Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196701 - 10/04/16 05:10 PM My back is back
Bob Chiang Offline

Loc: New York, USA
After hurting my back in February of 2016 (see my new member introduction post), I finally felt good enough to go for a hiking trip.

We originally planned to hike the Adirondack peaks Colvin, Blake, Dial and Nippletop until I read a trip report about lots of bear activity in the campsites. So we went to the Dix Range instead. Gorgeous weather, beautiful views, great hiking, and most importantly the company of fun trip partners. And although my back still isn't 100%, it didn't cause any serious problems. I did feel the lack of conditioning due to not being able to do my previous level of exercise, but I'm looking forward to more.

Pictures here:
Adirondacks hiking
trip to the Dix Range

Have Fun,
-Bob

#196705 - 10/05/16 01:00 AM Re: My back is back [Re: Bob Chiang]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Excellent, I've had a few back problems myself over the years, and I know how wonderful it feels to get back out and do something,,..even if tentatively!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#196707 - 10/05/16 11:47 AM Re: My back is back [Re: balzaccom]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Keeping up with the physical therapy exercises is extremely important. Every time I skip the exercises for a few days, my back starts hurting. The same is true for my bum knee.

I'm glad you're able to get back outside!

#196715 - 10/05/16 06:26 PM Re: My back is back [Re: OregonMouse]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Keeping up with the physical therapy exercises is extremely important. Every time I skip the exercises for a few days, my back starts hurting. The same is true for my bum knee.

Excellent advice. And that includes on the trail !

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#196775 - 10/17/16 04:05 PM Re: My back is back [Re: Bob Chiang]
Lonerock Offline

Loc: Southern Oregon
I had a herniated disc but was able to avoid surgery or shots. It took a lot of patience with quite a bit of pain until someone suggested I read a book by Robin McKenzie about exercises known as the McKenzie Method for alleviating back pain. At first I was dubious that the simple exercises would reaaly help but they did and after a short while I was pain free and still am after 3 years.
Yes, back pain can be debilitating so I 've learned that the older I get the wiser I have to be in how I do things. I'm 71 and looking forward to doing some backpacking again next summer.

#196815 - 10/22/16 09:48 AM Re: My back is back [Re: Lonerock]
Bob Chiang Offline

Hi Lonerock,

Very glad to hear that you were able to treat your back without surgery. And I hope to still be taking trips when I am your age.

It's interesting that you mention the McKenzie method. That's what the Physical Therapist prescribed for me. I'm still not completely convinced of how much my recovery is a result of the McKenzie exercises, and how much is just from time, but the exercises do seem to help some.

It's frustrating to me that I was at a high level of fitness (for me) before I hurt my back, and that it's taking so long to become symptom free. I've been fortunate to never have experienced an injury that took very long to heal.

Lonerock, I hope you do return to backpacking next summer if not sooner. You can see links to a couple of my recent trips for inspiration in the trip report forum.

Have Fun,
-Bob

#196838 - 10/24/16 08:32 PM Re: My back is back [Re: Bob Chiang]
Lonerock Offline

Loc: Southern Oregon
Bob Chiang
I've hiked and backpacked most of my life and been in remote areas while working as a biologist under contract with the BLM and forest service. I've hiked and backpacked in many beautiful places from southern Mexico to the Canadian Rockies. The thought of not continuing to get out in nature is incomprehensible. It's a great motivator for keeping myself in good shape. At this point in my life I don't have any chronic medical problems and don't take any medications. The sound you hear is me knocking
on wood.

#196954 - 11/18/16 02:45 PM Re: My back is back [Re: Bob Chiang]
PaHiker Offline

Loc: Western Pa, USA
I hear ya. Two years ago I did the S.Kaibab/Bright Angel trail. Back was okay, but the knees! I didn't expect steps in the Grand Canyon (who was the fool who thought that up?).

On the way down I stumbled over a piece of rebar sticking too far out of one of the logs, went down on the soft part of the knee. Wobbly the rest of the way down.

#197549 - 01/30/17 12:34 PM Re: My back is back [Re: PaHiker]
Bob Chiang Offline

Here to report on a slight set back and quick recovery.

A couple of weeks ago I went on a trip to the Adirondacks trip 'report' here and managed to hurt my back again. Not from the hiking, but I think from loading heavy stuff into the van in an awkward position. The injury showed up the next day.

I started the McKenzie stretches immediately, and am pretty much back to full function less than two weeks after getting hurt.

After talking with other oldies about their back issues, a common suggestion is to continue the exercises even after recovery. I thought that after I recovered, I wouldn't need to do the exercises any more. Time to accept that this old bod can't do some things it used to, and that it requires preventive maintenance ; )

Have Fun,
-Bob

#197550 - 01/30/17 01:22 PM Re: My back is back [Re: Bob Chiang]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I had a minor but painful back injury in my 40s and a severe knee injury in my mid-50s. I am now 81 and still have to do the exercises for both. It's a life-long PT program! Let it go and you risk re-injuring the affected part! The previously injured part will always need the support of your muscles.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum