated. We are looking at Marmot, North face etc. with pit zips and pants with zippered legs. As far as clothing, I tried on some Prana pants (convertible) yesterday and they seemed very comfortable but the zipper hit me right at the knees which seemed to be bothersome at first impression. The boots are for my son (recommendations?). I'll be wearing leather boots to protect my abused ankles. I did this at Philmont in 2000 and was good to go. We have a tentative route planned to submit to SMNP 30 days out and are planning alternate routes in case our preferred one has sites that are already taken. Any more advice is greatly appreciated. Blue.

#197476 - 01/19/17 11:19 AM Re: Smokey Mountain National Park [Re: Blutosky]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
As a first step in buying gear, I usually check Backpackers Gear Guide for the most recent year. And narrow down the field to just three or four. In your case you've got a lot of lead time so mail ordering will save you a lot of gas, time since return polices are usually favorable. Fwiw I too am looking at rain gear....there's a lot out there and can seem daunting! Good luck with the project

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (01/19/17 11:45 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum