Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197123 - 12/09/16 09:51 PM Re: Spam Longevity [Re: OregonMouse]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Hey, I am one of those rare people who LIKES fruitcake.

Back to Spam, last year I found spam cubes in little snack packs (at Walmart). I bought one and tried it. Not bad; not great. But the packet was just the right size for one meal. More expenive this way, but you do not have to worry about spoiling. It was in the aisle with those packets of tuna in a bag without the water.

We ate Spam when I was growing up. Quite popular in the 50's. Along with Velveeta, Jello, canned spaghetti. I think it was the era of fake food.

For those who think Spam is junk, I would say bacon is about the same. May taste better but still just a lot of fat and chemicals.

#197126 - 12/10/16 06:06 AM Re: Spam Longevity [Re: wandering_daisy]
PaHiker Offline

Loc: Western Pa, USA
At one time there were a lot of pouch choices - beef, sausage, ham. Apparently not popular enough to keep them going.

#197133 - 12/10/16 10:01 AM Re: Spam Longevity [Re: OregonMouse]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
My mother used to get fruitcake for Christmas, but the one that she bought was mostly candied fruit and nuts with little cake. I always enjoyed that one, but wasn't so thrilled with some of the other fruitcakes. None the less, Logan Bread is very similar to fruitcake and I like it as trail food. A little brandy on Logan Bread might not be a bad idea.

#197136 - 12/10/16 12:18 PM Re: Spam Longevity [Re: wgiles]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The fruitcake I used to make was mostly raisins, golden raisins, dried currants, nuts and candied cherries (I used some candied citron but not much). Lots of butter and eggs to hold it together, not much flour. It was very moist and heavy! It was supposed to be made about 6 weeks ahead and kept wrapped in layers of cheesecloth soaked in brandy. On Christmas Day I would warm it up and serve it flaming (more brandy!) for dessert. Although the fruitcake was big, it generally disappeared before Epiphany (January 6). I haven't even thought about making it since my kids left home, a long time ago.

It would actually make a good concentrated snack food for backpacking, in small slices, and (at least for me) without the brandy. I prefer to eat the nuts and dried frut separately, though.

#197141 - 12/10/16 07:37 PM Re: Spam Longevity [Re: OregonMouse]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Loc: Houston, Alabama
Wasn't it Garrison Keillor who joked that there was actually only one fruitcake in the US, and that one kept being re-gifted from person to person over the years?

#197143 - 12/10/16 07:49 PM Re: Spam Longevity [Re: Barefoot Friar]
PaHiker Offline

Loc: Western Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Barefoot Friar
Wasn't it Garrison Keillor who joked that there was actually only one fruitcake in the US, and that one kept being re-gifted from person to person over the years?

US? I thought it was the world! I understand that it was brought to the baby Jesus iby the fourth maji. Joseph left it behind when they went to Egypt, Herod found it and gave it to his wife, its been regifted ever since.

#197235 - 12/20/16 05:26 PM Re: Spam Longevity [Re: Nowak1981]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Spam should hold up for several hours, IMHO. Until the seal is broken, it should be close to sterile, then you would need to try to contaminate it as little as possible. As already mentioned, it is loaded with sodium and precooked.

That said, you are looking at some new backpacking foods. Consider ordering a #10 can of Mountain House Rice with Chicken, which right now is selling at under $16 dollars. Stir and divvy the mix into 10 small bags. I use repurposed (clean) mylar snack bags, such as from potato chips. This particular meal has no veggies and too little protein, again, IMHO, but it makes a great base. Most of the MH meals that I have tried do rehydrate easily and well, and have plenty of sauce for flavor. Plan to add in more protein and assorted vegetables. I can easily think up combinations that could provide at least 10 (actually more, but I think there are 10 "servings" in the can.) Cook and dehydrate at least 2.5 pounds of ground chicken or ground turkey to add to your 10 little bags and buy or dehydrate your veggies of choice. I have a very nice dehydrator but have also had good luck with buying dried vegetables through Amazon's Subscribe and Save, and more recently from a small company called Valley Foods, who may still be featuring sales. Add some beans, maybe corn, peppers, and chicken or turkey plus some chili powder and cumin for "Santa Fe Rice and Chicken," Broccoli, and chicken, maybe with Parmesan for Chicken Divan, spinach, Parmesan, and chicken for Chicken and Rice Florentine, etc. You can easily come up with a lot of variations that are fast trail treats.

Cheers!

CamperMom

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum