Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196594 - 09/15/16 07:51 PM Skin Protection
redforest Offline

I normally hike below tree line and I don’t use sunscreen because of my skin allergies. Before hikes I put some pure jojoba oil on exposed areas of my skin. Sometimes jojoba oil doesn’t absorb well and my face looks too oily.

Recently a fellow hiker recommended me a Viking Shield moisturizer.

Are there other “natural” moisturizers without sunblock out there? Any recommendations? Thank you.

#196597 - 09/16/16 12:51 PM Re: Skin Protection [Re: redforest]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The moisturizers you mention do not block the UV rays, which are what causes skin cancer. Far more effective are zinc oxide and titanium dioxide in a sufficiently thick coating to look opaque, despite the clown-like appearance. Please talk to your physician about this!

I also am allergic to sunscreen. Also, having grown up in an era when tanning was considered healthy, and a good burn and peel at the beginning of the season was considered helpful to my acne-plagued complexion, I now have several precancerous skin lesions being monitored. In the meantime, I must be extra careful to protect my skin from sun. I rely on long pants, long sleeved shirt (both of fabric with a high tested SPF rating), hand protectors (cover the backs of my hands but not the front, so not hot like gloves, and especially useful with trekking poles), and a very dorky but effectively shady hat (Sunday Afternoons Adventure hat). In fact, I wear the hat around town a lot and ignore the stares (the neighborhood has gotten used to it).

Dermatologists are now beginning to realize that in many cases, sunscreen doesn't protect from skin cancer. I became downright paranoid about this a few years ago when my eldest son's wife had most of her upper lip removed due to skin cancer (she works outdoors year-around).

Edited by OregonMouse (09/16/16 12:53 PM)

#196598 - 09/16/16 01:02 PM Re: Skin Protection [Re: OregonMouse]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I too cover up. The older I get, the more prone I am to skin cancer, but thankfully, the less I care about how I look!

I always say you can estimate the age of a backpacker from a long distance; the dorky looking covered up hikers are old farts; the skin showing, fashionable hikers are under 30.

I also cover up because I do a lot of off-trail travel and try as I may, I easily get all scratched up. Guess I am a real klutz in the bushes.

#196600 - 09/18/16 12:59 AM Re: Skin Protection [Re: redforest]
redforest Offline

I agree with OregonMouse: side effects of all sunscreen lotions overweight their sun protection utility. This is why I only use moisturizers.

#196603 - 09/18/16 04:01 PM Re: Skin Protection [Re: redforest]
bluefish Offline

Have you tried aloe vera?

#196605 - 09/18/16 05:13 PM Re: Skin Protection [Re: redforest]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Did you read my statement (based on medical opinion) that moisturizers do not provide any protection from the sun's harmful rays? Please talk to your physician about this! If you don't want to or can't use sunscreen or the messy clown makeup (zinc oxide), covering up is the only alternative.

Edited by OregonMouse (09/18/16 05:15 PM)

#196608 - 09/19/16 03:14 PM Re: Skin Protection [Re: redforest]
BrRabbit Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
I usually wear long sleeve and long pants, especially on a hot summer day and if it's really hot, I might cover my neck with bandanna tied around my neck. And a hat. And I usually carry an umbrella and when I lived in CA - I would open it up for a shadow (not for protection from rain).

And because of taking those precautions, I don't need no sun protection or moisturizers.

#196614 - 09/19/16 05:08 PM Re: Skin Protection [Re: redforest]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
This is why I only use moisturizers.

If you want sun protection, moisturizers will do nothing at all for you. I use long pants, a long-sleeved shirt and a brimmed hat or a bandana when I need sun protection. They prevent sunburn. Moisturizers do not.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum