Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196306 - 08/09/16 05:49 PM Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips?
Ian Campbell Offline

I've always got a flask of whiskey on me - do you bring booze with you on your backpacking trips? What's your go to?

#196308 - 08/09/16 07:54 PM Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? [Re: Ian Campbell]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
a little Irish Cream for coffee or maybe a nip of Bourbon before bedtime.

#196309 - 08/09/16 09:15 PM Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? [Re: BZH]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
We usually bring an airline mini for each night...but each night is a different tipple, just for fun.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#196312 - 08/10/16 11:15 AM Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? [Re: balzaccom]
BZH Offline

I don't drink a whole lot of alcohol. I usually buy alcohol at the grocery store but it usually only comes in 750 ml or larger containers. Maybe I am naive but I recently discovered that neighborhood liquor stores have lots of stuff in little bottles that are nice for backpacking.

#196316 - 08/10/16 03:35 PM Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? [Re: Ian Campbell]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Yup...good bourbon or 100% agave tequila. 1/2 pt. Platypus is perfect for it.

#196317 - 08/10/16 03:42 PM Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? [Re: Dryer]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Nope, I'm back to being a teetotaler again. I walked the West Highland Way last July, basically from pub to pub, and enjoyed the various beers, IPA's and ales that I drank. But aside from that interlude I have been an abstainer for most of the last 40 years and plan to stay that way.

#196320 - 08/10/16 04:45 PM Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? [Re: Pika]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
When at home, I enjoy a beer or a glass of wine with the best of them, but I've never felt the desire to imbibe when out in the woods. Just my surroundings are enough to relax me and make me feel good without adding booze to the mix.

#196321 - 08/10/16 05:51 PM Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? [Re: Ian Campbell]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
No, I've just never felt a need for it. (I also don't drink "in civilization" either; no moral convictions - it just never appealed to me, except for an occasional beer with pizza or wine with spaghetti. Gave that up, though, as part of controlling diabetes without medication.)

I don't object when my close circle of hiking friends bring along a spot of refreshment; I know they can handle it appropriately. If the group I'm going with isn't known to me, I ask about group policy or intent, and make a decision I'm comfortable with.

#196326 - 08/11/16 08:06 PM Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? [Re: Ian Campbell]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Similarly to OregonMouse, I'll drink a glass of wine with dinner just about every night when I am at home or if I am eating in a restaurant. When I'm car camping I'll drink wine or beer very infrequently, maybe one night in twenty. When I am backpacking, never.

#196349 - 08/14/16 01:15 PM Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? [Re: aimless]
Snappypepper Offline

I usually bring an airplane bottle or two of vodka or Fireball. Sometimes it gets carried back home, sometimes only the empty bottles make it home. I enjoy it mostly when it's cold and a little nip helps take the edge off the chill. But I would not feel comfortable drinking to the point of being inebriated since I'm out there to enjoy nature and also feel like I need to keep my wits about me to stay safe!

#196361 - 08/15/16 01:08 PM Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? [Re: Ian Campbell]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
I didn't use to, but generally do now (although only for medicinal purposes. grin) "During the prohibition period in the U.S., Laphroaig was the only whisky legally imported into the country. Apparently, due to the distinct smell of iodine characteristic of the spirit, customs officials could easily be persuaded that the liquid was in fact medicinal."

Edited by ndsol (08/15/16 01:08 PM)

#196592 - 09/15/16 06:39 PM Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? [Re: BZH]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
I usually buy alcohol at the grocery store but it usually only comes in 750 ml or larger containers.[b][/b]
I have heard that some have managed to transfer some alcohol from 750ml bottles into smaller containers...

Almost never in "3 season" but on my winter trips I liked to have a nip of brandy with my very chocolaty hot chocolate at bed time.
I use the smaller solid Nalgene containers for that.

Edited by Franco (09/15/16 06:41 PM)

#196595 - 09/15/16 08:36 PM Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? [Re: Ian Campbell]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
Usually a bit of single malt. I have a dram or so in the evening after dinner - and usually carry enough to share with a few others.

I'm going to have fun this weekend though. Doing a short 2-night trip with a few folks, I'm bringing a small bit of wine to have with my Friday dinner (pasta beef bolognese), and small bit of sake to have with my Saturday dinner (salmon chowder), and a small bit of single malt as an apertif both nights. I even have a nice titanium sake cup for the wine and sake (though the single malt will inhabit the titanium sake bottle).

#196596 - 09/16/16 09:24 AM Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? [Re: JustWalking]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Ok--but what KIND of wine? Grand Cru Burgundy or Hearty Burgundy?

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#196609 - 09/19/16 03:19 PM Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? [Re: Ian Campbell]
BrRabbit Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
It depends and I have ventured backpacking for days without any booze frown

But if the trip is not really challenging, I will do my best to grab some booze. Either some boxed red wine, or Sailor Jerry rum.

#196639 - 09/24/16 09:29 PM Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? [Re: balzaccom]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
It was a Merlot, actually. :-)

#196641 - 09/24/16 10:39 PM Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? [Re: Ian Campbell]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I generally bring a pint of IPA in a can for each of the 1st two nights and that's it. I won't lug anymore than that along but I do plan trips that take me wandering back to my car where I can grab a couple more and keep on exploring if I want.

We're only a month away from our prime backpacking season here. The creeks are still running pretty good too so that should help make it a great season. I'm sure ready for some time in the forests.

"You want to go where?"

#196777 - 10/17/16 08:11 PM Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? [Re: Ian Campbell]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
Recently I took along a 5 ounces of Scotch Whisky and had an ounce after dinner each night. It was very pleasant to have it along and I think I enjoyed the evenings looking forward to my wee nip each night. (Famous Grouse; and quite good for a blended malt).

#196789 - 10/18/16 11:53 AM Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? [Re: Jim M]
Zuuk Offline

Loc: NB, Canada
A lesson I learned many years ago golfing... 12 cans of beer weighs a lot less than 12 bottles! especially on the back nine. Oh to be young & foolish again.

I used to grab a pint of Fireball (hot cinnamon whiskey) to take with me, and while I still enjoy a sip now and again, I find it gives me heartburn now. As I've gotten older, the sips have been getting smaller. I doubt I would bother to take anything now. A good cup of coffee, hot chocolate or tea works for me just as well as a sip would.

#196877 - 10/31/16 10:19 AM Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? [Re: Zuuk]
Stark Offline

There's nothing better than a nice whiskey at the end of a long day.

#196890 - 11/01/16 02:11 PM Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? [Re: BZH]
Linden M Offline

Loc: Alaska in the summers, NOrther...
I bring EverClear "Grain Alcohol" to save weight when backpacking.
I then mix some Kool-Aid with my filtered water for a mixed drink. I do this in moderation of course.

#197545 - 01/30/17 09:56 AM Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? [Re: Ian Campbell]
HPD Offline

Loc: Colorado High Plains
I usually bring something for that end of the day, relaxation time. Whiskey, scotch or brandy usually. Thought about taking 151 rum but decided against it after reading the warning label about having it near fire! It is heavy though, but still worth it if you're into it.
Has anybody ever tried Palcohol? I'm not aware of it being available yet, at least not around my neck of the woods. Still waiting for freeze-dried beer to be invented!!

However, the legalization of some previously illegal organics has opened the door to truly lightweight options! wink

#197546 - 01/30/17 11:35 AM Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? [Re: HPD]
BZH Offline

The thing about Palcohol is that everclear is the most dehyrdated form of alcohol you can get (~5% water). Whatever they do to solidify the alcohol must include adding something to it. Palcohol is not dehydrated alcohol it is solidified alcohol. It cannot be lighter than everclear.

In terms of beer: https://www.patsbcb.com/

#197551 - 01/30/17 01:29 PM Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? [Re: HPD]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
Here is an article about powdered alcohol.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-is-the-big-deal-about-powdered-alcohol/

It appears to use sugars as an absorbent.

#197574 - 02/02/17 11:28 AM Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? [Re: Ian Campbell]
HPD Offline

Loc: Colorado High Plains
Very interesting, thanks BZH & wgiles!!
I did find a place in town that supposedly sells the Backcountry Beverage product. I'll have to check that out. The article on "powdered" alcohol says that one would need a 1/2 cup of Palchohol to make a drink, which doesn't sound too efficient in terms of weight & bulk.
I guess the "old ways" are still the best!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum