Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195629 - 06/02/16 04:14 PM Favorite Hikes in Upstate NY?
BlueMelody Offline

Loc: Soon to be San Francisco
I'm heading to upstate NY this weekend to whitewater raft on the Hudson and I'm camping in the Lake George area...

Any hiking suggestions would be awesome! I'm an amateur nature/landscape photographer, so hikes leading to waterfalls, or summits with good views are ideal!

Thank you! smile

#195632 - 06/02/16 07:30 PM Re: Favorite Hikes in Upstate NY? [Re: BlueMelody]
scratchtp Offline

Loc: New York
I have only gotten to the Adirondacks once, but there are a lot of nice hikes in that region you could look into. If you are looking for summits, the high peaks region is supposed to be very beautiful. The Lake Colden Marcy Dam loop is very popular, and from pictures I have seen, pretty impressive. Right in Lake George you can do the Tongue Mountain Range, which has some great views. I recently went to the pharaoh lakes region, which was very nice, but if you are looking for impressive peaks or waterfalls it might not be the best. I put up a trip report just a couple of weeks ago if you search for it in this subforum. That way you can get an idea of the scenery there.

If you are into canoeing/rafting, there is also the northern forest canoe trail which passes through that area, some sections are easy to do across calm lakes, but some are supposed to have quite a few rapids, especially coming out of the Adirondacks. I haven't done any part of it personally, but have heard it's beautiful.

If you are going to be doing a lot of hiking in that area this time of year, I would recommend head nets and copious amounts of bug spray. When we went a few weeks ago the black flies were pretty bad.

#195641 - 06/03/16 08:34 AM Re: Favorite Hikes in Upstate NY? [Re: scratchtp]
bluefish Offline

I'd highly recommend the southern section of the Tongue Mt. Range. from Clay Meadows, rather than the northern access which leads to the rather overrated and easy Deer Leap. The section up on the ridge is rugged and interspersed with absolutely spectacular views, the lake section of the trail from Montcalm Point has beautiful forest and waterfalls. Farther back in this section I have a report from this past winter. Just be cautious around the ledges, this area has lots of timber rattlers, that are now out. They are not aggressive and no one seems to ever be bit, just be cautious and a great photo op may present itself! In the Lake George Wilderness Area,Shelving Rock Falls can be combined with hikes to Shelving Rock, Buck, Sleeping Beauty and Black Mts., along with some very pretty ponds. All those peaks will have great views down on the Lake and the islands and views out to Vermont.
My favorite is Sleeping Beauty and making a loop to come out around the shore of Bump's Pond for the return to Dacy Clearing. Black Mt. from the trail to Black Mt. Point is steep but very rewarding. Parking is near the end of Hogtown Rd.. Bring bug dope and a head net, the black flies can be bad. The best short hike is Sleeping Beauty if you have a high clearance vehicle to get into the second lot at Dacy Clearing rather than the lot right on Hogtown. , otherwise Buck Mt. or Shelving Rock if time is short.

Edited by bluefish (06/03/16 09:01 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum