Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196202 - 08/02/16 10:38 AM What Kind of Flashlight/Lantern Do You Use?
Ian Campbell Offline

My brother in law has a bit of a flashlight obsession and it's rubbed off a bit on me. He got me a Streamlight lantern for Christmas this past year and I love it but it's a bit heavy for backpacking. Do you have a specific flashlight or lantern that you've found to be a great mix of brightness and lightweight?

#196203 - 08/02/16 10:51 AM Re: What Kind of Flashlight/Lantern Do You Use? [Re: Ian Campbell]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Rechargeable Petzl Tikka series, currently last year's model called RXP (now Reactik). Can charge in the field with a solar kit, making it effectively limitless. The reactive system is pretty slick--transitioning from flood to beam handsfree.

Watch out--the flashlight bug can get expensive! smile

Cheers,

#196204 - 08/02/16 11:25 AM Re: What Kind of Flashlight/Lantern Do You Use? [Re: Rick_D]
bluefish Offline

The Luci solar lanterns have worked well for me. Good as a lantern and have used them night hiking, too.

#196215 - 08/02/16 04:52 PM Re: What Kind of Flashlight/Lantern Do You Use? [Re: Ian Campbell]
steve-in-kville Offline

Loc: Rural Pennsylvania
After owning many quite expensive rechargeable lights over the years, I finally bought an Energizer brand light about a year back. Cost me $15, takes two AA's. Love that thing!

As for a headlamp, I have a Petz LED that I really like. I've been using Pezl headlamps for 15+ years now, can't go wrong.

#196218 - 08/02/16 05:17 PM Re: What Kind of Flashlight/Lantern Do You Use? [Re: steve-in-kville]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I have a 10-year-old Princeton Tec headlamp that is regulated so can safely use lithium batteries. A set of batteries lasts for months even though I also use the headlamp a lot around home (great for hands-free cleaning or repairs under the kitchen sink, for example). While it's a bit heavier than I'd like, I've tried a few lightweight ones (such as the Petzl e+Lite) and found that they don't provide enough light for safe night hiking.

For a week or longer trip, I put in a fresh set of batteries and don't need to take spares.

I frankly have not felt the need to check the market recently to see if these headlamps are still being made--the one I have is doing just fine, thank you.

Edited by OregonMouse (08/02/16 05:19 PM)

#196220 - 08/02/16 07:04 PM Re: What Kind of Flashlight/Lantern Do You Use? [Re: Ian Campbell]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
Depends on what you mean by lightweight, of course. I'm a huge fan of my Fenix PD32 flashlight. Some folks would consider it heavy at 2.7 oz. excluding batteries, but it throws a LOT of light when you need it to, and in low mode (good enough for night hiking) it'll last over 30 hours.

#196221 - 08/02/16 07:12 PM Re: What Kind of Flashlight/Lantern Do You Use? [Re: JustWalking]
Snappypepper Offline

Petzl Tikka headlamp. I can wrap it around a Nalgene with the light pointing up from the bottom and it makes an excellent tent lantern that way.

#196222 - 08/02/16 09:33 PM Re: What Kind of Flashlight/Lantern Do You Use? [Re: Ian Campbell]
edfardos Offline

Loc: CA
Olight sr20. I like the lithium battery, multiple intensity levels, and lowest setting lasts 28 days. Cellphone/usb charger. Not a headlamp, could be lighter. I'd prefer a rear button too.

Stuff to consider,

Edfardos

Edited by edfardos (08/02/16 09:34 PM)

#196223 - 08/02/16 09:36 PM Re: What Kind of Flashlight/Lantern Do You Use? [Re: Ian Campbell]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Petzl Zipka Plus 2. I like the fact that it has both red and white LEDs, and the retractable cord makes it very compact to store.

If I wanted a flashlight instead of a headlamp, it would be a Mini-Mag.

#196225 - 08/02/16 10:34 PM Re: What Kind of Flashlight/Lantern Do You Use? [Re: Ian Campbell]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
A white coin cell LED and a Red coin cell LED. I like Inova Microlights. About 1/2 oz. total for both lights and I wear them on a string around my neck.
I've never had the need for much light and the little coin cell lights are way more than adequate. Red for night vision preservation.

#196229 - 08/03/16 08:30 AM Re: What Kind of Flashlight/Lantern Do You Use? [Re: Dryer]
Ken S Offline

Loc: Saint Charles, MO
petzl zipka

#196232 - 08/03/16 09:08 AM Re: What Kind of Flashlight/Lantern Do You Use? [Re: Ken S]
Dryer Offline

Zipka.....too heavy (2.4 ounces) and too expensive for my tastes, for hiking. wink

I have a Black Diamond head lamp (like Petzl) for around the house. My go-to flashlight.

#196261 - 08/06/16 12:19 PM Re: What Kind of Flashlight/Lantern Do You Use? [Re: Dryer]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
A couple of $15 tiny headlamps for us. We don't hike at night..or wander around much after dark.

Luci, as noted, is a great solution for a tent light.. but we usually save the weight and leave it home an backpacking trips.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#196264 - 08/06/16 12:43 PM Re: What Kind of Flashlight/Lantern Do You Use? [Re: balzaccom]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I doubt that many of us plan to hike at night, except perhaps where it's really hot, but I was in an emergency situation two years ago in which we had to hike out after dark. All I had was a Petzl e+lite and it wasn't good for much. My grandson, who had my Princeton Tec headlamp, went ahead and turned around at every rough spot on the trail to light the way for me--not easy with his sprained ankle. It took us two hours to go one mile! The little e+lite went in the trash when I got home!

Edited by OregonMouse (08/06/16 12:44 PM)

#196269 - 08/06/16 08:45 PM Re: What Kind of Flashlight/Lantern Do You Use? [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I tried the e+Lite, too - pretty much the same conclusion and final resting place. Thus the Zipka (sorry, Paul; the extra two ounces are worth it, to me.)

#196272 - 08/07/16 12:08 AM Re: What Kind of Flashlight/Lantern Do You Use? [Re: OregonMouse]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Yup. "things" happen and once in a while I find myself hiking well past sundown, usually on crummy trails. A legit navigating light is worth its weight in platinum for those times. Fact is LED technology has made carrying a nice head torch painless. Predawn summiters once toted mining lights powered by lantern batteries or 4x D cells (or carbide lamps). We're lucky as can be.

Cheers,

#196279 - 08/07/16 12:24 PM Re: What Kind of Flashlight/Lantern Do You Use? [Re: Ken S]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
It depends on the situation. If climbing and seriously might need to walk out at dark I carry a very nice (yet inexpensive) Everyready headlamp with 4 settings. It has proven to be adequate in every situation. However in summer just backpacking I carry a cheap lightweight LED that attaches to my baseball cap and uses just 2 button batteries. In addition a little LED tent light that takes just one AAA battery. One is a backup for the other and both very light and I actually could walk out with either in an emergency.

I have, on two occasions, tested a couple of different head lamps and flashlights by hiking in late in the evening and purposely walking out after dark on a local little mountain. It was fun and I learned a lot. Try this; while you are walking after dark with your head lamp, take it off and hand hold it like a flashlight. It works very well, maybe even better than on you head because it is closer to the ground.

#196280 - 08/07/16 12:30 PM Re: What Kind of Flashlight/Lantern Do You Use? [Re: JustWalking]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
I looked up the Fenix PD32 flashlight. I can see why you like it. I have a couple of very similar flashlights I purchased for work and I can't believe how bright they are. Unless you need your hands free (cooking, climbing, setting up a tent) a flashlight is every bit as good as a head lamp. Maybe even better for walking in the dark.

#196281 - 08/07/16 03:14 PM Re: What Kind of Flashlight/Lantern Do You Use? [Re: Jim M]
toddfw2003 Offline

I have a black diamond headlamp. It works good when it works but half the time it turns on in my pack so I also have to have a backup

#196289 - 08/08/16 12:41 AM Re: What Kind of Flashlight/Lantern Do You Use? [Re: toddfw2003]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
I too have a Streamlight product. and it is a joy to use. the one I'd rather take is the Streamlight "stylus".. simple white led flashlight fed by three AAAA's, about the size of a ball point pen and weighs in at 33g (batteries installed) If I were only using it for around camp yeoman duty I'd take it all the time. But the one that gets packed is usually my Blackdiamond "revolt" headlamp- 115g with 4 AAA's. it kicks out a lot of light, both white and red, and has adjustable output for either. one problem for me, at least is that all SL products only come in black..iirc the price was about the same for either

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (08/08/16 12:43 AM)

#196291 - 08/08/16 12:00 PM Re: What Kind of Flashlight/Lantern Do You Use? [Re: toddfw2003]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By toddfw2003
I have a black diamond headlamp. It works good when it works but half the time it turns on in my pack so I also have to have a backup

I have two black diamond headlamps. The newer one has a lot of control with the button switch. I can dim the light and switch between multiple functions. I've had that exact same problem. The button tuns on the light very easily and runs out the battery. The old is simple on/off with a pretty good sized button switch. Never had that problem with it.

#196297 - 08/08/16 04:17 PM Re: What Kind of Flashlight/Lantern Do You Use? [Re: Ian Campbell]
DustinV Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
I carry a Fenix light (PD22) because it's really small, has useful brightness settings ( 8 - ~250 lumens), but what I really like is that Fenix makes a diffuser tip for it they call a lampshade. It's a clear plastic tip that has a conical reflector (inverse to the reflector in the flashlight) to spread the light in a nice outward and downward pattern. The tip holds the light upside-down via little friction tabs.

I hang the diffuser in the peak of my tarp and then plug the flashlight in when I enter and grab the flashlight when I exit. I like that the flashlight is pointing up, not shining straight down into my eyes.

Also, the diffuser is a less than an ounce and makes it easy to find my flashlight when it's off.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum