Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197416 - 01/16/17 12:56 AM Hiking trails for the winter/spring in the US?
CityMouse Offline

Loc: NY
I am looking for a 1-2 month hike (Feb-March), and would like to avoid extreme weather because I am inexperienced and cannot fit a bunch of camping gear in my apartment (I live in NYC). I am fine with being uncomfortable, but am afraid of hypothermia/slipping/dehydration. Are these even realistic concerns? How does one procure water on a long hike? What kind of supplies does it take to stay relatively comfortable in snowy/cold weather? I'm pretty cold-hardy if my hands and feet stay dry, and I feel like all long trails run into snow at some point, so perhaps I shouldn't cross cold states off my list? Thank you!

#197418 - 01/16/17 02:35 AM Re: Hiking trails for the winter/spring in the US? [Re: CityMouse]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
January is already half over, so you would only have about two weeks until setting off on this hike, and you are so inexperienced that you do not know how to procure water while hiking? This is not a good start. eek

Yes, you are quite correct to fear hypothermia, especially in the February/March time frame you're considering. Hypothermia, along with falls and injuries, are the two most common reasons why hikers die.

As little as you would like to hear this, I would strongly counsel you to set aside all thought of attempting to do such a long hike right away and set your sights on an adventure that would allow you to gain experience without jeopardizing your safety. You should perhaps contemplate a car camping trip, taking day hikes and returning to your car and campsite each day. Such a trip could certainly give you all the challenge and satisfaction you could ask for. What you seek to do now is far too likely to end in failure, confusion and regret. frown

#197421 - 01/16/17 09:21 AM Re: Hiking trails for the winter/spring in the US? [Re: CityMouse]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I agree with Aimless. You may feel fine with being uncomfortable now, in the city, indoors, but when you're actually in the uncomfortable situation, for real, you won't be. (I know I'm not.) The problem is, you won't have the skills, knowledge, or gear to do anything about it - and now you're in precisely the kind of situation where hypothermia and dehydration can be life-threatening.

Check with local colleges, to see if any offer some type of outdoors course (many do.) If you find one, get the training and go on a few of the beginner trips they offer. You'll quickly catch on, and you'll pick up a lot of tips. This is not a difficult pastime to become competent in, and the rewards are bountiful. However, running out into the woods, totally inexperienced, will see you return home vowing never to set foot there again.

As far as gear, you don't really need a lot of space to store it: it should all store inside the pack itself, so you're not talking about something any larger than an airline carry-on bag. If you really don't have room for that, there is another option: rent gear for your trips from one of those colleges I mentioned earlier, or from a backpacking shop like REI. That's also a good idea until you get some experience; you can learn what does and doesn't work, then pick out your own gear based on that experience.

But for now, scale back your aspirations.

#197422 - 01/16/17 11:16 AM Re: Hiking trails for the winter/spring in the US? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I agree with the previous responses.

I am also in NY, the other side of the State. I am in the Adirondacks quite often. I am always willing to have others join me on my adventures. I often have beginners on my trips. You are welcome to join us.

#197423 - 01/16/17 11:42 AM Re: Hiking trails for the winter/spring in the US? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I agree with all of this, but I would add one nuance to what Glenn said. Your sleeping bag should not be stored compressed, especially if it's down. You can store it in an oversized bag or hanging in your closet.

#197424 - 01/16/17 11:50 AM Re: Hiking trails for the winter/spring in the US? [Re: 4evrplan]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Thanks, 4everplan. I meant to include that, but forgot.

#197464 - 01/18/17 03:29 PM Re: Hiking trails for the winter/spring in the US? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
Hayduke trail southern Utah and part of Northern AZ is what i recommend but you have to be on top of your game with your map reading skills. This treks takes you through tons of canyons and slot canyon and you could get lost easily. Only than that I would look at The Arizona trail, Southern part of the CDT through the Gila Wilderness, and the desert section of the PCT.

Edited by toddfw2003 (01/18/17 03:29 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum