Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196193 - 08/01/16 06:01 PM Suggest a tent for a tall backpacker?
edfardos Offline

Loc: CA
I'm a fair weather weekend backpacker, mostly fishing trips. Biggest trip was 7 nights in the Desolation Wilderness (sierra nevada). I'm not a through hiker. My old feet will allow me to hike 6miles a day at most with a 40lb pack, which I'd like to lighten up.

My shelter is an obvious place for me to drop weight.

I'm 6'2" and want a long tent for me, and possibly my big 110 liter pack. I'd like to get it under 3lbs. I currently have a heavy/rugged/roomy/cheap Alps Lynx2 at 6lbs.

This new tent would be pitched on pine needles, granite slabs, possibly sharp gravel. I discovered tyvek already, love it.

Looking for three seasons, occasional thunderstorm, and possibly hail that we randomly get in the Sierra Nevada summers.

I can spend possibly $400.

Since I already have a 6lb rugged/spacious 2P tent, I'd like something half that weight that gets me and my pack out of the rain. I'd really like a 1.5 person tent smile

Anything less than 88" is too short (that's the length of the Alps Lynx2, and I get a bit of condensation at the foot of my down bag from time to time).

I'm really not willing to commit to a hammock, the zpacks material looks too fragile to me. Other ultralight tents seem like they're more "film" than fabric. I'd prefer a bathtub bottom with higher than average walls for rain splash.

I'd prefer a rain fly that goes all the way to the ground, with a drip line that doesn't drip on the tent. Water dripping on to the edge of the tent would likely wick it's way between the floor and tyvek ground cloth. I know this sounds picky.

Single door, preferably side, one (and only one) vestibule. Rainbow door would work if I had to have it.

Having said all that, I'm really interested in your opinions and experience. You guys were a huge help with my tent choice for me and the Mrs last time.

My current research is this:

REI quarter dome 1p 2'10" 90(40/33)" $230
PRO: vertical side walls, high walls, reachable vent, price
CON: fragile, not freestanding, dripline on tent, asymetric

Big Agnes Cu Spur U1 2'8" 90(42/30)" $380
PRO: freestanding, high walls, fairly vertical walls
CON: fragile, dripline? expensive, pack wont fit in vestibule, price

Big Agnes Cu Spur U2 3'2"(3'4.6") 90(52/42)" $429
PRO: space, freestanding, high walls, fairly vertical walls, backpack fits
CON: fragile, heavy, dripline? expensive

Honorable mention:

MSR Freelite 2 (84" fail)
Fly Creek UL1 (86" fail, not fully free standing)
MSR Hubba NX (84" fail, 3'13")

Current tent:

Alps Lynx 2 (88" - six pounds!)

Edited by edfardos (08/01/16 06:17 PM)

#196194 - 08/01/16 06:31 PM Re: Suggest a tent for a tall backpacker? [Re: edfardos]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
This was recommended to me. also check out the six moon design lunar solo. http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/tents/lightheart-solong6-tents

#196196 - 08/01/16 07:46 PM Re: Suggest a tent for a tall backpacker? [Re: edfardos]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
It seems you're drawn to the Copper Spur tents. If so, but you're worried about durability/fabric strength, go to the Big Agnes website and search tents by intended use. You'll find the CS in the Ultralight series. However, if you look in the Superlight and Backpacking/Camping series, you'll probably find CS clones in heavier fabrics. I didn't look to see which model name you want, or what the weights were, but I do know CS makes their popular models (Fly Creek and Copper Spur) in each series, at different price points. You actually may be able to have your tent and sleep in it, too.

#196198 - 08/01/16 07:59 PM Re: Suggest a tent for a tall backpacker? [Re: edfardos]
edfardos Offline

Todd - checked out the "tarp tents". I'd love to pitch a tent on all that glorious soil the showed in the demo video. However, tent stakes aren't always an option on slabs of granite here, so I might add "free standing" or "mostly free standing" as a requirement. I typically have to use rocks and bungie cord to pitch a tight tent here.

Glen - Big Agnes site -- sweet! they make a heavier Copper Spur, and call it a Rattle Snake. I'll do more investigation here as well, comparing durability.

Edited by edfardos (08/01/16 07:59 PM)

#196201 - 08/02/16 09:02 AM Re: Suggest a tent for a tall backpacker? [Re: edfardos]
bluefish Offline

I've had great luck with a UL BA tent. Many nights in the Sierra and elsewhere, totaling about 300 with one repair from BA that was 10 bucks plus postage. Still going....

#196206 - 08/02/16 11:50 AM Re: Suggest a tent for a tall backpacker? [Re: edfardos]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I suggest you look at the Lightheart SoLong tent. I've got a regular solo tent by them (not an extra long one), and am very happy with it --- it's sort of a hybrid between single-wall and double-wall tent, and weighs about what a typical single walled tent does. The SoLong model is just under 2 pounds, assuming you're a person who hikes with trekking poles (which are used as tent supports).

Anyway, have a look here.

#196243 - 08/04/16 12:33 AM Re: Suggest a tent for a tall backpacker? [Re: BrianLe]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
Check out some of big sky's tents. They are free standing http://bigskyproducts.com/big-sky-mirage-1p-tent.aspx

#196300 - 08/08/16 06:50 PM Re: Suggest a tent for a tall backpacker? [Re: toddfw2003]
edfardos Offline

big sky - also looking good. 91" for the 1P Big Sky Mirage!

thanks!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum