Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195925 - 06/25/16 08:58 AM Garmin Etrex Vista
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
OK. I have a Garmin Etrex Vista H which I have used very little. I have searched the manuals and tried to find videos etc but have not found the answer I have been looking for. I have been on a particular trail through the Michigan UP backcountry several times and it is very poorly marked and hard to navigate. On a trip back in 2009 I marked a bunch of waypoints thinking when/if I returned I could find my way quickly if I lost the trail. Now I am returning and have these waypoints so if I start at one end and say go to nearest point will it automatically go to the next nearest point or do I have to keep advancing it to the next point?

Also if I do the above either manually advancing points or letting the GPS advance it can I simultaneously record a track or route?

I think that when I recorded this back in 2009 I generated a track because I produced a map using my NG Michigan TOPO but the GPS track is long since gone.

The plan is to use the map until I get off track and then find the trail again using the GPS. Navigating in the Michigan UP is not a straight forward exercise due to clearcuts, unmarked two tracks, swamps etc. Getting a bearing on the next know point and going to it is frequently not possible due to these problems.

Thanks.

PS: I also am finding that I really hate auto correct. I look back and the word that I thought I had typed has been changed.

#195927 - 06/25/16 05:21 PM Re: Garmin Etrex Vista [Re: GrumpyGord]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Can't help with GPS (hopeless Luddite in my backpacking life: map and compass guy.) However, I can definitely relate with autocorrect - what with always trying to fix me, it's like having a second wife. smile

OK, let the "you're sexist" beatings begin. (It really wasn't intended that way, and, truth be told, I still probably need some fixing. As I've frequently said here, I married a whole lot better than Karol did.)

#195930 - 06/25/16 06:38 PM Re: Garmin Etrex Vista [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
It ain't just you sexist men lol who have problems with autocorrect! IMHO, it should be banned!

I'm strictly a map-and-compass person, too, so can't offer GPS help. Hopefully someone will come along who knows something; they usually do! At least here in the NW, it's a beautiful day and I'm probably the only person not out hiking!

Edited by OregonMouse (06/25/16 06:40 PM)

#195934 - 06/26/16 08:23 AM Re: Garmin Etrex Vista [Re: OregonMouse]

I certainly prefer map and compass also but in this area there is a section of several miles of old burned over stumps with several small wooded sections where the trail changes direction so nothing to get a bearing on. My thought is the GPS will get me through this section. Not a deal breaker as I have made it through in the past but it is slow going. Obviously GPS is not a big part of my hiking style.

I am amused and annoyed by some folks who do not seem to be able to find their own bathroom without a GPS. There is a VERY popular loop trail near by recently discovered by the facebook group where the trail is packed down to the point that you could follow it in the dark and folks keep posting GPS tracks on facebook along with 30+ pictures of the same spots which have been shown 30 times before. There is a reason why I got the nick name of GrumpyGord.

#195937 - 06/26/16 01:10 PM Re: Garmin Etrex Vista [Re: GrumpyGord]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Originally Posted By GrumpyGord
OK. I have a Garmin Etrex Vista H which I have used very little. I have searched the manuals and tried to find videos etc but have not found the answer I have been looking for. I have been on a particular trail through the Michigan UP backcountry several times and it is very poorly marked and hard to navigate. On a trip back in 2009 I marked a bunch of waypoints thinking when/if I returned I could find my way quickly if I lost the trail. Now I am returning and have these waypoints so if I start at one end and say go to nearest point will it automatically go to the next nearest point or do I have to keep advancing it to the next point?

So long as you organize the waypoints into a route and navigate the route by selecting it from the Garmin's route menu, it will take you from waypoint to waypoint automagically. Easiest to create routes in the Garmin software (or Topo) and upload them to your unit.

Quote:
Also if I do the above either manually advancing points or letting the GPS advance it can I simultaneously record a track or route?

A track will record automatically so long as your track storage isn't full (even then it probably just overwrites the oldest saved track). I save my tracks daily.
Quote:

I think that when I recorded this back in 2009 I generated a track because I produced a map using my NG Michigan TOPO but the GPS track is long since gone.

Tracks get overwritten, as noted above, but recorded waypoints live on until you delete them.
Quote:

The plan is to use the map until I get off track and then find the trail again using the GPS. Navigating in the Michigan UP is not a straight forward exercise due to clearcuts, unmarked two tracks, swamps etc. Getting a bearing on the next know point and going to it is frequently not possible due to these problems.

GPSs are a great help wherever one's traveling XC, when trails are unmaintained and maps have errors. Also in heavy forest or when weather is so crappy one has no points of geographical reference.

Cheers,

#195948 - 06/26/16 07:48 PM Re: Garmin Etrex Vista [Re: Rick_D]

Thanks Rick.It looks like if I just go to the TOPO software and create a route everything should work out OK. I have 61 waypoints for the 27 miles and the Garmin will take 250 points so I should be able to even navigate the route where the trail is not a direct track between waypoints. I do have the track from the original trip so I know where the trail goes on the map even if there are no recorded waypoints. Obviously map and compass is less hassle.

#195955 - 06/27/16 12:45 PM Re: Garmin Etrex Vista [Re: Rick_D]

I went to NG- TOPO and generated a route. Not bad but it just does straight lines and is limited to 50 points. Nothing too far off from the original track so it should be OK. I could have made it better by breaking up the original track into segments and making a couple of 50 point routes but it was not that big of a problem. I have already spent more time than it is worth but like a lot of people once I get on the problem I want to continue until I solve it and not just quit.

On another note: I have had TOPO Michigan for several years and it will not interface with the newer Garmin with USB port, only COM ports. I purchased an upgrade to TOPO 4.5 which handles USB but will not allow doing anything like zoom, mark waypoints, routes, etc so I have been doing the work on the original and then loading it into 4.5 to transfer. I thought well I purchased both programs and it is ridiculous that they do not work like they should so I contacted NG and their reply says that since it is a discontinued program they no longer support it. I have a lot of programs which have been discontinued or replaced but they still provide a certain amount of support. I am not impressed. I replied to their email with a two word reply. The first word was horse.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum